Posts by OneEng1

I use the rack version.

The biggest advantage is that I can .... well .... put it into a rack. In my rack, I have a patch panel. On the patch panel, I have converted the foot controller ethernet to an Ethercon connector (like the other end of the cable for the kemper remote has ... basically an XLR covering with an ethernet connector inside) which makes the rig very fast to setup, and very durable to move around.

My usage is for weekly gigging. I move the gear every week, so setup and tear down time, and the ability to keep the rig safe and protected in transit is very important to me.

As I mentioned in the OP... I create a new preset (rig) for each song. If I want to edit an amp in a rig using Performance mode, I have to do it for every preset (song) that contains it since every rig is a unique copy. Multiply that by 20+ songs in a set and it gets crazy. (Fractal solved this in the Axe-FX II with a Global Amps feature, so that you could save a master amp globally which when edited would update across all presets which contained it.)
    The only solution is to program fewer presets, meaning one preset has to do the work of many songs in a set. This is fine, but then there are issues with naming the presets so that I know what each one does in the heat of a performance, and having enough stomps available for the songs that require them, etc.

Interesting use case.

Several people on this forum have requested that Kemper create a performance manager capability (perhaps in rig manager). I wonder if such a feature would allow you to do what you need as well.

The past reason for this request has been so that when the set list changes, it is easy to manage the performances on the KPA. It may also work for your use case (if it ever comes to pass).

In the mean time, a decent MIDI pedal is likely your best bet. Personally, I would always trend toward ones which were able to get the rig names out to the floor board.

Another vote for the FRFR. The DXR12 should be a nice rig for you.

As an aside, I played my KPA through an Alto TS212 this last weekend. I have to say, while it required a bit of eq to get it sounding right, it did a fair job in a quiet practice of sounding pretty good.

I am used to using my DSR112 (a much more expensive speaker) which sounds very nice indeed, but I was really surprised at how nice a $200 speaker could be made to sound.

Hey Mike,

FWIW, I have never considered MBritt profiles to be something to use with Metal.... of course, I don't play anything north of "Enter Sandman" in my band, and it is by far the heaviest song in our arsenal ;)

I had a chance to do quick DI profile of VHT Pitbull Classic at my reharsal space.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuFpiCmWJ2aygpJSg4gCePNVMokQOA

Let me know if you like it. Is was lead chanell but gain below extreme it can go. Mind to use a cab of choice as this is DI profile only.

I gave up my beloved VHT Pitbull Classic for my Kemper.

Love your profile.

Here is what I did to it:

Cab: SinMix_KSE_5150
    Purecab = 3.0

EQ
    BASE = -1.1
    Middle = +1.4
    Trebel = +2
    Presence = 0

Amp
    Calirity 1.4
    Direct Mix 0.9

Reverb
    Back to default, then Large Room 22.8% mix

PRS SE Custom 24 bridge pickup with a little off the HF on knob. Full volume on the other.

I play through a FRFR Yamaha DSR112 when I am plucking around and through a FOH with in-ears at gigs.

It sounds fantastic..... just like I remember it ;)

Thanks!

Interestingly enough, I don't think I ever used Pure Cab with any of your profiles and when I tried it I didn't like it either, but I like it a lot with quite a few other profiles. Your profiles clearly don't have the harsh artifacts associated with close miking that can be found not only in profiles but in real amps recordings.

Hey Dean,

I have the exact same experience with MBritt profiles. No pure cab needed.

There’s no reason to expect anything new at NAMM really, which was the point of my previous post. I mean we can’t know for sure but it seems like the Kemper is doing well, it’s feature complete as a product, Christoph doesn’t always show new stuff at these trade shows, and some developments take years. So unless there’s either a needed drive more business right now or a personal drive to explore and excel then I just suspect that Christoph will be looking to the future and Kemper may not yet be ready to show anything.

