Posts by jbab

The presets sound fizzy through the headphone output yes. As far as speakers go, I had connected the headphone output to my living room sound system's (I know :P) aux input, just for fun. While it did not sound amazing, it did sound very good and most of the fizz was gone. And the cabinet is always turned on.

For recording, I am using the Kemper's monitor out set to Master mono.

Last time I checked my headphones they were fine, but I'll test them to be sure. However, I have listened to recordings through different media (earbuds and computer speakers) and it still sounded fizzy.

Hi guys,

I've had my Kemper for a couple weeks now, and as much as I love it, I'm going through something that has been a consistent problem for me: Finding a nice tone for recording. I own a good pair of headphones (Audio Technica ATH-M500) and am aware that recording and mixing through them is usually not ideal, but in my current situation I have to keep things quiet and can't afford studio monitors.

So far, I have been able to find great tones for just doodling around. I have found that while most of them sound great through speakers, they tend to sound fizzy through headphones. One thing to remedy to this is the "Amp in the room with headphones" trick, which pretty much consists of adding reverb and turning it all the way up in the mix to get the illusion that you're sitting in a room in front of a speaker. However, you obviously don't want to use that for recordings... But without that trick, my tone goes back to being this fizzy mess, and EQing helps but doesn't quite cut the deal. Some will say lower the treble/presence, but although it reduces the fizz, it doesn't get rid of it (unless you turn the treble all the way down) and makes the guitars in the mix sound lifeless.

I have heard many demos of the Kemper,
    both full mixes and guitars only, and they all
    sounded amazing
    through headphones. None of them had that fizz that I'm getting. I have also tried presets that have been proved to sound great (Keith Merrow's new rig pack and Ola Englund's triple rec for instance). Same thing.

What advice could you guys give me so that I can get a good tone for recording? I'm after Mark V or Dual Rec metal kind of tones.

TL,DR: Heard tones that sounded amazing through headphones, can't get one myself. Too much fizz unless I use "amp in the room" trick. Can't record with them.

I may be able to to get my hands on a 8004 for cheap, what are your feelings on it? Do you think it will be loud enough for a band situation?

EDIT: I have also found a Peavey classic 50/50 for a decent price, what would you recommend?

Hi guys,
    Although I had been looking into a power amp for my Kemper (I already have a good cab), I have been seriously considering going for a TS112a instead, since I heard so many good things about them. What I'm wondering here is how well it would do in a band situation. Is it going to be loud/cut through enough? It seems like a lot of people on this forum went the active speaker route. Can anyone share their experiences/thoughts on the matter?

The band I'm thinking of is your typical drum, bass, two guitars, vocalist kind of setup.

Much appreciated,

It took a very long time to get mine at L&M, probably 3-4 months. I got mine in Nov. 2012. Yes, it is an extremely long wait, but definitley worth it. I was lucky to have ordered mine at $1599, before L&M did the price increase.

3-4 MONTHS?!?!????? Dude you gotta be kidding, I could have ordered it from the US and it would have been faster. I even saw a store in the UK that had it in stock and sold it for cheaper than L&M, shipping and all included... Damn, I've been researching and saving up for that thing for over a year now, I wished I could have had it faster after finally deciding to get it...

Hi guys,

For all of you who ordered a Kemper in Canada, how much time did it take before coming in? I ordered mine a week ago from Long & McQuade, and although they first said I'd be getting it in a week or two, they recently told me that they hadn't heard back from the distributor yet, and that the Kemper is still listed as backordered. I kind of sucks, because now I'm expecting to wait for at least a month before I get it (they said I probably wouldn't be getting it any time soon), and I let an offer for a used one pass because I already paid a non-refundable deposit.

Has anyone had a similar experience, and can someone please enlighten me on this backorder thing?

Thanks!