Looking for frfr monitor suggestions

• Kharem - I had two of them and found the fans kicked on based on heat so they were not on all the time and when they were on I could not tell that they were on even without sound coming from them....they were quiet for me anyway. I would listen to the 12" and the 15" and compare them if you can.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Ya I didn't expect them to be noticeable but good to know all the same. The place I'm checking them out at his the 10", 12" and 15" models so I should be able to have a fiddle with all of them and see what I like, but from looking at the prices I think I'm leaning towards the 15" (if I do decide to go with an alto that is) since its only like $20 more than the 12. Has anyone noticed much sound quality difference between the different sized models? The place I'm going to look at them is more of a multimedia place than a music shop so I'm not sure they will let me crank them to try and tell the difference hahaha.
    Edit: found a couple of reviews from guys that tried them out and a fair few of them were saying the 15 was a bit boomy or woofy and the 12 was a bit more balanced, I'm not sure if they were using them the same kind of way but I guess I'll have to have a look.

Edited once, last by Kharem ().

• Edit: found a couple of reviews from guys that tried them out and a fair few of them were saying the 15 was a bit boomy or woofy and the 12 was a bit more balanced, I'm not sure if they were using them the same kind of way but I guess I'll have to have a look.

Then read this (about bass resonance) http://stereos.about.com/od/op…formance/a/treatments.htm
    Lots of people are not aware of this. When you're playing in a small room, you need to EQ some specific bass frequencies based on the dimensions of the room.
    Or put bass traps in the corners of the room

• Ya but I'm guessing the guys that tried them out and found the 15 woofy were testing them in similar situations so if it was a problem with the room wouldn't it have most likely shown up with both the 15 and 12? I dunno, I'll give both a go anyway and should be able to tweak or eq out any difference between them. I'll give both a go anyway and see if I like them.

• Well I was actually pretty sure I would go with the alto if I liked them when I gave them a go, but I just found a bunch of guys saying their woofers were blowing out within months without even running them particularly hard. Apparently they were all getting returns andalto were pretty good about it, but if speakers blowing within months of normal use is a regular thing, even at 300ish price range I think I would want a bit better than that. I might still give them a go but seems unlikely at the moment. Looks like I'm holding out for a bit longer and picking up something like the Yamaha or Mackie.

• Ya but I'm guessing the guys that tried them out and found the 15 woofy were testing them in similar situations so if it was a problem with the room wouldn't it have most likely shown up with both the 15 and 12? I dunno, I'll give both a go anyway and should be able to tweak or eq out any difference between them. I'll give both a go anyway and see if I like them.

The 15 has more low ends so this would things worse.

• I also recommend the DXR 10 from Yamaha. I've been playing 35 years guitar, including 20 years as a professional studio musician and know what I'm talking about. Do not be on the cheap solutions dazzle, the DXR is the price-performance ratio the best thing you can get for your money. Of course it is a matter of taste, anyway: Trust in the opinion of us professionals, the DXR is the thing.

Play it like you mean it.

• The DXR's are actually turning out to be really hard to find here in aus, and are like $300 extra in postage from anywhere else. How do they compare to something like the mackie srm550's? Found a place with a pretty good range that has the srm's on sale at the moment for a hundred more than jbl eon515's. I dunno, I'm getting confused as hell by all this stuff and all I've really heard much about were the alto's and mackie's hd range.

• Trust in the opinion of us professionals

Priceless..... So Yamaha DXR recommendation = Professional opinion, Every other recomendation = Cheap skate?????

Everyone has an opinion. That and 2 cents will get you jack squat.

Kharem - You'll just need to listen to some options you've mentioned and don't get frustrated.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

Edited once, last by bshaw92 ().

• Yeah that's kind of the conclusion I've come to, I found a place that actually has a pretty big range (if their online store is anything to go off) that should be fine with me going in for an hour or so and just messing with some different models to see how they sound. Thanks again for all the input guys, its been a big help in getting a better idea for what I'm looking for and the amount of options there is out there, even if I don't even up with any of the speakers mentioned, I'll let you guys know what I end up with and how it ends up working out.
    Thanks

• Kharem, just a thought about this: apart from the sound quality is also the construction of the speakers, a criterion that should be incorporated in the purchase decision. Most of the cheap boxes that have a plastic housing that has probably not a very long life at a constant use under professional conditions. You never know what will happen once and maybe you need this box once for use live. In the long term is often buys cheap but finally expensive.
    Just some of my thoughts...

Play it like you mean it.