Of course there’s many things we’d all love to see, and even a K2 would be a day one purchase. But I agree with @‘billruppert’ and Christoph and his team haven’t actually indicated anything new is in the works which is in itself unusual as they’ve almost always announced big features well in advance. So I just expect standard merch.

I believe that new verbs were mentioned, but that they would be after the delay engine was revamped. Nothing has been mentioned in some time though.

As for the idea that the Kemper is "complete", possibly so. I certainly don't feel hamstrung on stage with it.

I would love to get more free enhancements to my Kemper, but I am quite happy with the incredible tones I am getting right now ;)

I did this too (and used 3 as well ;) ) until the good folks at Kemper gave us the ability to adjust Pure Cab per rig.

Clean profiles sound better to me with no pure cab at all.

Some crunch profiles sound better or worse with pure cab, so I adjust for each rig

My PRS with heavy profiles works better with more pure cab while my Strat needs less.

To my ears, Pure Cab makes the harmonics smoother in profiles. It tends to take a bit of the bite off the top too. This can be added back with EQ if desired though.

I guess my assumption was that the OP was missing that thump in the chest you can get with a 4x12 cab behind you. Four 12" speakers simply move a LOT more air than a single 12" or 10" box can. There is simply no way around it.

If that isn't the case, then you are correct, a 15" speaker wont make things better.

Nothing else out there digitally can compare with the core sounds but it’s not such a clear winner in other areas; some products out there beat it in terms of editors and effects.

If you’re wanting to make your product as good as possible, it makes sense to concentrate on the areas it doesn’t win in. I know that editors and effects are unimportant to some but, if you’re trying to make the product the best it can be for *everyones* taste and needs, those are the areas to throw time. More happy users and more potential customers if it’s the king in every area. I am hoping that this comes true :)

Agreed. Of course it would be best if your product was simply better in every aspect to your competition AND cost less. Sadly, this rarely occurs in any industry since most every product is a compromise in some way.

The verbs and stomps to me would make the most audible difference .... which is where I live with respect to needs from the product. The editor appeals to an entirely different group of users, but would still be a great upgrade since there are plenty of people in that particular user group.

Great review.

Predominantly, what I have read is that AxeII Fx and KPA generally have a pro following. Most agree that the KPA pure amp tone is the best, but the AxeII Fx has better efx and processing options.

Most people that have tried all 3 tend to say that Helix doesn't compete in the same space, so this review is different in that regard.

Playing my KPA through my FOH (a pair of DSR112's over a pair of PRX618XLF's) blows away any 4x12 I have ever owned ;)

Of course, that isn't what I hear on stage. I use IEM's so the tone I hear is completely different.

My situation is totally different though.

If you are running an amp on stage and miss that big sound, you may need to move up to a 15" powered speaker like the DXR15 to get that huge feel.

It is a pretty prolific speaker so you should be able to trial it out at a local music store to see for yourself.

I am dreaming of a white floorboard :rolleyes: (instead of the remote)
    (If it's green, it doesn't matter. White christmas is also in the minority anyway)

It can only be fed by the KPA and doesn't have to be very editable, but it would be fantastic to play.

Ya know, I thought I wanted that too at one time, but I have changed my mind.

One of the nicest things about the current KPA solution is that my foot controller is small, and has a single Ethercon connection going to it. This really cleans up the area around my feet.

Having a floor board, I would have:

• Power
    • 2 XLR's for output
    • Guitar cord

... all around my mic stage area. That is quite a lot of clutter to work around.

The big advantage would likely be price.... but I already have a KPA rack, so it wouldn't appeal to me for that reason ;)

As far as VST goes, I wouldn't hold my breath guys. Engineering a solution for that would be a PITA and would likely involve a pretty major hardware update IMO.

I must be in the minority, because I’ve never had an issue with the cables. I little tape and it’s a non-issue. I’ve been using the fcb this way for years without a problem. I was thinking of changing after I bought the Kemper. So far, it’s working perfectly.

