Posts by Quitty

I think building dedicated controllers for computer software is a logical thing.
    'Push' for Ableton Live comes to mind but also Akai or NI or Korg as you mentioned.
    The days of 'only generic' controllers are over, at least when you want to take software plus realtime performance to the next level.

Could you expand on that?
    What does a dedicated foot controller do that a generic one does not?
    I feel handicapped, i can't think of anything beyond a couple of expression pedals and on/off switches.

I remember Armin saying that XFXII presets need a lot (really, though. A LOT) of refining to sound right. I believe Armin quoted an hour or so but i might be wrong.

Thanks for the tip - I'll give it a go.
    For curiosity's sake - what kind of player are you? Shredding, rhythm, old-school, jazz?..

I'm wondering if cranking the input gain would be the equivalent of using high output pickups or using a really clean boost - i do tend to like low output pups better, maybe you do too :)

The KPA most certainly produces higher levels than a passive guitar, at the very least, but these are mostly burst noises.
    The rating on your speakers is a max continuous rating and is a measure of their ability to disperse heat - it's nothing to do with a 50 second noise.

It should be very, very difficult to break a speaker by playing a sharp sound through it. You can't even tear the cone - you'd have to make the voice coil break free and i've actually never heard of that happening - but maybe someone else has had a different experience.

Haven't tried the Zoom, but pretty much anything MIDI should work. Or am i missing something? ?(

You can always go hunting for an old ADA MFC-1 on Ebay. They can be had for 40$ if you're persistent, and work like a charm.

I actually had a battered, non-working one that came with my MP-1 back in the 90's and died on me a decade ago.
    I butchered it for the PCB and built my own DIY foot controller out of stray bits of wooden flooring and some momentary switches. Looks like sh**, but works like a charm -
    and the expression on the soundman's face when i got up on stage and plugged a piece of parquet to a toaster was priceless 8)

" i don't expect to have to compromise anymore"

Good luck with that. Life is compromise :)

EDITED: Sorry. I've no reason to be an a*hole.

No offense, man, and i hope i got you wrong and you were kidding, but when you buy a 100W tube head you don't expect to compromise on volume, right? That's why you're buying a 100W tube head.
    If i buy a high-end digital piece of gear, i don't expect to compromise versatility or ease of workflow - and for the most part, i don't.

I've no complaints, anyhow. Laurent's tool should definitely do the trick for me until performance mode is up and running.

I do the same thing. Store the amps with different names in the device. Are you actually changing the tags or just the profile name?

At the moment, just the names - but that's very limiting for me.
    I'm still getting a little weirdness i need to take care of with Laurent's tool (corrupt amp names), but once i get the hang of it i could, say, change the author of modified rigs to a song's name -
    then i could have a list of 60 or so basic profiles i'm using with their real details,
    and i could search by author to see all the rigs associated with a particular song to make set my MIDI parameters for a particular gig, which should save me a ton of time and trouble ('did i set the pre-chorus lower, or is the wrong song?' kind of thing)

And as for your other question, when i worked simpler setups i'd compromise. I couldn't drop volume for certain parts of songs and couldn't have more than one delay setting (i worked analog before the KPA).
    The KPA is worth every penny, no doubt - but having dropped such an amount on a piece of digital gear, i don't expect to have to compromise anymore :thumbup:

Even with (sort of) comparable products you'd have separate footswitching for every effect on every preset, which isn't available on the KPA at the moment.

There is a third party tool that takes the files Guitarnet70 mentioned and puts all their info into an spreadsheet -
    then allows you to edit, write the changes back into the files and copy them back into the device.
    This is only for information (no actual parameters) but is very handy for rig management.

I don't know. I do regular gigs and also session work -
    so long as performance mode doesn't work, i might need 5 or 10 variations of each amp with names that are appropriate to song parts for live use, and also the stock amp, dry, under it's own name for use in the studio.

That means all the profiles i got from the rig exchange have to be tagged consistently and that i'd want to load up different profiles based on what gig i'm doing - all are easily doable with Laurent's tool and simply impractical with the KPA's interface.

First off, a sincere thanks. That's all i (and i assume, many others) wanted and it really is appreciated.

