Posts by elvisscottyandbill

I picked up TAF Bundle Pack 1 a few days ago. Outstanding tones. Even had a group of them created for my specific guitar (Les Paul). The free ones may require a bit of adjustment before you'll know if you have a winner. Many of them are very very good. I find I need to dial down the rig volume to play distortion profiles in my apartment and I may have to adjust the amp definition to soften the tone a bit (I prefer EL34's to 6L6's). EQ to your taste.

Well, yes, that was my first thought. But apparently the optimum situation is to have the power amp specifically designed for the monitor. At least that is the opinion of some. Perhaps someone could speak as to how much of a difference there really is between the active and passive CLR when used with the Kemper. That would be most helpful. Haven't seen any shootout videos for that.

Hey, thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I do realize that what sounds good to each of us is a subjective thing. I suppose what I'm really after is what's optimum. In other words, I wouldn't want to compromise those sparkling Vox or Fender cleans with a cab that's just not equipped to deliver them. No matter how much I like that cab when paired with a Marshall. That example really pinpoints the problem with a one-cab-fits-all solution I think. Especially in a studio situation where you might want to achieve a particular sound for a particular track. I don't have a lot of experience playing a variety of amps thru the same cab configuration so I guess I was looking for some real world examples of where that might not give me exactly what I was expecting and the Vox/Fender examples really nail it I think.

In my own case I am looking to explore the very best of what each of the amps has to offer with the objective of collecting a set of tones that can be used for particular situations rather than just accepting anything that sounds good to my ears when paired with my cab. So I think I just answered my own question! lol. Active CLR. However I fully understand the position of those players who aren't interested in endless tweaking but just want to lock down a great clean, crunch and lead tone for use on stage.

I am presently using a Kemper Profiler PowerHead with my 1x12 Earcandy Sovereign (front ported) cabinet containing a Scholz Sugarcone (the original). While the sounds I am making sound fantastic (with either cab off or cab on), I know I am not hearing the true representation of the cabs in the profiles. A little research in this forum and others has me thinking of going the Active CLR route (reasoning being that the active monitor's power section is tuned to the specific monitor as opposed to having a separate power amp driving a passive monitor and the two not necessarily being optimally tuned together).

But the question I still have is this: if I absolutely love the sound of say a 4x12 Marshall 1960A cab with V30's and EVM12L's in a criss-cross pattern, would opting for this solution work in all or most situations? In other words, do certain amps sound significantly better matched with certain cabs? Or am I likely to prefer my favorite cab with any amp profile I might choose now or in the future?