Posts by CountDissident

Being an IT guy, I would recommend getting an updated system. As an alternative you can attempt a VM like Lespauled suggested. You may need use a 3rd party hypervisor like KVM or VirtualBox. Configuring the USB passthough might be a bit tricky but it can be done. I know it will not happen but I would love to see a Linux compatible RM3 come out.

Thanks, I appreciate your response. I guess I will just start shopping for a new computer. Mine is over 10 years old anyway.

One more question...can I update the Kemper and add new rigs without using rigmanager? In other words, can I just add the profiles directly to my shared folder on my formatted USB stick and import them directly to the Kemper without using rigmanager at all?

Hello everyone!

I am currently updating my Kemper to the current and latest release but I still have a a windows 7 computer. I noticed that the current version of rigmanager requires a minimum of windows 8. I also tried to open the current backup from my Kemper via the way of changing the file to a .rar so that it can be uncompressed and used as files, but this apparently no longer works with the current Kemper format. So here are my questions:

1) is there any way to uncompress a current Kemper backup and see the files similar to the old switch to .rar way?

2) is it possible to add my new and old Kemper profiles directly to the usb stick without using rigmanager under the current Kemper format?

3) do you foresee any problem using the current Kemper release with an older version of rigmanager and is it possible to still download that file?

4) should I quit being a cheap bastard and buy a new computer? ;)

Thanks everyone! I apologize for any noobness but unfortunately I have been away from music for close to two years and things have seemed to change quite a bit. Any help that you could offer me would be greatly appreciated!

Do you mean to tell me that sitting in a back breaking position trying to get our eyes to focus on the Kemper screen whilst tweaking for endless hours isn't good enough for you guys? ;) C'mon...It's a character builder!

Thanks Robman! Much appreciated!

Let me go a little further into the details of what I am trying to do. I am trying to record a 3 piece band into a UAD Apollo. There are 4 XLR inputs on the UAD. I have vocals in XLRs 1 and 2 and an acoustic guitar into XLR 3. I also have a keyboard running through the SPDIF. That leaves me one XLR input for the Kemper. Would it be preferable to connect the Kemper via one XLR (this would be mono, correct?) from the left main or should I connect two 1/4" cables (TRS or TS) from the Kemper's 1/4" main outputs to line inputs 5 and 6?

I am considering purchasing some commercial profiles but it is a tough decision because it is not possible to preview most of the commercial profiles before purchase. I have tried so "free" versions of profiles that have be provided by commercial profile sellers, but I don't find them to be much better than some of the profiles available in the Rig Exchange. What make the commercial profiles really worth purchasing? Are there any suggestions to which ones I should consider? I am looking for high gain and bass profiles for metal and I am also looking for the elusive top notch acoustic profile, if this even exists.

Bumping this thread from a year and a half ago. I am happy with what I have been using but I was curious if an new (or superior) acoustic profiles have surfaced since Oct. 2014?

It obviously doesn't if they are still asking customers preferences as to how it should be designed.....

OK, as true as this is...isn't asking for how it can be improved and what preferences are needed/wanted actually showing that they are nowhere close to making it available? I mean, the question of preferences has been asked for over 2 years now. There are 108 pages of people discussing what features they would like to have included. Does it need to be discussed anymore?

I will be using it with a soapbar pickup in a hybrid acoustic guitar. I am really just trying to add "body" and fullness to the tone without making it sound too electrified. I never thought of using the Kemper without a profile, I will definitely give that a try! Thanks!

Thanks everyone!! I appreciate the opinions and I will definitely look into all of them. I am really looking for profiles that have a authentic, woody, full bodied acoustic tone instead of the more "electric" sounding tone. Most tones I have heard in many simulator amps have a more electrified jazz tone. They sound great but they seem to lose that percussive and dynamic tone of a true acoustic guitar.

Ok, I think I have the perfect name for the Kemper Foot Controller...Big Foot!! You could call it Sasqutach instead, if you want. I mean, I have heard that this thing actually exists, but no one can get it on caught on camera.

Really though, isn't this getting a bit ridiculous now?

Thanks for the responses!! The reason I asked about the Crown amp is because I already have one that isn't being used. I was hoping not to have to new a new amp.

The Mesa cab is 240w at 8 Ohm Mono / 4 Ohm Stereo
    The Crown amp is 200W - 8 ohm Stereo (per channel)/300W - 4 ohm Stereo (per channel)/600W - 8 ohm Bridge-Mono
    How would you suggest to hook them up?

Sorry, I am quite noobish at technical jargon. :(

To my understanding this is not possible ( re- programming the original chip).
    Do you find the new eproms too expensive?

No, the cost isn't the issue. I was considering personalization rather than cost. Do the eproms need upgraded eventually or do they have firmware updates?