Posts by PB26

Well, I saw a video of Ola Englund on YouTube using a Kemper with an XLR cable into a Presonus AudioBox 22VSL, which according to the Presonus website has XLR Input Max Headroom of +10 dBu; the TS option has input max headroom of +15 dBu.

So, if I go for the Audiobox 44VSL instead, which has XLR max headroom of +16 dBu, surely then I should be in the clear to use the XLR cable.

Spent a lil more time with it and it's an amazing device. It's incredibly loud at low volumes with total clarity abd tonal articulation

That is awesome. I am literally counting the days 'til mine gets here. Already got a nice little spot in my apartment waiting for it.

Well, there it is -- thanks solving that riddle! I am a total newbie when it comes to this stuff, but still, I can usually find my way around at least well enough to get things up and running half-decently. Nice to know it's inherent interface limitations and not some set-up issue I was missing.

Yes, if the soundcard recognizes the plug and switches to Mic mode it's more comfortable to work with 1/4".
    All the 1/4" outs in the Profiler are unbalanced, but for a short connection on a "non-so-noisy" environment it's not a main issue.

Thanks. I'll stick to 1/4" then. The cables are only 3' long and I don't have much going on technologically in my apartment, so I should be good.

One last question, if I may: is it okay to have, at the same time, the two XLR Main outs going out to studio monitors or a CLR, and then also the Kemper 1/4" Main outs to the Steinberg? Does the Kemper default to XLR or 1/4" if they're both plugged in at the same time? I'm very cautious so I haven't tried it -- just in case it fries my Kemper!

This is what I'm referring too as well. I'm running the KPA directly into mic-preamps on various analog and digital mixing-consoles as well as a variety of different recording audio-interfaces. Does the Steinberg interface actually clip with the input gain-knobs at minimum and the KPAs main output at -20dB?

The bottom right volume knob sets the volume for a particular rig and is what you use to balance the level between rigs so that your cleans matches your crunch and filth.

Yes, I had the interface gain at the bare minimum and the Kemper Main Out volume down as low as it can go.

As you said, the bottom right volume is for the rig itself and had no impact on my issue.

What I'm noticing through every one of these volume knob adjustments:

With the XLR cables, the input indicator bars in Audacity are 'idling' extremely high: without touching a string they are already at about 75% of the total distance they can travel. So once I hit the strings, it's goodbye -- they're off the charts. With the 1/4" cables, the bars idle at a very low level -- they're just barely visible before I hit the strings, and then once I do so they travel their full range as they're supposed to.

Thanks guys. I had the Main Output at about -20 dB and it was still bad. Had it much louder with 1/4" and it was perfect -- plug and play The XLR cables are brand new and I tested them on some near-fields, so that can't be the issue. One thing I don't think I've played with is the volume knob at the bottom right of the toaster, next to the EQ knobs. If that doesn't work I'm sticking to 1/4.

My Steinberg manual says this about the jacks that take the 1/4" and XLR cables:

"For connection to a microphone or digital instrument. This jack can be connected to both XLR-type and phone-type (balanced/unbalanced) plugs. When connected to an XLR type plug, this jack automatically switches to microphone input sensitivity, and when connected to a phone-type plug, it switches to line input sensitivity."

I honestly don't know what this means but maybe it has the answer to my issue.

Interestingly, in terms of sound quality (which is quite good) I cannot distinguish between:

Guitar --> Kemper --> Steinberg --> Audacity/Reaper

and

Guitar --> Kemper --> Both Kemper 1/4" Main Outs --> 1/8" Line In on Zoom H1

Okay thanks. I tried a bunch of adjustments and I think that was one of them, but I'll give it another go!

Decent computer audio-interfaces have so good converters that there hardly is any audible coloring of the tone, but you have to make sure you get everything across. Listening with headphones on the KPA and use the same headphones on an audio-interface that offer hardware monitoring of the input signal should be near identical if you make sure you have a stereo-connection between the KPA and the audio-card with two 1/4" unbalanced or two XLR balanced cables (XLR recommended). You can also establish a digital S/PDIF connection if you have an audio-interface with S/PDIF input to eliminate one A/D/A conversion sequence, but I doubt you'll be able to hear any difference.

Cool. One thing I noticed is I have to use the 1/4" jacks. If I use XLR cables, the signal becomes extremely loud and it gets significantly distorted. I'm fine using the 1/4" but it seems really odd that I would have this weird change with the XLRs.

Well, tweak this, tweak that. Getting some wicked recordings from Kemper -- Steinberg -- Audacity/Reaper.

Oh no! I think I've got a mono problem if I get a CLR....

I tried some near-field studio monitors at the music shop and right away I noticed that when I used only one, even though the mp3 I ran through sounded nice and clear, because it was coming out in mono, I wasn't hearing all parts of the mix as I would in stereo. Not good! Two monitors solved that problem.

So.....if I get only one CLR, which is the only feasible option financially, will I have that mono problem all over again? I'm thinking the answer must definitely be yes, in which case two studio monitors is the way to go.

I was impressed with the Yamaha HS7!

P.S.: Thank you Kemper for the Alternative Input jacks! It's great to play those Iommi riffs along with Geezer and Ward and Ozzy!

So that was very cool, I'd say the recordings I'm getting are about 70% of the sound quality I get just plugging my guitar into the Kemper and listening with studio headphones (which is just amazing).

Assuming....Guitar ---> Kemper ----> interface ----> DAW (without any reamping or other fancy stuff).....

.....how close can you get to the quality of just listening to the Kemper directly? Is it the interface that does the heavy lifting in terms of transferring the sound quality, or the computer, or a mix of both? I always hear people saying you gotta have a Mac if you want to do this kind of thing right.

Connect the Kemper Main 1/4" or XLR Outs into the interface inputs.

Amazing. Grabbed a spare 1/4" guitar cable, plugged from Kemper Main Out to interface input, and that's it. Did a test recording in Audacity and it worked perfectly.

Paults, I really appreciate the help. I had it in my head that something super complicated had to happen and thanks to you I now know all I need to do is plug the thing in in the most intuitive way. Cheers and thank you again!

Wow, this is brutal. All the stuff I'm finding is for reamping and it's way too much for my purposes. Does anyone know where I can find a guide or video on how to connect the Kemper to an interface, so the fully processed signal passes from Kemper to interface to DAW? I don't need a dry signal to mess around with.