Posts by Quitty

FAT is pre-gain.
    I'm not particularly interested, myself, and it seems it can be done with a simple EQ in the Kemper, or by lowering definition.
    SAT also doesn't really strike me as exciting, seeing as BE on 7 is perfect and HBE on 7 is overboard. We're hardly short on gain.
    It may be nice to do some selected profiles with gain reduced but SAT kicked in to compensate, but that's really... particular.
    I found no mention of the CAT option, i'm guessing meambobbo meant C45 - if so, i concur. Would love it both on and off.

I'm with meambobbo - B7M6T6P5 was best, but mids on 7 will be alright, i can EQ later. Gain on 7 for the BE, master on 3.5, 57 on-axis sounds lovely.
    Haven't tried the last phases yet so i can only say that theoretically, i'd love a little push to the top end and a profile with the C45 switch on.
    Obviously, if you see two options sound overly similar, just ditch them. I don't think many would mind, and the difference of one point on the EQ scale is often not as drastic when recording.

I'll probably get to say this a couple more times before this is done, but a huge thanks. You're doing an awesome job, and this is already making some waves in the community - I think we'll be seeing more communal projects around soon.

Haven't run through the latest updates yet, but had some studio time yesterday and wanted to share.
    This is dual tracked with the BE B7M6T6 with the switch on the right position, and i swapped the cabs out for the on-axis ones.
    Some on-Kemper tweaks (power sagging and a boost @ 9.5KHz) but otherwise, no post-processing.

Bass may be a tad overboard... Sorry about that.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The way i got it, i thought we were testing around to find the perfect base settings and then profile around those -
    so if, say, we settled on a 6 for treble, it seems a good idea to try profiling on 5 and 7 as well.
    If the AT is at -5dB compared to the 57, it would be kinda cool to also profile on -4 and -3.
    Then we have the switches - 2 voicings, C45, maybe the FAT.

That's 3 options for the mics and knobs, 4 options for the switches. That's 36 profiles, which is a hefty set.
    Obviously not all of them will work. If you see that the difference is negligible or that it doesn't work, skip it.

Specifically, i do think profiling with the 57 on-axis is a good idea, as far as finding the base settings goes.
    I also said that once we do nail a set of settings, i'd love to hear the power-section work a little harder, so i asked if some more volume is feasible - master on 4 or so.

Just had a little while to jam on phase 4 and 5 of the process.

First, the mids-drop was exactly what i was looking for. It lets more clarity through while leaving the 'grunt' in the low-mids, just as i remembered the amp - especially for humbuckers. With single coils, 8 was fine. With my PAFs, i liked 6 best. I wouldn't go any lower, though.
    As for the modes, i'm not entirely sure myself what i prefer. It's the sort of difference where i'd double-track one of each to fill out the spectrum, and that's a lovely idea.
    Gain-wise, 8 is perfect. 9 starts getting a little mushy.
    These are some of the best profiles i've had in a while - and i've been through a lot. That's some downright great work you're doing there. :thumbup:
    I put a studio EQ post-stack, with a 3dB boost at around 9.5KHz to get a little more 'air' without altering the sound too much.

As for phase 5, i like the on-axis one better, although there's some relaxed high-mids that i really dig in the off-axis version.
    You will lose those on-axis benefits if you go half-way, though, so i'm voting for 0 degrees.
    Which set of settings did you do the 0 degrees off? It's really good.

Anyway, i'm having a ton of fun out here.
    I'm all for the communal concept and will definitely be sharing mine once i get some studio-time, but you should consider a donation button.
    I think you've earned that much.

OK, had some time to play around.

The BE profiles are outstanding. I concur - they're incredibly detailed, very nuanced, very inspiring. I like your ears, a lot.
    A lot of the BE content i've had in the past was trying too hard to emphasize the BE character and ended up slightly ridiculous - this finally feels like an amp.

The first batch of profiles have something awesome in them. A slightly more relaxed midrange and a smoother sound - it gives the BE a slightly more HBE flavor, which is a nice middle-ground between the two. Would love a high-gain (maybe 8 or 9) version of the BE in that initial setup, maybe with a slightly reduced midrange.

As for the last batch, i had to push the mids down as they were a little much - maybe 6 or 7 will do?
    Short of that, the BE came out spectacular, especially in oozish's settings.

I haven't really dug in to the HBEs as of yet, but figured a partial input is better than none. Hope to have some free time tomorrow.
    After trying these, i'd be really excited to hear your take on the Splawn. It's a painfully mis-represented amp in the Kemper realm.

Many, many thanks for these. It's an awesome idea and these came out great

These are all relevant to navigating via the home page.
    It's strange that you don't notice them - this is what my new rig exchange page looks like.

