Posts by Kharem

Doesn't seen to be helping sorry, when I hold the page buttons it just skips the loading screen and goes directly to the error page, although I'm not sure what you been by root folder so I might be doing it wrong. I've only got backup, os update and shared folders?

Ran into some trouble when trying to update to 2.4.2, initially my kemper detected the usb like normal but didn't display the update prompt like normal (just the external storage tab), but after copying it back over from my computer again it came up like normal, and seemed to go fine until it got to rebooting, where it gets to the loading screen then stops about 10% of the way through and just displays

"booting & burning from usb device
    ERROR: unable to locate firmware file on USB device"

and no available buttons or anything else on the display. I tried reloading the kaos.bin file, re downloading the entire zip folder, tried the kaos.bin file from older os's and nothing seems to get it past this screen. I've never had trouble updating the os before, the usb stick seems fine and has been the same one I've always used so not really sure what else to try. I was updating from 2.4.0 I think, can't really remember.

Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Yeah that's kind of the conclusion I've come to, I found a place that actually has a pretty big range (if their online store is anything to go off) that should be fine with me going in for an hour or so and just messing with some different models to see how they sound. Thanks again for all the input guys, its been a big help in getting a better idea for what I'm looking for and the amount of options there is out there, even if I don't even up with any of the speakers mentioned, I'll let you guys know what I end up with and how it ends up working out.
    Thanks

The DXR's are actually turning out to be really hard to find here in aus, and are like $300 extra in postage from anywhere else. How do they compare to something like the mackie srm550's? Found a place with a pretty good range that has the srm's on sale at the moment for a hundred more than jbl eon515's. I dunno, I'm getting confused as hell by all this stuff and all I've really heard much about were the alto's and mackie's hd range.

Well I was actually pretty sure I would go with the alto if I liked them when I gave them a go, but I just found a bunch of guys saying their woofers were blowing out within months without even running them particularly hard. Apparently they were all getting returns andalto were pretty good about it, but if speakers blowing within months of normal use is a regular thing, even at 300ish price range I think I would want a bit better than that. I might still give them a go but seems unlikely at the moment. Looks like I'm holding out for a bit longer and picking up something like the Yamaha or Mackie.

Ya but I'm guessing the guys that tried them out and found the 15 woofy were testing them in similar situations so if it was a problem with the room wouldn't it have most likely shown up with both the 15 and 12? I dunno, I'll give both a go anyway and should be able to tweak or eq out any difference between them. I'll give both a go anyway and see if I like them.

Ya I didn't expect them to be noticeable but good to know all the same. The place I'm checking them out at his the 10", 12" and 15" models so I should be able to have a fiddle with all of them and see what I like, but from looking at the prices I think I'm leaning towards the 15" (if I do decide to go with an alto that is) since its only like $20 more than the 12. Has anyone noticed much sound quality difference between the different sized models? The place I'm going to look at them is more of a multimedia place than a music shop so I'm not sure they will let me crank them to try and tell the difference hahaha.
    Edit: found a couple of reviews from guys that tried them out and a fair few of them were saying the 15 was a bit boomy or woofy and the 12 was a bit more balanced, I'm not sure if they were using them the same kind of way but I guess I'll have to have a look.

Dang, you guys went to town on this over night, thanks for all the input.
    I actually found a place not far from me selling the alto's so I can actually give them a go before I make a decision, but I guess I'll just have to keep an eye out for a used DXR10 near me that I can try out since I've only found two places in aus selling them. Just out of curiosity does anyone with an alto find the fan noise annoying? Never even considered it might be an issue but someone mentioned something about it in here and I still doubt it would be an issue but figured I would ask anyway.

Thanks for the quick reply. They actually look really good, still a bit of a stretch to pick one up new but doable. I dunno, it might just be my ignorance in the area but I like that its yamaha as well, I had never heard of alto until I started looking into this and noticed a couple of guys on the sso forum using them. I'll see if I can find out a bit more about these yamaha monitors, thanks again.

Been using the kemper for 6 months or so and really enjoying it, but getting really annoyed with how clustered my desk is with the kemper, quad capture interface, two screens and two behringer b2031a monitors all sitting on it. So I'm selling the behringers and looking at picking up a single active pa-ish sized monitor that I can just have somewhere else in the room dedicated to using with the kemper so I can have them both away from my desk unless I'm recording.
    At the moment the only ones I've really heard much about are the mackie hd models and alto's ts range, so looking for some suggestions from what you guys have tried. I've heard more about the alto's, and its closer to what I want to spend since I'm a pov uni student at the moment, but I could stretch to a used mackie or something similar if it would really be worth it, so suggestions around the alto's price range or a little more would be good.
    This is the first time I've really looked into picking something like this up so I don't know much about any features I would need in a monitor to just run strait from the kemper so just some general info about this kind of setup would be good as well.
    Thanks for any info or suggestions,
    Kharem

Thanks for the replies, ya it wasn't actually something I had specifically looked into but compatibility with my os was something I had kind of just taken notice of when looking through specs and features etc, just had a quick look about specifics and to be honest I think both the NI and Scarlett should work fine with windows 7 64-bit and I don't plan on going to 8 any time soon really, but I'll keep digging for a bit. And I'll have a look at the roland as well, I think I actually looked at the quad quickly when I was initially looking through the kemper thread on sso before I even got my kemper but forgot about it for a bit, thanks.
    As for the 6i6 I actually initially was looking at that because of the s/pdif and midi before I even found the 2i2 but ended up deciding I was probably better off just saving a bit and getting the 2i2 if it does what I need, but I'll look into it again.

