Posts by NegativeZero

No progress here, I'm 99% sure that the KPA--not the chip--is the problem. I'm really just speculating, but It seems to me that there is very little that could go wrong with a PROM chip aside from having bad firmware burned onto it from the get-go, but then the problem would exist across all chips that have said firmware rather than just a few. This is not the first hardware problem that I have had with my KPA either--I have an XLR output volume issue that has never been completely solved. But like I said, I'm just speculating, and my view of the situation may be a bit biased due to past problems with this unit, so take my ramblings with a grain of salt.

I have a love hate relationship with Kemper. The tones that I get from this little box are incredible, but the bugs, the spotty quality control and apparent cost-cutting on components is inexcusable for the price. So much for German manufacturing, eh? Despite all of the problems that plague the KPA, it's still the best option in my opinion. I'll deal with the quirks and bugs if it means I won't sound like I'm playing through an overpriced POD (I'm looking at you Fractal Audio).

Something tells me that it's hardware related since numerous updates have not remedied the problem. I have the PowerRack and I purchased it in May of 2014, I'm going to have to check my serial # but perhaps we can identify a serial or date range of affected units so that they can make it right. I'm dreading the thought of going through a warranty return and being without my Kemper for an extended period of time.

Hi everybody
    I just got the EurekaPROM2 for my FCB. I switched from the Uno to the Eureka specifically for the Effects State Feeback (the LED lights properly indicating if an effect is on or off even when switching rigs), but I'm having problems with the footswitch LEDs randomly turning on and off regardless of effects state. I messaged EurekaSound on ebay and they promptly responded. Unfortunately, the solution that they say works for some people who have had this problem does not apply to me because my setup already meets their criteria. Hopefully some of you can shed some more light on the problem.

Sent Date:Apr-14-15 11:11:15 PDT

Dear eurekasound,

Hi, the EurekaPROM2 arrived yesterday and for the most part it works well
    but I'm having one issue with it that I hope you can help me with.

The
    FCB seems to be getting confused from time to time with the effects state
    feedback. It DOES properly reflect effects state MOST of the time (if an
    effect is on, the light is on and vice versa), but the footswitch LEDS are
    also randomly blinking on and off regardless of effects state, even if
    there is no effect assigned to the slot for which the LED is
    blinking.

It seems to be totally random which lights are going to blink
    and when.

My kemper has the latest firmware and I'm connecting to it
    with a brand new dual MIDI cable. I've checked all connections repeatedly,
    reset the configuration and recalibrated the FCB, and switched the Kemper
    MIDI channel from "Omni" to Channel 1. I always fully boot the Kemper
    before booting the FCB. None of this has helped. I've also ran the FCB's
    diagnostic test and everything checked out OK.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Seller has responded to your question about this item
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

Dear secondcoming86,

Glad that the EurekaPROM arrived and that the install went well.

The
    'bug' you're seeing is an oddity of a small percentage of Kemper's. From
    what we can tell, a corruption of the data occurs at the Kemper MIDI out,
    falsely triggering LEDs on the EurekaPROM-enabled FCB1010. What has helped
    a few customers that have seen this is to use short high quality MIDI
    cables and to put the Kemper & FCB1010 on the same power strip.
    Unfortunately, that hasn't always solved it for some customers.

We've
    been trying to debug this for a while now - it's been difficult because it
    doesn't affect all Kempers, and it seems to be intermittent. This doesn't
    happen at all with the other effects units that have feedback, the
    AdrenaLinn 3 & Behringer series. Luckily no one has seen corruption on the
    MIDI input of the Kemper (i.e., effects randomly turning on & off).

-eurekasound

Tada! I tried your suggestion viabcroce and had plenty of volume on the monitor out, then I switched back to the xlr mains and had plenty of volume again. I still don't know what I was doing wrong, but now I'm going to try to recreate the problem for the sake of the next guy.

Thank you all for the help, good community here.

Well, the problem is definitely within the Kemper itself. I tried a different XLR cable and I also tried connecting to a KRK Rokit 8 G2--which is a pretty loud monitor, and even with the Rokit's volume maxed and the Kemper main output volume maxed it was only as loud as speaking to someone in the same room. I also tried a factory settings reset which made no difference. My last hope is that maybe it's a firmware glitch that can be solved with an update.

It might also be worth mentioning that I have a Boss Gt-100 which I mainly use for effects with my tube amps and I connected that to the Alto and KRK with a Radial ProD2 passive DI and it was much louder--even with a volume-robbing DI in the chain.

It's starting to look like this is going to be a warranty issue, does anybody know how good Kemper is about making things right in a timely manner in these situations?

I turned up the other output sources and it made no difference, so there doesn't seem to be any sort of linking bug.

I do not have another PA cab to try, but tomorrow night I will try a different XLR cable and then plug the Kemper into my audio interface and test it out that way. That should at least show if the issue is on the Kemper end or on the Alto end.

Next step is going to be a firmware update.

I'll report back after trying everyone's suggestions.

Thanks

I've had my Kemper Power Rack for about five months now. When I first got it, I tried it with my Alto TS115a powered PA speaker and it worked flawlessly. Shortly after that, I started using guitar cabs with the Kemper and have been since then. Last night I switched back to the PA cab and had hardly any volume. I turned the volume knob on the back of the Alto up to the maximum point of the line level range, turned the main volume and profile volume up to max on the Kemper, and still had hardly any volume (but I did have some pretty awful output clipping).

I double checked the levels in the output menu and the main volume is up, with "Main Out Link" enabled, and "Main Output" is set to "Master Mono". Direct Output and Monitor Output are both also set to "Master Mono" and SPDIF Output is set to "off". Monitor Volume, Direct Volume, and Headphone Volume are turned all of the way down to the "infinity character". Main Output EQ is flat except for the Bass which is at -0.5.
    I'm using the Right XLR output.

Firmware version is 2.6.0.10201B

I experimented by turning the volume knob on the Alto up higher--into the "Mic Level" volume range, and then I was able to turn the levels on the Kemper back down to normal levels, and still have good sound and plenty of volume.

What worries me is that this could damage the Alto... Feeding line level signal into it while it is set for Mic level signal. But it is the only way that I can get usable volume from the Kemper XLR outs.

Did Kemper change something in the firmware, or is my Kemper broken? Any other menus or settings that I possibly overlooked?