Posts by andyg_prs

Apologies for the lazy post but we are about to record our album and I was going to help the Bass player record his tracks too.

I'm not very skilled with DAWs at all....I just tolerate using them to get my tracks down so our keyboard player who does all the mixing/production etc can work his magic. That's actually why I got the Kemper over the Axe FX, multiple menus and options are not for me....

I did try signing up at our local college for a weekly Cubase course but it was cancelled as not enough people in total signed up to make the course viable...

Anyhow, we'll be using his Macbook Pro and Focusrite Sapphire. I also have the option to use my Focusrite 2i2 and old PC.

Previously I've used Ableton Lite (I don't like it but I'm used to it) and he also has Garageband.

I know nothing about Macs or Garageband.

When I last recorded I just took Main mono out to one track and Direct Out as Guitar analog to another track. I assume I can do the same with his bass?

I recall that when doing this with the 2i2 I had all kinds of issues trying to balance the levels I was hearing of the dry vs "Kemperised" signal...but that's probably not enough detail to ask for a solution here. It was down to getting the dry level high enough in Ableton but low enough in the monitor mix while I was playing....

Are there any recommendations for Bass profiles to use?

A couple of asides. Any reason why I should consider using the SPDIF output rather than the standard TS/jack output?

Also, one thing with Ableton Lite I could never figure out was the multiple take option. I just recall that it felt almost impossible to review and select different takes of the same track, eg playing a solo over 8 bars and looking for the best take. I recall it showing the takes in one long time line as opposed to stacking them vertically as individual takes which just seemed like madness.

Does anyone know how to do that in Ableton? If not, I'm not currently feeling motivated to learn how to use a new DAW like Reaper or whatever....unless Garageband is spectacularly easy to use in this regard?

Cheers,
    Andy

I tried without the EQ in front and it was a little better. I could try without the EQ in the loop but the sound will be different again.

Any idea on where Kemper effects can be positioned in the chain?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

I have been trying to emulate my other guitarist's rig - a Laney IRT15 with a 10-band EQ in the loop, a Mooer mini-TS type boost (turned on for solos) and a GE-7 in front of the amp.

I have failed miserably at getting decent Profiles myself. As a new approach, I tried setting my DXR10 next to his rig and plugging my guitar into an A/B pedal so that I could make changes to EQ, apply EQ pedals and various other changes on the fly in an attempt to get a comparable sound.

I'm not bothered about cloning his sound....but I do need a sound that can keep up with his.

I decided to try tweaking other IRT profiles from RE and even my favourite rig "Slash Tone" which I've modified.

Anyhow, I got near, but no cigar.....there is a sweetness on his rig when playing high notes which I think is significantly imparted by the EQ in the loop. The lead sound when his boost goes on is awesome too - as I said before, his boost is in the loop.

I need to do lots more experimenting but the Green Scream gets nowhere near, even with the gain all the way down (as his pedal is set) and starts to feedback as the volume is increased.

Anyhow, is there a way to emulate having these pedals between the pre amp and poweramp? I've noticed there is a parallel path function, but this seems to put the pedals after the amp altogether.....and having tried it, doesn't have the desired effect....

As I say, lots more playing to do....but it's interesting.

Cheers,
    Andy

PS - I "popped to the studio" and spent the best part of 3 hours on the above!

So I wanted to audition a bunch of profiles yesterday. I started in Performance mode as I have my favourite rigs in a particular performance that I wanted to compare to the ones I had in a local folder on Rig Exchange. I had the auto-load function and it worked great. At one point I went into Looper mode and recorded a riff and then played back comparing the rigs I was auditioning just by flicking from rig to rig with the up down cursor.

When I finished I tried going up and down a bank in the same way that you would if you'd tweaked a slot in a performance but didn't want to save it.....except the last auditioned rig from RE was stuck there.

I even tried re-booting the Kemper, but that slot had been overwritten by the rig from RE. I definitely hadn't used the Store function.

I tried again using a different slot and same behaviour.

Has anyone else experienced this? Surely it can't be the right behaviour. It'd seem a shame to have to audition rigs from Browser mode. Not the end of the world, but far form ideal....

Cheers,
    Andy

Nah, I don't share my profiles most of the time. No problem, man, no worries, no big deal.

PS: What pickups do you use? I will use similar ones.

Hi, it varies, currently using my '95 PRS CE24 that has their own HFS / VB (Ceramic) pickups. I also sometimes use my self build that has a Tone Zone neck and Evolution Bridge in.

Hi,

Thanks - I really appreciate your help. I tried profiling again now, as before - same terrible results. I don't have the facilities you mention to do a DI profile.

Attached are shots of the amp settings and the EQ pedals (just for interest - GE-7 is in front of the amp, the other one is in the loop).

I'm sure the guitarist often has the volume much louder!

Cheers,
    Andy

Hi,

That's very kind. The thing is that the IRT15 probably sounds different? It's also set up with a Boss GE-7 in front of the amp and a 10 band EQ in the loop.

I could take a picture of the settings on the front of the amp and the EQ settings but not sure if that would be of any use?

By the way - how do you set things up so that you can hear the sound of the amp being profiled through the Kemper when the amp itself is roaring through the cab?

Thanks,
    Andy

Hi,

As I need a reasonable volume from the amp to hit its sweet spot, and I have a single room in which to do the profiling, are there any tips as to how to be able to better hear what is going on?

Eg am I better to use headphones plugged into the Kemper?

Do I increase the volume of the DXR10 so that I can more clearly hear what's coming through that?

I can check the return input by making sure it's not going red this time.

Thanks,
    Andy

I have to say, I've tried a lot of commercial profiles and have been very unimpressed with many. That includes ones that are raved about by most people.

I'd need to spend a lot longer but your AFD profiles as they were certainly rival my own that I've tweaked a lot. Plenty of other very usable profiles too.....thanks so much for sharing :)

My bandmate was using his Ironheart IRT15 through my Marshall 4 x 10 cab with an EQ in the loop and one in front of the amp, and as usual had an amazing sound.

I took the Direct out to the input on the EQ in front of the amp and then an SM57 was placed by our keyboard player (who is a BBC sound engineer) and back into the return on the Kemper.

I turned the reverb all the way down on the Ironheart.

My Kemper was connected to my DXR10 and I started with an AFD100 rig that is quite aggressive. I turned all the stomps and effects off.

The first thing I couldn't figure out was the return level matching using the soft knob 4....I couldn't match to the sound of my Kemper as the Ironheart was pretty cranked....so I couldn't hear it over the sound from the Marshall cab in the room however much I turned it up or down.

Should I have just turned the master volume on the Kemper up a lot more?

Anyhow, I trusted in the words in the manual that this would auto-adjust. I did look for the Input light going red....but looking again, it says the output light is the one that I would have to monitor....I'm a bit confused...perhaps this stage is where I am going wrong?

Anyhow, I put it through the profiling process. Once finished it sounded like a bass boomy muddy mess....nothing like the Ironheart and lots of fizz. Having refined and then saved the new profile, I could use pure cabinet to get rid of the fizz.....but it just sounds pretty bad....and nothing whatsoever even remotely like the Ironheart.

Any pointers?

Thanks,
    Andy