Posts by MyAlterEgoHamish

Good question:

Midi out on the back of the GT-3 goes to midi in on KPA.

On the display now:
    Boss GT-3 -> Utility button -> option 4 Midi -> (Now use parameter arrows to get to the next option) Midi Exp out = CC# 7 (refers to volume up/down in KPA manual) -> Midi Program Map -> see below:

B#0 PC# 1(corresponds to button 1 on the GT-3) should look like this 1 -> 1-1. This read from left to right as button 1 maps to bank 1 patch 1 on the KPA in performance mode. When pressing the parameter arrow to the right, it should place the cursor on the GT-3 display under the number 1 which you can use the scroll wheel to change to button 2, 3 and 4. The 1-1 to the right of the button number will allow you to use the scroll wheel to change the corresponding bank and patch in the KPA performance mode.

I hope this gets you there.
    Andrew

I should say I've owned my KPA less than a week now.

I received the amp last wednesday, and since my Carvin V3 decided to take a dive (I never liked the high gain side of that amp), I had to find a way to quickly make the KPA work for Sundays church service. On the recommendations of the forum, I also bought a Yamaha HS8. I've been a tube amp user long enough to understand that matching the speaker to the size of the cab and the amp is critical to the overall tone. The wrong combination can send you down the road of spending lots of money trying to get all of that worked out. That alone has been a source of frustration when chasing after "that" tone.

Fast forward to Sunday morning at church. We play worship music written by other bands. Here's a sample of one of the songs we played today.

We setup the church and tear it down every Sunday, in a high school cafeteria that we rent for 6 hours each Sunday. The audience is typically about 100-150 people. The room is about 5000 square feet and wall-to-wall linoleum. Not ideal for sound quality. We power the room with two 1500 watt power amps which route to two main loud speakers and four monitors. These speakers are old and not a brand I've heard of before.

We keep the room at about 95db on average but that's tough to do when you compete with an enthusiastically loud drum kit.

My Setup:
    - KPA with a midi foot-switch (Converted Boss GT-3)
    - Left side XLR main out of KPA into snake, which runs 50 ft to a console mixer, then back again to the power amps -> mains and monitors.
    - Amp profiles: Soldano Solo, 61 Supro, S.Mehl 50 Vintage

It took me all of 10 mins to get setup but I was concerned that that sound I had dialed in at home on the Yamaha HS8 was not going to be what I would get here.

I was SHOCKED! To my surprise, perhaps not yours, it sounded amazing. Better than I had it sound ever before with my Carvin. I couldn't believe it and nobody else could either. My bandmates had a hundred questions after. People in the church were singing, clapping jumping around it was incredible. I overheard the pastor saying afterwards that it was awesome to see people excited about music at church.

Noticeable differences (besides the 1000's of profiles and the spot on identical tube sound):

- Getting to the tone you want is quick and easy to understand/achieve
    - I've noticed the KPA causes the attack to be more controllable, more precise.
    - The texture of the note's can be configured to be very chunky without creating unwanted sensitivity.
    - The detail that can be hard to draw out with traditional tube amp, I found today that the notes really stood out.

I was over the moon, ecstatic about the results. Cannot thank you enough for a sensational product.

Andrew

I found out about Kemper from this fella.

Anyway, I had long since given up on digital amps and had been playing only tube amps. 6 months ago I'd been talked into buying a Carvin V3MC, which after a some tube swapping actually got it sounding pretty good (Sounds fuzzy normally). Then this happened. So it's out for repairs and probably on eBay not soon after it comes back.

Like many others I was skeptical about Kemper, but after several days of watching youtube videos and listening carefully I took the plunge. I bought a Yamaha HS8 to go with it and I couldn't be happier. My fingers are sore right now from playing non-stop for the last 2 days. What an awesome invention.

I would say the Kemper is to guitarists what the iPod was to the record industry....disruption.

Glad to be here.

Andrew