Also note the text in the top left corner. The links jump around when you point at them - it's actually funny in a win95 kind of way :)

I hope you guys are aware that the site went bunkers since the last update.
    The actual pages are full of grammatical errors, there's no way to contact support or enter the forum (i had to type the address explicitly), the formatting makes your logo cover the text and the old, useful links are stuck floating in the air, almost invisible and they jump around when you point at them like a good ol' winforms "click here!" game.

What's up, guys?..

No0. Re-amping doesn't have to be done digitally, you can use an analogue connection for the return, and for the send as well if you like. SPDIF is just more ideal as it bypasses any AD/DA conversion and generally maintains quality better.

I think the issue isn't analog or digital when it comes to reamping.
    You play differently when plugged into different amps. Some amps are more sensitive, compressed, snappier, saggy or harsh when you dig in too much... It's always a balancing act, with any player/guitar/amp combo. Change the amp without adjusting your playing and you lose something.

Mix control shouldn't have anything to do with sync. Is that a typo?
    To get sync to switch you have to make sure nothing on your computer is currently using the audio service - even a paused youtube video will lock the sync in place.
    Also note that when the sync is external, disconnecting the Kemper will cause all audio to stop playing, so you have to toggle it back and forth.

Congratulations, regardless!

That is completely incorrect.
    S/Pdif is very noticeably better than any analog form, period - it is completely impervious to noise interference, has a higher S/N ratio and less impedance issues which translates into a significant increase in treble content - and all this is disregarding audio 'character', just so that we can skip the audiophile argument about what sounds 'better'. It should also have less latency, although that might not be as significant.
    Try it. You'd have to be deaf not to hear the difference, even with a 'limited bandwidth' signal like a guitar.
    Crank the volume a bit on your current system, without plugging anything in. Doesn't have to be uncomfortably loud, just loud enough to hear the hiss. That hiss will be gone, and everything it covers up will suddenly be heard. The difference should be significant.

The difference becomes much, much greater when your system is not all high-end because almost no component can have a degrading effect on your audio or noise levels with S/Pdif.

If you can, go the S/Pdif route. Always.
    You'll need one cable, between your Profiler and your interface or receiver.

Daaamn.
    I don't get my hopes up when grabbing sample music off of gear forums, but that was absolutely fantastic.
    Kinda like what i was always hoping Candiria to sound like.

The production is amazing, so i doubt the profiles are all there is to it -
    but i'd absolutely love some good Fryette profiles. We're surprisingly short on the RE.

I'm not sure i follow. What does the X and MOD slots have to do with the aux in? Do you use them for loops?

Anyway, i'm not entirely sure it's mapped.
    0x7f is the MSB for system and global settings, where the volumes are at.
    the LSB-s for main, headphone, monitor and direct volumes are 0x00 to 0x03, respectively.
    0x0B is "S/Pdif input enable", so that's where things stop being relevant for you.
    With some luck, you might find "aux-in" somewhere between 0x04 and 0x0A, assuming they just forgot to list it.
    Otherwise, you could message Timo (search for his username on the forum) or open a support ticket asking that it be incorporated.

Best of luck!

Does the Kemper output LED hit a higher value when you play these notes compared to adjacent ones?
    If it does, it's not the room. Guitars have their own resonant frequencies, that's not unheard of. Your electric likely has a tendency to resonate around 224Hz and needs the same treatment if you chug a lot.

A surgical EQ is a good on-board fix. A multiband compressor is better, but not on-board.

The problem is that a tonestack is usually between the preamp and poweramp, meaning it has a dynamic effect that can't be reproduced.
    Even with the new profiling method, if there's no dynamics-modeling built in to the cab section, the tonestacks won't work as you'd expect and there's little advantage to them over a studio EQ.

However, i'd love anything that expands the EQ capabilities of the Kemper.
    A Q-control and center frequency for the tonestack?
    Studio EQ built in to the cab section?
    Fact is, most of us use mainly other people's profiles and thus often need to EQ them quite extensively.

From the "teaser firmware" that was downed, the looper is indeed available inside the footswitch.
    Which is rather disappointing, to be honest. Predictable, but disappointing.

@Quitty thanks for chiming in. I'll take a listen it's probably the compressor in my terrible mastering skills ;) still trying to learn this art form. Do you think the release is to long ?

Not sure. What limiter are you using?
    There's a little too much "excitement" going on - a whole album like this might be a little fatiguing.
    I'd try a dip in the 3KHz region, pre-limiter, or increase the lookahead and decrease the attack a bit.

I am nitpicking, though. If you'd drop the threshold by 1dB this would be radio-proof.