Posts by RLT

Hannes, you can record the DI and the wet simultaneously. Set SPDIF Output to Git/Mod Mono. Mod Mono includes X and Mod slots but not Delay and Reverb. As long as you don't want to track in stereo with Delay and Reverb on your signal this may be your best option.

Hannes, you can record the DI and the wet simultaneously. Set SPDIF Output to Git/Mod Mono. Mod Mono includes X and Mod slots but not Delay and Reverb. As long as you don't want to track in stereo with Delay and Reverb on your signal this may be your best option.

This. Your wet signal wont sound as good as when you reamp but that's why you reamp. It's good enough for tracking purposes.

What is your SPDIF Output set to? Make sure it is Master Stereo if you are reamping or just recording direct without intending to reamp and your track should be stereo. If you want to reamp the track set to Git/Mod and create 2 mono tracks in DAW, one for DI and one for wet for tracking purposes. The Wet track will not sound great at that point. Then reamp with output as Master Stereo to stereo track in DAW.

Amen brother! It makes getting older ok - even good :)

I know this is all daunting at first. I have been playing guitar for 30 years but got into digital stuff only a year and a half ago. It was overwhelming. I can't believe how much I've learned in a short period of time. It's so awesome. The biggest improvement though in my recording was finding the KPA - after going through Guitar Rig, Axe FX II etc etc etc. So - your most of the way there ;) The next steps from where you are are simple - get an interface that connects via USB. We all have one. Focusright Saffire is a good one, or, I have Komplete Audio 6 - it works perfectly. Make sure it has SPDIF. That is how you will want to record (in my opinion). Get Reaper (everyone recommends it). I have Studio One - that works great as well. You are then good to go. All the other stuff can come later.

You sound like your very analytical - like me. So my advice looking back is - one step at a time. So - go buy interface, get free trial version of Reaper or Studio One or whatever - get it working - go from there.

Keep trying. The more you try, the more you learn and the quicker you operate. If you get stuck, ask us about the specific issues you're hitting.

17)...I could go on forever... making virtual drums sound "human", creating synth sounds, using samplers, interesting plug-ins, MIDI controllers, how to pan guitar tracks, how to mix all the instruments...

16) Learn how to bounce. This is useful for creating your final stereo output, as well as mixing down several tracks with effects. The DAW has to process any assigned effects or virtual instruments and automation in real time, which can overload the processor and cause stuttering, etc. You can bounce the more CPU intensive tracks into a new audio track. Then all the effects are "baked-in" - the new audio track doesn't need any effects - it's just playing back the audio. You can't change the effects on the bounced track, but it saves you enough CPU to lay down more tracks.

15) Learn about Compressing and Limiting. Check your tracks for clipping. A brick-wall limiter can help prevent sharp peaks from clipping.

14) If you don't have some virtual drum track playing back to keep time, be sure to enable the click track in the DAW for a basic metronome. If you don't record in-time with the beat, anything you record will sound like $#@#$.

13) Learn about fixed tempo vs the tempo track, which can be used to automate the track's tempo, changing over time if desired.

12) Learn about automation, which is useful for anything from simple volume swells to insane synth effects.

11) Learn how to select, cut (as in split, not cut like copy/paste), move, trim, delete, and change the volume level of audio tracks.

10) Learn how to cross-fade, to seamlessly mix pieces of audio together.

9) Learn how to "punch-in" recording, so you can record over mistakes.

Learn about timeline selection and looping. Looping is your friend.

7) If there's a basic setup you consistently use, set it all up without any actual music recorded, and save this as a project. Name it "Basic_Template" or something like that. Now everytime you want to start a new song, load up that project and start messing around. If you lay down something you like, Save As... and make a new project. That basic template can save you the pain of re-setting up your project everytime you want to record.

6) Learn to use the virtual mixer in your DAW software.

5) Learn about busses and how to route audio internally.

4) Learn about all the controls you have per track - record arm, enable monitoring, mute, solo, changing input/output, pan, volume. There are more but those are the basics.

3) If you've never used DAW software before, you should learn about VST plugins and VSTi's. VST plugins are .dll files that are designed to process an audio stream. They can be inserted as effects on individual tracks in your DAW. VSTi's are virtual instruments. They don't simply process an audio stream - they generate one. They can usually be controlled by MIDI. So you can get the drum MIDI from a guitar pro tab file, drop it into Reaper on your drum VSTi track, load a VSTi like EZDrummer or Superior Drummer (etc) and press play and you have drums. There are also VSTi's for synths. Native Instrument's Massive gets lots of praise. Omnisphere is also completely badass. Learn about using synths and samplers.

2) Use Reaper as DAW software. I find it does anything you'll need. Don't be afraid of it - start trying to do small projects - play with the keyboard to see how to move, zoom, change tracks, etc.

If you plan on recording drums or multiple instruments simultaneously via direct input or microphone, you may want to look into a bigger interface with multiple mic/instrument-level inputs. But that's more $$$. If you are going to be just recording guitar and maybe vocals, you don't need all that. And if later you decide you want to mic drums, you could buy a mixer and mix all those mic's down to a single stereo signal.

If you get an interface with optical S/PDIF only, you'll have to buy additional converters to connect to the coax S/PDIF on the KPA.

1) Get an Audio Interface. Preferably one that you can connect via S/PDIF coax - then you can connect the KPA to it digitally. It should have two line level balanced outputs to connect to your monitors. This can be a card that you plug into your PC's motherboard, or a USB or firewire device. I have an M-Audio Firewire Solo, and I bought a PCI firewire card with the M-Audio recommended Texas Instrument chipset to ensure maximum compatability.

Here's a quick guide:

Great post.