XLR Out to Powered FRFR Volume Too Low

• I've had my Kemper Power Rack for about five months now. When I first got it, I tried it with my Alto TS115a powered PA speaker and it worked flawlessly. Shortly after that, I started using guitar cabs with the Kemper and have been since then. Last night I switched back to the PA cab and had hardly any volume. I turned the volume knob on the back of the Alto up to the maximum point of the line level range, turned the main volume and profile volume up to max on the Kemper, and still had hardly any volume (but I did have some pretty awful output clipping).

I double checked the levels in the output menu and the main volume is up, with "Main Out Link" enabled, and "Main Output" is set to "Master Mono". Direct Output and Monitor Output are both also set to "Master Mono" and SPDIF Output is set to "off". Monitor Volume, Direct Volume, and Headphone Volume are turned all of the way down to the "infinity character". Main Output EQ is flat except for the Bass which is at -0.5.
    I'm using the Right XLR output.

Firmware version is 2.6.0.10201B

I experimented by turning the volume knob on the Alto up higher--into the "Mic Level" volume range, and then I was able to turn the levels on the Kemper back down to normal levels, and still have good sound and plenty of volume.

What worries me is that this could damage the Alto... Feeding line level signal into it while it is set for Mic level signal. But it is the only way that I can get usable volume from the Kemper XLR outs.

Did Kemper change something in the firmware, or is my Kemper broken? Any other menus or settings that I possibly overlooked?

• You didn't use monitor out (1/4") previously?

Did you ever reduce/attenuate the main outputs in the output configuration to accommodate mixing consoles or computer audio interfaces?

The KPA should be able to deliver up to 22dBu on the main outputs which should be enough to drive just about any amplifier or active cabinet with a XLR balanced input.

• You didn't use monitor out (1/4") previously?

Did you ever reduce/attenuate the main outputs in the output configuration to accommodate mixing consoles or computer audio interfaces?

The KPA should be able to deliver up to 22dBu on the main outputs which should be enough to drive just about any amplifier or active cabinet with a XLR balanced input.

This.
    How is it with another cab?

• Well, the Alto might be damaged, why not?

Could you try it with a CD player or your computer and see what levels you get at which input settings?

Also, if you have a stereo you could try the Profiler there.

Last but not least, I'd try a different cable (any 1/4" will do the trick) :)

• Seems to be outputting at a decent volume when OP switches to mic signal, so I'm guessing this is some sort of user error.

• Seems to be outputting at a decent volume when OP switches to mic signal, so I'm guessing this is some sort of user error.

This might hint at the power section being damaged and working at a fraction of its power. Connecting a different sound source would definitively exclude any issue on that side.
    And the cable needs to be checked as well :)

• I turned up the other output sources and it made no difference, so there doesn't seem to be any sort of linking bug.

I do not have another PA cab to try, but tomorrow night I will try a different XLR cable and then plug the Kemper into my audio interface and test it out that way. That should at least show if the issue is on the Kemper end or on the Alto end.

Next step is going to be a firmware update.

I'll report back after trying everyone's suggestions.

Thanks

• Well, the problem is definitely within the Kemper itself. I tried a different XLR cable and I also tried connecting to a KRK Rokit 8 G2--which is a pretty loud monitor, and even with the Rokit's volume maxed and the Kemper main output volume maxed it was only as loud as speaking to someone in the same room. I also tried a factory settings reset which made no difference. My last hope is that maybe it's a firmware glitch that can be solved with an update.

It might also be worth mentioning that I have a Boss Gt-100 which I mainly use for effects with my tube amps and I connected that to the Alto and KRK with a Radial ProD2 passive DI and it was much louder--even with a volume-robbing DI in the chain.

It's starting to look like this is going to be a warranty issue, does anybody know how good Kemper is about making things right in a timely manner in these situations?

• Tada! I tried your suggestion viabcroce and had plenty of volume on the monitor out, then I switched back to the xlr mains and had plenty of volume again. I still don't know what I was doing wrong, but now I'm going to try to recreate the problem for the sake of the next guy.

Thank you all for the help, good community here.