Posts by skyhighrocks

OK...I just noticed this while getting my rig together for my gig tomorrow.

I was having a problem with turning effects/stomps on/off using a GCP. I noticed tonight the following:

I have 4 presets for the bottom row...they are as follows:

1 - acoustic/clean
    2 - crunch/mid gain rhythm
    3 - heavy rhythm
    4 - lead

I have things set up so the GCP remembers the state of the Kemper. For example, I have delay on at all times on each preset so when I go from preset to preset, IA switch 8 is always on. No problems there.

Now...when I am on, let's say, preset 2 and I turn on IA switch 6 for flanger, it turns on...

Then, without turning off the flanger, I switch to preset 3 which already has the flanger in switch 6 off. If I then try to turn it on in this new preset, it doesn't turn on in the Kemper because the Kemper remembers it being on with the previous preset last.

My question is....how do I program all this so that when I switch presets, the Kemper starts fresh...if that makes sense?

How are you getting your IA switches to turn on and off 100% of the time. It's an issue I've been battling for weeks now. Works about 90% of the time and then sometimes I have to step on a switch 4 times to get it to change on the Kemper.

skyhighrocks...

FWIW... My GCP has firmware v1.13.

We've spoken via PM off of TGP for a bit.

Are you having no issues at all? If so, then an update may be in order for me. I could swear I've seen other guys complain about the same problem with the newer firmware too. I just got done playing and the issue is happening more frequently now...it's weird.

You can now pre-order Voiceless! If you have already donated previously (there are a few guys here who have), you're covered...you have a copy coming when it's available (still aiming for early March for the finished product). If you haven't donated and want a copy, head on over to my website to place your order! Remember, all proceeds are being donated to Hasbro Children's Hospital to benefit Crohn's Disease reseach.

http://richardantonelli.com/home.cfm

The Kemper was used on more than a few songs!

ok...did more testing. With my heavy duty, 30ft midi cable, the problem persists...

With a 1 foot heavy duty midi cable, it was a little better.

Now the weird part...with a 15 foot cheap midi cable, it performed much better when using the switches. I don't want to say it was perfect but it wasn't as bad as with the better cables.

Now the dilemma...for most stages, the 15 footer should be ok. But I occasionally play shows on decent size stages where the 15 footer will be too short to go from backline to front of stage.

Those that have it working properly, what brand and length midi cable are you using??

I posted this and saw you tested three cables... I'd go after the firmware on the GCP pro then. Current is 1.13, I have 1.12. 1.02 for any device would make me a little curious because it would obviously be pretty early in the product's development. The Rocktron Midi Raider is starting to look better all the time though.

I may do that. I emailed Voodoo about it and they told me 1.02 should be fine. It's $15 for the upgrade so I might as well give it a go.

Thanks for the link...

I have tested 3 different midi cables...same problem with each. I mean, it's not the end of the world and Kemper is supposedly working on some sort of fix for a future firmware update, but it'd be nice to know why it acts like this.

Just tested mine again (FW 1.12, btw) and I keep most of my fx off and then turn them on. When I do this, the GCP works perfectly. BUT, if I have something on like slot A and hit the footswitch to turn it off, it seems like the first time tells it to turn 'on' again, so it acts like it doesn't see it, second click turns it off. I also tried with XMIT on patch change or whatever it's called and normal setting, both behave the same. I hardly ever have fx turned on my patches to begin with, so I never really noticed it. If I did have something on I would need to turn off later, I'd tap it one time - as long as you don't change entire presets, it will remember that even if you hit other IAs and then it's a single tap. Kinda a pain in the ass though.

I haven't seen it act otherwise and tested the crap out of it this morning - it's a 100% thing. I have mine set to channel 1 on the footswitch and kemper, and channel 2 is a TC nova system.

Pete

I guess I could try it like that but my presets always have delay on. It's the others that are off all the time on each preset that seems to be giving me the problems. For example, I have a flanger on switch IA6. It's off in all my presets. But when I step on it to engage it, it will turn on in the Kemper (stomp D) 9 out of 10 times. It's that 1 time where it doesn't that is very random.

Happy birthday BTW!

Any other theories on this issue? I did email Kemper about it but the gentleman that replied was trying to reproduce the problem on an FCB1010. I know there are those that use the GCP with no issues at all so I'm wondering if they could chime in and offer assistance!