Posts by pima1234

Will is correct. Multi-tracked, for sure. It's a mix of a wide variety of tones. He was (at as can be seen in the video) his Marshall Club 'n' Country and his Hentocaster, but I doubt that's all we're hearing. Almost certainly a Plexi, but possibly also a Hiwatt (which I believe he was using live around that time).

Oddly enough, I have only ever been able to get the tone using a Wampler Sovereign into my very limited run JCA Circuits GR1.6 amp on a very precise setting, with a humbucker of course. Playing near the bridge helps too.

When I get some real time, I will dial this into the KPA.

When the Del/Rev Balance is dimed (100%), there is no perceivable reverb effect that I can hear.

I'm using the Small Room Reverb Effect.

Would love some replies from other users here.

Will's suggestion is outstanding, but there is a noticeable modulation effect (not the same type of mod found in something like the Neunaber Wet reverb).

I can't quite get the classic UniVibe tone yet. I've owned an Effectrode Tube-Vibe, so I know what I'm after. Not everyone even likes the Vibe on the new Mobius pedal. Nevertheless, it is good to have that tone available, and there will likely be newer versions over time.

Stellar recognition for a well-earned contribution to all the KPA owners out there. Congratulations.

Been playing around with your original session rigs, and they are stellar. 'D' tones in spades. They are close as I'll ever get to Peter Lerche's fantastic tones in his youtube video. Thank you for your work.

Now if I can just nail Alex Lifeson's tone in the original Moving Pictures version of Limelight. I can't quite dial it in yet. Of course, that wasn't a D-type amp.

I'm able to hear much more of what I hear when playing directly through a tube amp at louder volume, yes.

Your clips are great. The key factor is my headphones. I need to upgrade, particularly since I spend a lot of time right now playing through the KPA with headphones.

And you still hear it today?

The effect of it was very minimal and only occasional. Some profiles were better than others. I do understand what intermodulation is (cone cry/ghost notes too), and I have a number of tube amps and lots of experience with modelers in the past. Of course FW 1.6 really has solved the problem as far as I can tell so far.

Best example of intermodulation is the end of Working Man. We're all experienced that, even tried intentionally to play around with those sounds. Embrace the weirdness!

The aliasing that was there in the Kemper was not always an issue. Some profiles showed no signs of it, and I avoid adding much gain to most profiles (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't). Those that did (even cleaner ones), always seemed to have something funky going on in the high end. It really was more apparent with higher gain. I haven't spent enough time with the KPA tonight (too much on here and TGP!), but I've noticed a change in the overall tonal response, it seems. Still wanting to get more clarity and chime out of some profiles, but I've not had the KPA long enough, nor enough time to really learn how to get the most out of it.

Thanks for v1.6!

One of my older students commented last week that the KPA resembles HAM radios and that the Kemper logo resembles the ARRL one (which it does).

That's just very cool and completely appropriate. A new technology for a new age.

Those are great clips, and I've listened to them before. Representative of what is possible with the KPA.

I'm actually learning what to listen for when playing through my KPA instead of a actual amp, and I'm hearing more now that I'm becoming more aware. Headphones are just not the ideal monitoring source (just like mixing or mastering). I need to upgrade mine, for sure.

What I noticed is that the clips usually sound great through my Logitech Z5500. But, I lose a lot of what I hear when playing the Kemper through AKG K240 cans. Then, I listened to the same soundcloud clip on the computer with the same headphones, and that's it.

Here's the one:
    https://soundcloud.com/okstrat/fender-twin-profile

Thanks Okstrat/Stratotone.

The tone is better when I play through my Alesis M1 Active MKII studio monitors. They're not great, but it's quite fun to hear what the KPA can do!

The louder, the better, for sure.

I will be saving for better headphones.

Thanks for the replies.

FYI, for a "real" example:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE5h4uLAAYA
    About 1:40 in. I think he has this up close to break up, so it will be pretty loud at that point, even for a low wattage amp.

There's a different, but the KPA gets so much closer to the real sound than anything else I've ever used.

I experience this too. A lot of us have. It is not the same as cone cry or ghost notes. It's definitely in there. I find it's particularly apparent when bending more than one string, or bending one note against another static note. And, it is more prominent with gain. Some profiles are better than others. There may be a need to work that out in the profile refining process.

What are you doing to get the kerrang and chime of real speakers in the KPA? I'm just not quite hearing that, and I've downloaded a large number of great profiles. There still just something missing, but I'll bet that just like when playing through a real speaker cab, it takes more volume to achieve and in my case, maybe a better amplification source.

Kerrang = midrange bell-like quality
    Chime= trebly ringing quality