Posts by magentix

I would expect the Helix to send MIDI PC and CC which could be used for rig change and effect on/off on the Kemper, at the very least. It's also got amp switch outputs (for reverb and channel, typically) which might be compatible with the Kemper's external footswitch inputs. It would be an expensive rig, and a ton of cables, but I imagine the Helix and KPA wired together would be extremely flexible.

I cant see MIDI output on the helix remote back, just a RJ45 socket. http://www.thomann.de/de/line6_helix_control.htm
    I suspect they will not use MIDI protocol on there. It would need some kind of converter to use it as a MIDI remote. With their previous remotes, like shortboard etc. they did not provide a converter. (other than the rack unit , which is 1,5k in this case ;)

thanks for the link. thats very helpful information.
    Now its clear the the DI does have an impact on the result, more or less.

Some posts there say that the DI might even have a "positive" or "desired" impact. I would say if the impact is "desired" or not, strongly depends on the rest of the signal chain and, as always personal taste. Regarding the frequency or filter impact it is the same story as with guitar cables.

But I would say that the Kemper DI is a kind of a "reference", because it has been used during development.

Of course, if someone gets perfect results with behringer or other DIs... be happy an go on with it.

I just wanted to avoid testing x-number of DI´s.
    (To be honest, up to now I am not satisfied with the results using the Kemper DI. But I have had it just for one day. Let´s see how it goes on.)

Why are you willing to give so much money for just a simple DI? Even a 30$ behringer will do the job as well as an 100$!

The Kemper DI will do the job as good as Mr. Kemper intended it to do. I suppose that they have used it during development of FW3.0 and the direct amp profiling feature. If this is not giving me the results I want, then I will know that kemper-profiler/FW 3.0 isn´t doing it for me.
    If i would use the behringer box, I could never be sure.

How can I be sure that a 30$ behringer will do the job as good as the kemper DI?
    At least there is a lot of discussion in this thread which DI is to be recommendable.

I just wanted to make sure that it is not because of the DI box, if I am not the getting the results I expect. That´s reason enough for me to spend more money.

question: is there a tutorial for creating direct amp profiles?
    in the wiki there is a lot of info about profiling, but i couldn´t find much regarding this specific topic.

sorry, I have missed "Profiling Guide 3.0", released on 2015-05-07. All I looked for is in there ;)

yes, your email has arrived already, and the second too (you are super fast man ;) thanks

Well the basic idea behind direct profiles was to reproduce the original amp, assuming that is what you want. If it turns out that a studio profile is enhancing the sound even through a git-cab, that´s even better. Makes it much easier. You are a lucky man if you have got that going already ;)

I think it´s just a matter of finding the right profile, matching the cab, guitar and the personal taste.

I will checked the profiles you have sent. They sound great as studio profiles.
    The direct profiles I will have to check later in the rehearsal room with the 412 at a higher volume. I will give you feedback.

Very interesting.
    I would expect that a direct profile will resemble the original amp much better, at least if you use the same cab that has been used for profiling. Would you say that is not the case?

Anyway. I am surprised you did not recommend your fender rigs for cleans. Just ordered the fender pack for trial on your website. maybe the DSL pack would have been better for my testing (also because it contains direct/merged/studios). Could you change my order to a DSL pack?

Hi Rich, good to see you making great progress creating profiles!

I have already found good profiles for classic rock marshall sounds using a 1960B cabinet, but I guess using your direct profiles will push it even a bit further.
    What I am really seeking for is a clean profile for direct usage with my 1960B. I did not have any good results up to now.

My focus is on live usage only, playing through a guitar cab. The "old school" setup.

Which of your profiles or packs would you recommend, especially for the clean sounds?

I'm looking for something with lids...so has to be a rack unit... And with the space for a wireless and PowerDistroUnit ideally (but whilst remaining SHALLOW and as small & light as possible - want to keep it as portable as possible...)

The one above (3DogNate's) looks pretty ideal, is it possible to get a side-on view with perhaps something in the background for size-reference?!

Also, are the cables hard-wired to the blank panel ? or is it kemper rear > leads to connectors > connectors to other connectors attached to blank panel (if you get what I mean...?!)

I would like to know more about the actual wiring as well. (last sentence in nEVH5150 ´s post)
    @3DogNate Can you give some more details about how you have done it? Many thanks.