Posts by OldShredderhand

Yes Monkey_Man,I had confirmed via http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com
    digbob, when you say rigs are 'in' the manager, I suppose Rig Manager caches the files locally for offline consumption? I wouldn't ask if I wasn't AFK (away from Kemper).
    Never cared, because I can hardly remember the last interwebs outage :)

Who wants to be caught in a shitty wifi-less motel trying to set up the perflist for the evening gig, and fail because some crucial 5489 bytes reside on the cloud, leading to a 'dude, would you please dictate that string over voicephone or split it into sms?'.

No matter what I try, the Phaser exhibits horrible clipping artifacts. Put in a post amp slot I get the full unfiltered goodness of earsplitting digital clipping. Can anybody confirm?

I have not yet tried the multitude of KPA reset options.
    Nor have I used the phaser for at least a few OS revisions.

EDIT: Had some more time to burn, turns out to be a very loud bunch of profiles.
    Had to tame them by taking 6dB off of the Amplifier volume to avoid overdriving the Phaser, which seems to have comparatively little headroom.
    The patches came with Delay and Reverb and I added a bunch of different FX in X and Mod slots.
    Only the Phaser 'complained' about the amp's level by distorting.

The Dire Straits Experience (http://direstraitsexperience.com)
    are coming on tour, just saw an announcement on the tube and was flabbergasted by the authenticity of the guitar sounds. Until I saw that familiar blinkenbox behind him successfully replacing a whole battery of tasty amps. D'uh. Was hoping to see what amp was used in some songs. I could only make out Slot A and B both blue, gotta try and stack compressors some time...

I guess Terence Reis has stuffed Mark Knopfler and 40$ into an isocab in order to profile the amps, fingers and voice of Mark Knopfler all at once. :evil:

Kidding, he is a worthy stand-in :thumbup:

cheers,
    Shred

The whole point of my post was giving you an alternative approach to reach your goal.

FWIW, using both MIDI-floorboard and DAW via Focusrite I just verified with the latest KPA firmware release version that PC in perf mode works as advertised, no matter if omni or fixed channel.
    For a moment you had me doubting, because I use to dwell in browse mode.

Your problem must be somewhere else, and it seems it's not the cables...

The # in the display denotes a received PC. No idea why it wouldn't switch, the knob icon stands for received CC.
    Is this a clue that your DAW sends more than the expected PC?
    Check what really goes on the wire, with the DAW inbuilt MIDI monitor, or the likes of MidiOx.

PC# must be converted to actual perf#&slot#, there is no 1:1 relation.
    The manual hints as follows:
    'You could also use the following formula: (#Performance x 5) - 5 + (#Slot - 1)'

Hope you get to the bottom of this.

Page 171 is about expression pedals and remote settings, i dont see how it has anything to do with my question?

Guess we are not reading the same chapter (MIDI, switching in perf mode). Blame it on PDF(tm).

I was referring to the method of selecting the performance number with a CC48 and selecting the slot with a CC50-54, which your device may or may not allow to do .
    Or you can do the math to convert perf nr&slot into the corresponding PC, as explained above.

Hi Allright,

this amp sure looks interesting for plugging the KPA into.
    More is more, and 10 is less than 12", soo, do the smaller speakers make it sound tiny next to a Booger Lonestar100 closed back 2*12 combo? I have never played tens, but understand that the number of them makes up for the diameter. I'd never missed oomph in a Bassman 410 or Ampeg 810 config. :D

The Blackstar manual didn't reveal if the internal signal chain can be altered, or where the fx-return sits in relation to EQ, FX, Resonance/Presence filter. Have you found out already? I hope at least Resonance being located post-loop, it might be the key to balancing the bass response.

cheers,
    Shred

You can go FCB to MIDI in of the DAW machine, and remap the FCB output into arbitrary commands towards DAW resp. KPA.
    On Windos there is MIDIox, no idea about Apples.
    The DAW itself should also be able to do this, I know at least Studio1, Cubase and Sonar offer such MIDI mapping facilities.

P.S. TouchDAW for Android is cheap and nice but I dislike using a touchscreen with my foot ;)

Hi Skoszy,
    I have basically the same setup with a 6i6 connected to KPA line outs, S/PDIF and MIDI, and it is dead quiet through a Mackie and Rokits wide open.
    But I know this ticking very well.
    IF my footswitch is on the workbench for debugging && I use supercheap MIDI cables && run a high gain profile && unplug the guitar && stick the naked plug between the MIDI plugs, I get an improvised and expensive metronome.
    When running a proper dataflow you get all sorts of noises, the digital zeros and ones of the serial protocol becoming a squarish signal pwm'ed by noise. It was a nice debugging aid for me, much like the shrieks and beeps of yesteryears modems :D

But I digress.
    I have not noticed 6i6 or KPA bleeding any MIDI into the audio path internally.
    You should chopstick the MIDI cables away from the audio cables and make sure they are properly shielded specimens in the first place.

cheers,
    Shred

Stability is not a problem.
    One can always downgrade to stable.
    In situ. While Stu Hamm does his Polka thing.
    One can fire the tech who couldn't find the USB-lock(tm) key you lost in the first place.
    Install an older OS. relearn the step dance, rewrite the setlist to match the performances, set up the routing for today's backline, easy, thanks to the pdf manual obtained by hijacking the wifi on the laser dmx which in turn starts cookiecutting the Albert Hall stucco, return the Ableton laptop to the keyboarder to reconnect and reboot.
    They still Stu him cause they love him.
    Still time to spare.
    Thank the guy who hacked the USB lock with an E string, which left no traces but a nagging feeling that a torrent file was already pointing to the kiprs even before the gig started.
    Blame everything on the Macbook allthewhile the venue master clock counts in Panama for the guitarist who still tries to wrestle his foot out of the hole his boots poked into the CLR cone.

Ah, wedges, they don't make 'em anymore like they used to.

I feel old.

I like my K from P to the A.

Sometimes we play Unplugged. Because, music.
    </*>

Shred.

Thank you RU_sirius for a flashback into the good ole eighties!

I grew up in Spain, returned to Germany in '81, living in a bubble of Spanish Flamenco.
    Then ZZ Top stopped by and my mind exploded.

It got my first Les Paul from the American, but it was local band Rodgau Monotones, and local amp builder Thomas Reußenzehn, the man behind RM's godly guitar sounds to make me realize that god gave Rock'n'Roll to all (well, most) of us.

Ah, the memories.
    The rest is history, and 35 years later, these profiles show up, and my brain makes a somersault backwards.
    Someone hand me a Tequila shot, I need the glass for something, BRB... ^^

Thanks again, U.R., Sirius business!
    Shred

My first real brain-washing

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

My favourite Reußenzehn players
    External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Even the DEA appreciates a blunt when creativity runs low, and given that I am not a copyright lawyer, I do fully approve of this video and recommend it for style, contents, relevance and fun factor to anyone, interested or not ;):P
    IMHO, YMMV, no batteries included, opening voids warranty.

Shred,
    Shred

Dang... i cant buy any thing :D

:D

Ash

But you can play[1] them all, at stupid Rock'n'Roll volume, while the others are outa house, shopping[2].
    Even the dog is in the garden[3], recovering from the limp biscuit some woman[4] gave him.

Rock on,
    Shred

[*Similarities with harmed animals, etc. not intended, given peta and stuff. Inspired by, not created. pp.]