I even put my cables in plastic conduit to help protect them and to keep the stage clean. Still had cable issues :(

Whatever it is , it will be something major to the KPA, I don't see any other devices unless they compliment the current Kemper.

In the last couple of years I owned a Kemper, there were 3 big updates, Pure Cabs. Morphing, then delays.
    I predict Reverbs + Editor that will be released before NAMM. If nothing comes out, I will still enjoy the Kemper the same but I do appreciate all those who keep pushing for newer things, because it definitively contributes to the KPA evolution.

I am with you Dean.

When I (my personal opinion and use model) look at the KPA, the biggest omission I see is the lack of a good spring reverb. In general, the verbs on the KPA land in the "OK" category for me. They sound good, but not great. They are way better than any cheap multi-fx pedal, but noticeably behind high quality verbs.

Definitely the 2 biggest requests on the forum have been the editor and new verbs.

One of my "wishes" would be a set of better drive/distortion stomps .... but after the verbs ;)

I like to get rid of the powercable...i know there is sollutions for that too on the net for the 1010 but i dont know if i have the skillz to do it

I am an electrical engineer. I was seriously considering this as well. It was going to take me one of my weekend days to do the job and I am pretty decent at electronics:

1) Create a rack mounted power and signal source for a single MIDI cable
    2) Open up the FCB1010 and re-wire the MIDI connector for the new cable, tap off the DC power from the cable into the correct points on the FCB1010 (which as its own internal power supply and must be disabled)

This was always sufficient work to keep me from the modification. Also the idea that there was always the possibility of me messing up and frying my FCB1010 which would have put my total costs very close to what the price of the KFC was.

After all that, I would still have the big footprint of the FCB to work with and would still not have the LCD read-out and color coded LED's.

Just reading this thread again from the beginning! I was a UNO user who upgraded to remote. No comparison IMO, TOTAL integration! What amazed me is the number of people who seem to think the price is an issue. How many guitars do you have, and how much did each cost? Puts things in perspective! :thumbup:

I do think the price is a little steep; however, if you consider the general user base of this product (ie people who don't mind paying good money for good tone), I can see where they would have priced it where it is.

I appreciate every $ I spent on it every time I setup or break down. For me, the straw that broke me down into ordering one was when one of my MIDI cables got an intermittent problem. Took me over a week to figure out which one it was and what was going on. After I figured it out, I decided that I could get the KFC and a backup Ethercon cable and never have that problem again.

The last big enhancements for me were the foot controller (which cleaned up my stage footprint while providing additional features), and pure cab which brought genuine improvement to tone on distorted rigs.

If there were never a foot controller, I would have been actively seeking Kemper out to fix this for me just as some here are clamoring for an editor.

For those that have a work flow that need an editor, this is obviously a very important feature. I don't begrudge their wishes.

However, I would say that "the majority" of KPA users are possibly fine with not having an editor. The KPA wasn't designed like the AxeIIFx to NEED an editor. In fact, some people may well have purchased the KPA simply because they didn't want to "need an editor".

Having said that, for those whose work flow would be greatly enhanced by a decent graphical editor, this is a reasonable request and would improve the attractiveness of the platform.

Now .... back to my great jam on my KPA .... which is sounding incredible .... as always!

I also have the ethercon on my patchpanel (https://www.bax-shop.nl/ethern…male/product-details.html).I'm using the standard UTP connector that comes with the cable with the ethercon chassis connector.
    But how to get the cable equipped with the proper connector (just like on the remote side)?
    Could you tell how to mount it to the cable and a link to order that part?
    Thanks in advance.

Sure.

Part is here: https://www.amazon.com/Neutrik…keywords=ethercon+coupler

Install instructions are here: file:///H:/Downloads/Assembly+Instruction+-+etherCON+Cable+Connector+NE8MC%20(2).pdf

FYI, I cut my old end off and replaced it because I couldn't find these instructions... and I already have crimping tools and testers so it wasn't too much of an effort.

Give it a try. It is a nice upgrade.