Posts by wakjob

No.

I was only using traditional guitar cabs & speakers with my PowerHead ( cab sim 'off' ) up until this morning.

This is the first time I tried using the Main Outputs to the ADAM monitors... with cab sims 'on'.
    Not so hot sounding. Workable, but not great.

Well, the cocked wah problem pretty much goes away by 90% with the ADAM monitors. So that's cool.

Now I just need to tweak the high gain profiles I like. They all kinda sound fizzy and solid state-ish after using 12" guitar speakers (yes, cabs sims are 'on'). It might be the ribbon tweeters in the ADAM's, or I just need more time for my ears to adjust.

Some more experimenting is needed. I still have five weeks left to decide it I'm going to keep it.

Do you have desk monitors, or even just your stereo, that you could run through (not using the Kemper's power amp, obviously) with the Kemper's cab turned on? If that gets rid of the cocked tone, then it might be something to do with using real guitar speakers versus the profiled ones.

This is what I'm thinking. I'm going to experiment tomorrow.

All I have on hand is my ADAM A3X desk top monitors. If need be, I'll take a trip to the music store and audition some better FRFR monitors.

Well here's what I've figured out so far...

There's nothing loaded in any of the effects blocks. So I'm assuming there is no 'locked' effect turned on?
    I held down the 'Lock' button, and nothing stayed lit so...

I tried the "DR R OD9 57 SCOOP" profile you suggested and it was better. So I went ahead an redid my BE100 PREAMP DI profile with the mids on the amp at zero and the pre profiling mids at -5.0 also. The squak was much less noticeable.

Four hours of ear fatigue. I'll try some more suggestions tomorrow.

I'm totally willing to except that it's something on my end. I just can't figure out what it is?

I've tried my four different guitar cabs with my PowerHead, and it's still VERY prominent.

I know tons of pickups that have this 'vowel like' characteristic, especially Dimarzio's. I unplug from the KPA, and immediately plug into one of my many amps, and everything flattens out in the mid range and sounds normal. The 'squaky-nasal' sound goes away. So I'm quite certain it's not my pickups.

When I get home from work today, I'm going to try doing some profiles with the Pre Profiling EQ's mid control turned down. See what happens.

I mean, other than this one issue, I'm in love with this thing. I'm just super picky about my high gain tones.

Seems like all the high gain profiles have a mild to severe 'cocked wah' or vowel like sound that just dominates over everything.

I think I came across a thread where someone stated that the problem lies in the 'cab sim' portion of the profiling process. Someone else commented on it being a part of the Refining process.

It can be compensated or toned down a bit with the 'Definition' control, but then you loose pick attack.

And I find the 'Pick' control pretty much useless for high gain stuff. The negative side makes it compressed, and the positive side makes it feel 'gated', which feels like latency. So that's no help with this issue.

I've even messed around with the EQ in the output section, tried dumping the mids a little bit. It all adds up to being better, but not GONE. Which is what I would like.

Full rig profiles or just preamp DI's, cab sims on or off, FRFR or real guitar cab... it seems to be prevalent.

I like Micheal Schenker, but this is ridiculous.

I've even tried a pickup with a scooped eq curve, the Dimarzio Steve Special... no dice.

Thoughts or suggestions?

Yeah, I can get there by opening a new tab and all.

But I thought that there would be an icon at the top of this topics page that would take you right there.

I did a quick preamp DI of my BE this morning. Straight into the HBE input, all switches in the off position, 12 o'clock on all knobs.

Gives the user the option to use a cab sim of their choosing.

I'll try and upload it soon.

I had a helluva time profiling the preamp of my Marshall 8100 via FX Send today. Had to re-profile about 5 times making little adjustments to both the amp controls and the pre-profiling controls.

In the end I was about 90% there and called it 'good enough'. Mids kept getting more narrow, like a strong Q in the cocked wah range with each refining process. And the whole sound stage was sounding like a mono/stereo button was being pressed.

I profiled a Friedman BE-100 and a Ibanez TBX150H preamps without a hitch prior to that today.

That Marshall is a tough nut to crack. I wouldn't say I was loosing low end like the OP was, but it was moving mids around in a changed/unnatural way.

One of the nicest sounding all tube preamps I've ever played. The mix control is brilliant!

Too bad the pedal version was only a pale comparison.