I have to say, though - while you may have a vision for your product and i wouldn't dare argue with it, the features you printed in the manual and put on the rotary knob are the very reason we bought the KPA -
    the fact that they aren't common in other products or that you think something else might be more attractive at this point is irrelevant - i think we deserve to get the base product we were offered and paid for before anything else.
    Please don't consider this an attempt to force your hand - i wouldn't dare impose on your vision of the product, but what you don't believe is crucial for running the profiler at this point might be crucial for some of your users.
    Performance mode, for example, is actually remarkably crucial for me as a gigging musician that also works in the studio. I'm sure i'm not the only one.

Anyway, it's just good to see you are indeed involved in the forums and the discussion. This product needs the support of it's community and management and it really was all about knowing we aren't alone in this so again - thank you. :thumbup:

So, Laurent, now might be a good time to say thanks! I've been using your tag editor since i got my Kemper and it's a lifesaver. :thumbup:
    Seeing as you got the tag reading and saving done, it was a pity development stopped. It worked brilliantly and the only thing missing from it was XML import/export and we could do batch-editing - then we wouldn't have had to wait for Kemper to release their own solution.

I see where you come from. OTOH, the Kemper site has stated since day one that Performance mode and Undo\Redo are on the work.
    I know, "a user is not supposed to have to visit a forum to be informed about what they're buying" etc. But my point is that I can't see the relationship between a work to be finished and a timeline to be owed. I can understand your wish to know more, your pleasure to know more, your curiosity to know more, your urge to know more and even your frustration not to know more. But this is different from being owed something, at least the way I feel it.
    OTOH, knowing a release date won't give you anything in advance or better. Honestly, this seems to me a waste of time. But I don't want to criticize anyone for feeling impatient, and, again, this might just be me :)

No, you actually do have a point there - but i'm not going to demand CK does this sooner or later - just to know someone up there in management cares about the customers, because as it stands it doesn't seem so.

I think the "problem" (or my problem) was the "Range" parameter. On a high setting (Max for instance) the sound goes far beyond an audible frequency... on a lower setting there is no muting at all.

Ice cream cone for my forehead please...

Thanks anyway guitarnet70!

That's pretty much it. Sorry for chiming in late, i've encountered the same deal with an analog expression pedal.
    There's a certain 'range' value at which the KPA cuts your volume before 'bypassing' the expression pedal on the heel or toe positions.
    Luckily, these 'range' values are rather large.

Now that, i really can't understand.

You own a manual that stated that there is a performance mode that does certain things it doesn't.
    It's advertised on the site which i checked thoroughly when deciding to buy a KPA unit - i'm assuming you did as well.

How does that not count as a commitment?
    And if we paid for it - which we did - why are we not owed a timeline?

Again, I'm just peacefully expressing my opinion.

Which is the point of a forum and is appreciated, but how is timeline disclosure on already promised and advertised features (performance, undo/redo) risky?

Again, this thread might have started out as a (legitimately declined) feature request, but 8 out of 11 pages are discussions on response to requests, even for features we were already promised.

Just wanted to point out how completely and utterly awesome it is that we can do something like this - that the KPA is actually subtle enough to allow it.

I'll be adventurous - a Vox Night-train, perhaps?

While i do get your point, that's not really true.
    Performance mode was indeed advertised. It still is, both on the site and in the manual. So is redo/undo

Furthermore, and regarding your second point, i don't think we're asking for features.

If so, i don't think we should be - and i say that as an engineer in trade.

What we're asking for is disclosure. Honest, polite communication at face value. And i don't think that's much to ask, regardless of CK's schedule.

Anyway, i believe this thread has run it's course.
    It hasn't really been derailed, but the OP who came here to ask about 2 profiles was concerned with CK's response so that's what has been discussed.

Trolls and rude people are irrelevant, don't let them deter from the potential usefulness of this thread.

I appreciate CK chiming in with an answer but i don't understand why - if you've got so much to say - not open a thread and explain? That's all anyone was asking for, really.

I hope, at the very least, this thread shows that some of us are bothered by things that could be easily solvable.

Let's hope they are indeed solved soon.