Looking to pick up a new interface to start recording some stuff with the kemper so after some suggestions since its all pretty new to me, I would prefer it to be pretty simple but decent quality, I won't be doing anything too complex but the option for things like s/pdif or midi would be nice but not essential. Has to be usb, I need two XLR or 1/4" TRS outputs for my monitors(pref TRS because I already have the cables but not that big a deal), 1/4" headphone out, both XLR and TRS inputs (those combo ones would be good) and that's about all, some included software would be nice but again not essential. That said, I've only had the kemper for a couple of weeks and only been playing it strait into my monitors so please let me know if I've overlooked anything or there is some features I should be looking for since its pretty new to me, plus some advice on how I should be setting it up would be great as well, the manual makes it seem like I would need to run from the main outs into the interface, which would mean I would need two inputs on the interface? Or would I be able to go strait from the monitor out into an interface with just 1? Sorry if this seems retarded or I've completely missed something, just the manual makes it seem like the monitor out is only for a reference monitor on stage or something and the main outs should be used for an interface, again this is all new to me since I've only used a shit line 6 toneport interface and can only go from what I've gathered from the kemper manual.
    At this point I've mainly been considering the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (or similar, 2i4 or something) or the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6, both seem like they would probably do what I need (unless I'm looking at it wrong again) but I honestly like the look of the NI one a little more, has some extra features that should be handy and included cubace software, but that said its around double the price of the 2i2 here in Aus ($300 vs around $170) and if I never end up using the extra features and the 2i2 does what I need it to do..
    I am also open to almost any other suggestions since I'm happy to admit I know pretty little about interfaces, but I've tried to do some reading online about them and they both seem like good quality simple interfaces, but throw whatever suggestions for different interfaces around that price point (but preferably closer to the 2i2) or experience you've had with either at me.
    Thanks
    Kharem

Anyone heard anything about this lately? Picked up my kemper the other day and would love to be able to mix two amps but all the posts on here are more than a year old and I can't find much else on it.

This may sound stupid but have you check the input levels, maybe you should play around with the clean/distorted sense

Ya actually I was flicking through the manual after setting it up when I was looking for something else and found the clean/distorted sense things and changed them initially but didn't go back and compare/tweak it because I had a bunch of other thing to try but when I get the time I'll actually put some time in to tweak those as well and see if that helps.
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies, that wah low pass I think actually helped a fair bit, I did change the amp profile at the same time but I was considerably happier with it than anything I had got before. In relation to lowering the gain, I completely agree, but the problem is as I roll it back it just starts to completely lose all definition and just goes to shit basically, it just seems like its either flabby and undefined or fizzly with too much gain with these pickups, might just be a sweet spot I need to hit, and lowering them did help a little as well.
    On a slightly different note, when I was using a normal amp (6505) I had a boost out the front almost all the time, and watching a couple of things like alex wade's sct video (even more applicable because its just a tele version of my guitar) some guys seem to be using proper boosts out the front of the kemper instead of the ones on the kemper, and whilst I still don't really like his sound that much on the sct video, its better than what I've been able to get with the 81-7's, and with the pro tone dead horse/bulb delux pedals still being available the next couple of weeks I'm thinking of picking one up to run out the front of the kemper in a similar way to bulb uses out the front of his axe fx, just to boost the amp and give it more definition and attack since the ones on the kemper don't seem to really be doing what I want. Has anyone tried one of the pro tone dead horse or bulb pedals with their kemper, or the green rhino (another cheaper option) for that matter?
    Just trying to get as much info as I can before I unload >$300 on one (I'm in australia), when I really haven't put as much time as I probably should into just tweaking stuff, plus when I'm planning a pickup swap anyway.
    Thanks

Used, an sc-607b, no actually I haven't tried just changing the battery, I'll give that a go and see. You had any experience with the 18v mod on them? I haven't really looked into it but noticed a bunch of guys doing it on the 8 string emg's. Right, ya the only emg's I've had apart from these were the 6 string 81's which I didn't particularly like much either, I'm sure I'll be able to get something I like out of them, still getting used to the kemper though so might take a bit of playing around.
    Thanks

Looking for any tips or advice on setting up the kemper for active 81-7 pickups, I only picked up the guitar a couple of days ago while I wait for my custom and I'm looking into picking up some passives to replace them soon because I've never particularly liked emg's, but in the mean time I'm having trouble getting what I want out of it. I'm tuning to G# at the moment playing pretty heavy stuff using a VH4 sim with a Diezel 4x12 with k100 speakers and I'm still getting used to the kemper so still playing with some eq's and boost's but I just can't seem to get much definition out of anything unless I really crank up the gain more than I would like because the emg's just get that high end fizzly sound, not sure how to describe it really but I had the same problem with normal 81's on my m1000 a while ago before I switched to passives. I'm still tweaking stuff and enjoying the kemper and the guitar despite the pickups at the moment, but just curious if many guys out there who are fans of emg's have any tips or advice because its the first guitar with actives I've had in ages.