Posts by Glaurung

Glaurung, If your quad tracking i'd layer up 2 tracks of the 5150 and 2 of the DR, one of each on each speaker to keep it even and give it some width. For leads I dig any of the lead profiles tbh but Recto6L is really cool. If you're talking about putting a lead into a mix then I always try and use the same cab at least as the rhythm tone, that way you wont be fighting too much to get the lead to sit in the mix. You can even use a rhythm tone and just bump up the mids via the KPA!

Thanks James -- you're awesome!

Thanks guys! I think this is my favorite pack to date...I use all of these myself so there's no "secret profiles" around.

5150 and Recto compliment each other perfectly IMO!

Do you usually mix them both in the rhythm tracks, and which do you use for leads? Bought your 5150 pack -- considering grabbing your new Recto pack (I'm not usually a DR fan but these sound amazing).

I just wanted to say that I had a similar reaction to the OP -- when I first started using the Kemper to practice/write/play I had a lot of trouble achieving an "amp-in-the-room" sound, but after receiving plenty of tips/advice on these forums I was able to come very close. Nothing is going to perfectly simulate a 4x12 cabinet in the room (but you can certainly run the Kemper through a cabinet)! What the Kemper does seem to perfectly simulate is the sound you get from recording a 4x12 through a microphone -- which is what we want when we're recording!

I think the biggest thing is that the profiles the OP has been using are designed to be used in a mix -- they're not meant for just jamming. You will rarely ever hear a single-tracked rhythm guitar in a mix -- double or quad tracking is what will give it that thick sound you're looking for.

Just a note to say that the third SinMix metal pack has come out! I, for one, will be buying it in hopes that SinMix continues to produce these amazing profiles. Really hoping for some Bogner and ENGL stuff eventually!

Pretty much all of the profiles discussed here sound fantastic to me. My personal favourites are the SinMix profiles (especially the ENGL and EVH) and the Stymphalian profiles (especially the 5150II).

For recording these sound pretty much perfect already, but I'd like to ask: does anyone have tips for tweaking profiles to get more of an amp-in-the-room sound, for jamming/practicing/writing at lower volumes (through studio monitors)?

I want to thank each and every one of you for your kind (and patient!) replies to what was probably a fairly ridiculous question!

I think the problem was/is 90% psychological. I'm used to hearing *myself* play through a 2x12 in a room -- outside of a few occasions I've rarely listened to what I sound like "miced up" as opposed to in the room, unless it's in a mix! I believe that's most of what I was hearing, in terms of violation of expectation. Hence my initial preference for the headphones w/ the "space" parameter set ridiculously high.

That being said, I think I could improve the sound I'm getting by 1) adding a second monitor, 2) repositioning the monitors, 3) making some changes to the acoustic properties of my room, and 4) tweaking mix-ready profiles to make them a bit more appropriate for jamming/writing/practicing (to attain more of an amp-in-the-room sound).

Thanks so much, everyone -- any further advice is much appreciated, and I'll keep you updated on my progress. The Kemper is hands down my best guitar-related investment to date.

I realize that there are a number of threads involving new Kemper users' experiences of "fizz" with high-gain tones -- however, I felt my situation was unique enough that it did merit its own thread. Apologies if this is redundant (although I did use the search function here).

My issue is this: through headphones, with the headphone "space" parameter set fairly high, everything sounds *amazing.* Guitars have no right to sound this good over headphones! However, I have a single studio monitor (new KRK Rokit 6", G3) which I connect directly to the Kemper like this:

Kemper main output jack -> 1/4" TS -> XLR input of the monitor (i.e., connected via a single TS->XLR cable).

Through both the headphones and the monitor, clean profiles sound amazing.

But this isn't the case for the monitor with distorted/high-gain profiles; for whatever reason, things sound a bit digital and fizzy, sort of the way the Line 6 POD HD sounds. I'm sure there's no problem with this specific KPA unit as the headphones sound fabulous. Nothing sounds damaged or alarmingly bad, but the monitor doesn't sound nearly as good as the headphones, and it seems that the opposite should be the case!

Another thing to note: I don't turn the monitor up very loud at all, as I'm in a small-ish apartment (by necessity). Again this is a *single* studio monitor -- perhaps this is some problem that could be remedied by buying a second monitor, or switching to smaller monitors that I could get away with cranking louder?

One final possibility to note is that the LED above the "MASTER" button does turn red often while playing.

My guitar pickups are fairly high-output (DiMarzio Crunchlab/Liquifire combo).

Cheers, and thanks for your patience! This is an excellent forum!

Just tried the Lasse profiles, and they are reaaaaally good!

The Lasse profiles are miles ahead of the Merrow profiles, and the (in my humble opinion, quite underwhelming) Ola Englund profiles. The most astounding profiles I've heard on the Rig Exchange are actually from a Bogner Shiva (author: r.u.sirius) who also has some hilarious/awesome classic Swedish death metal profiles using the Boss HM2.

I'm about to dive into the SinMix metal profiles and will report back!

Thanks, all, for the very kind suggestions! I might try SinMix #3 as I'm partial to ENGL for leads, but it also has the 5150 III which is another solid favourite.

Speaking of death metal -- there have been some hilarious and fun profiles of the HM2 pedal in front of a JCM 800 by one "r.u.sirius" -- the classic Swedish death sound (Entombed/Dismember). In fact his other high-gain profiles are impressive as well.

Would you lot recommend trying the SinMix, TAF Engl Bundle, or Stymphalian EVH first? The TAF Engl samples sounded a bit underwhelming on the short (and not very informative) clip on their website... That being said, ENGL heads (SE especially) are my favourites.