Posts by TomKat

Welcome to the new guys (I'm new, too). And reading some of these posts makes me feel vindicated and reassured in choosing the Kemper. I bought mine from Musiciansfriend.com, where there's a 45-day return policy, so I was prepared to try it out for a few weeks, and if it didn't blow me away I could return it. So far, I can't imagine what could possibly be better. The librarian/rig management app would make this so perfect, but that's hopefully coming soon. Nice to see reassuring comments from people on here, though, that are way more experienced than me.

The ones GuitarTone mentions above are spot on, and free. They are super profiles - I can't see how Amp Factory or any other pay site can beat those profiles. Like, almost all profiles from those people are great. And free. For monitoring, I use KRK Rokit 5 monitors, and it sounds really good. I can get the guitar to feedback through the monitors, too, for whatever that's worth to you. Some on here connect into the effects return of an amp (for amps that have it). I just ordered a Fender Mustang III (v1) just for this purpose, based on recommendations from people on here. That way, I can have the amp-in-the-room sound when I'm able to play a little louder, or if I play with a band. That amp costs less than $200 used. Don't get the V2 version which came out this year, though, as the effects loop on that does not bypass the amp's own modeling stuff.

The Facebook link still doesn't work, but the reverbnation one does. Very tight, pro sound. The singer sounds a lot like the guy from Godsmack. I liked "Days Like These" the best out of the four songs that were featured. Good luck to you guys in being successful.

I liked S-Gear (the newest version) when I demoed it, was definitely better than other things I had tried, so I bought it ($100US). But, when I really sat down to play every night, I would spend 3/4 of the time messing around trying to get a good sound. None of the stock presets were any good, so for whatever sound I would have to start with one of those a make a lot of tweaks. Sometimes I did okay, some nights not. It was so bad that I thought it was my interface, so I was gonna shell out $500 for an Apogee. Then I considered something bigger/better - like, quite messing around and just buy a high-end amp. All my expenditures in digital stuff over the years could buy two high-end amps easily. I ended up buying the Kemper, still skeptical about digital, and the poor resale value down the line. Anyway, I got it, plugged it in, and wow, there was the sound I was looking for, with no messing around. It just worked. No screwing around wasting time and being really disappointed in the tone. Now, I'm still spooked about it not being a long-term solution (being digital and all), but for now it kicks the $hit out of S-Gear. Anyone on here that thinks S-Gear is close in tone to the Kemper needs to go to the ear doctor immediately, because it's not even close. I would get this fizzy trail-off in sound, too, when using S-Gear (and any other plugins), like when a chord or note is fading out it would get a digital choppiness at the end. Not with the Kemper. Trying to sound objective here, not over-enthusiastic.

Lots of people on here have tried this with their other amps and have found some pleasant surprises. A few say the Fender Mustang III (v1) works super like this. I just ordered a used one today to do the same thing. I already tried it on my Tech21 Trademark 30 amp, and it sounds clear, but that amp's cab and speaker already sounded like crap and I had been wanting to replace the speaker. So, as good as it can be through that amp. So that's why I found a used Mustang III to try. At less than $200 used, you can't go wrong.

Just got it yesterday, the one without the poweramp, as I figured I would have a lot of flexibility in amping it if I need to. I don't gig, I only play at home quietly. My signal chain is:
    guitar > KPA > Alesis iO2 Express interface plugged into Mac Mini > KRK Rokit 5 Studio monitors

So, I downloaded all the updates, and all the extra rigs, and about 100 or so new rigs from the Rig Exchange. I will say, I am impressed. Nothing I've done prior to this (after LOTs of searching and trying different plugins, preamps, etc.) sounds this good. So many profiles sound super good. Now, through 5" studio monitors, the sound is not big - I would need bigger speakers for that. I'm tempted to buy a large powered monitor just to have something like that on hand. Also to test the KPA further (I bought it from Musiciansfriend, where there's a 45-day return policy). But I like what I'm hearing so far.

BTW, I got the white one - at age 44 my eyesight is not the best for reading the labels for all these buttons, and the black one looked like it would be a nightmare in that regard. The one is much easier to read the labels.

I like the tuner on the KPA, also.

So far, so good.