Posts by ur2funky

Try the YAMAHA DXR 10.

These are very nice. I bought two and I've only opened one to try it out. I would sell the factory sealed one for $450 plus shipping.

Sorry, I know this isn't the place, and I wasn't really thinking of selling it, but if you want it.

Cheers~
    Scott

thanks for posting these. I have a Regal2 as well, so you have saved me a task
    I use single coils into it, and have fitted a 6L6 and 6v6, Lots of the other combinations are great too

cheers!

I have tons more profiles with this amp, I just didn't want to overwhelm the Exchange, so I just chose a few representative profiles. If anybody needs anything in particular, let me know, I may have it already!

I love your Barcelona profiles. I have to aggresively lower the bass on those too. But nonetheless, these are my go-to-fave profiles-to-rule-all-profiles! I think the heavy bass dialed down must the trick for my system. These profiles seem the quietest (s/n) and most versatile of all too! By versatile, i mean i can move around the gain and eqs up or down a lot, and they still sound great.

I don't use any clean profiles that are at gain zero. Dialing up the gain on these gets immidiately fizzy for me. And they all sound the same to me - like a default base profile algorithm? But the Regal profiles that are at gain 3 are still clean and awesome!

Thanks again for the compliments!

Let me ask you, are you turning up the front panel gain knob to increase the profile's distortion and have a "pushed" amp sound, or are you doing it to make the clean profile louder?

If you just want it louder and still clean, the Cabinet's volume is a good place to start (hold the Cabinet button). Still need more? Putting a Pure Boost pedal in the X Effects will add even more.

If you're looking for more distortion, I've had better luck reducing gain (distortion) than increasing it. Choose another profile that has more gain and reduce it to your liking.

Cheers!
    ~Scott

Thanks ur2funky,
    Loved em. I hit the favorite button on several. But, fyi, for my set-up, I had to dial down the bass to -5 on all your profiles. Still perfectly awesome sounding like that in my set-up. I'm wondering if a good mic like that is catching low end from the floor. Like if the amp was on a stand instead, it wouldn't sound the same?

And a general question about clean profiles that are at a gain of Zero. Do you use those at gain zero, or do you crank them up a bit?

Hey, thanks for the feedback!
    It's good to hear how these are working on other systems.
    The mic I used is known to be bass heavy. I tuned the mic's placement (the balance of high to lows) using a Atomic CLR in monitor position on a Gramma pad. The CLR has the least low-end response out of my current powered PA speakers (a QSC K8 and a DXR10).
    The Regal has a 15" speaker and generally a more vintage sound. It can be brightened up from where I had the amp set, but I thought I would try and capture this flavor. I was worried it might have come off a little muddy.

Have you tried my Barcelona profiles? Just wondering if you have the same bass response with those, as that amp was profiled a couple feet in the air to decouple the floor.

Not sure on the gain question. I just tried to match the volume starting with a clean profile. I have some of TAF profiles that are much louder than mine and some on the Kemper than are less, I thought I would try to land in between volume wise.

This amp was my second time profiling. I have never mic'ed an amp before these. The Kemper has impressed me with the ease of profiling. Seems the only tricky part is getting the mic set right.

Cheers!
    -Scott

Just in case you decide to go the PA speaker route, there are some dealers who sell new stuff on eBay to get around the Minium Advertised Pricing. So you can save some money that way, and get a stereo setup. It's such a nice treat hearing the Kemper in stereo, and your patches with still work fine in mono at church.

If I want enough low end, should I keep my search to 8 inch speakers at least? They do need to be active as I have the non-powered KPA.

This depends on volume. Smaller is fine for desktop monitors, but placement of these greatly affect their low end response. To have something loud enough to gig with, 8 is minimum. My K8 cranks and handles guitar duties easily over a loud drummer. Amazes people when they find out that sound is coming out of an 8" speaker.

Even if you bought the same PA speaker as the one used at your church, it would sound different in your house. And I bet the one at church sounds quite different with nobody there compared to the place full of people.

You can chase your tail with this stuff. I spent hours today switching between a QSC K8, a DXR10 and a Atomic CLR. All have their strong points, and all sound a little bit different.

Any of these mentioned are gig friendly too.

Or small desktop monitors are good too.

I think you can't wrong, as long as you stay away from the cheapest PA stuff.

What a different time...

"The Beatles recorded 11 takes of (Taxman), the last of which was the only one to feature vocals, and which became the basis of the final version. Track one of the four-track tape featured guitar, bass and drums; Harrison added two lead vocal overdubs onto tracks two and three; and the fourth track had a lead guitar solo by Paul McCartney, tambourine by Ringo Starr, and backing vocals by McCartney and John Lennon.

The following day a tape reduction mix was made to free up space on the tape, and more instruments and vocals were added."

The Beatle's Bible

Here are the profiles for my Victoria Regal II amp captured with a MXL R144 mic. A Strat was used to dial in the amp.

The Regal is point-to-point wired, has tube reverb and tremolo, and mine has a has a 15" speaker and a lush vintage tone.

The Regal can use either one or two power tubes, and any combination of 8-pin power tube (6V6, 6L6, EL34, 6G6, 6K6, 5881..etc..) can be mix and matched at the same time. Power runs from 3 watts to 35 watts depending what tube(s) are in there.

Here are the profiles in PROFILES HAVE BEEN REMOVED~~~I'M GONNA REDO THESE

Or search the Exchange for "Scott Ritchie"

I used a variety of vintage tubes...

[Blocked Image: http://ur2funky.smugmug.com/Music/Thomsley-Guitar/i-5G4LQDD/0/L/DSC_0549-L.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://ur2funky.smugmug.com/Music/Thomsley-Guitar/i-PHbfJkQ/0/L/DSC_0551-L.jpg]

A Tim pedal was used to up the gain on one of the profiles. The guitar's volume knob works well to clean it up.

And there is a Machine Gun-ish patch...hit the C Stomp Boost for more gain on that one.

Cheers!
    ~Scott

Thanks again for the feedback!

Tone, thanks for the nice compliments! Very sweet! I am a lucky man.

don, I'm quite happy with how the MXL R144 ribbon mic profiles turned out. Just the mic and some nice mogami cables were the only thing used. I bought the R144 on eBay with the stand, case and a regular cable for $85 brand new. How can I not smile?

My Blackheart doesn't have the Bitmo mod, I actually bought the mod an never installed it! I did mod my Vox.

This week I will try to get some more profiling done.

Best,
    Scott

Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I love Victoria amps. Pictured is a 35210, which is a great club amp, and the other is a Regal II, which I would consider my "desert island" amp. It has two power tube sockets which you can mix and match with any 8-pin tubes without biasing, or even just use one tube. So you can mix a EL-34 with a 6v6, a 6v6 with a 6L6, etc. It runs from about 3 watts to 35 watts depending what tubes are in there. Tube reverb and tremolo too, and a creamy 15" speaker. I have a bunch of old vintage tubes too. In this amp you can really hear how each tube is a bit different from each other.

Some of my favorite tube combinations in the amp aren't loud enough to compete with a loud drummer, and other magic tones it has are only available at certain volumes, so I'm really hoping I will be able to capture the magic of this amp in the Kemper to use at any volume.

I plan on profiling both of those amps and the Louis Electric, and possibly the Vox, but there's probably enough Vox profiles already. The 2x12 cab is an Avatar with Celestion Blues in it, and the Vox sounds pretty good through it.

The Louis Electric is a great amp too. When cranked it turns into a really thick, milkshake tone. Blues indeed~