Posts by southbeck

So I bought the profiles and tried them yesterday. They sound great! Very happy with them so far.
    I did some a/b testing with some of my older favourite mbritt profiles like the friedman and to me they sound better mixed. I think the added clarity is that they are not as fat in the lows, low-mids.

The deluxe sound great! And the Egnater was a surprise to me. What a great distortion! Very versatile and feels great.

Yes, my kemper got an error message when I tried to update to the latest firmware. I was in contact with support and we tried a few sollutions but ended up with that I hade to reset my kemper.
    So I lost most of my profiles. I still have backup of a bunch but not all.

Anyway! I thought about buying some new profiles and was hoping for some opinion on the Mbritt sweet 16 pack? Is it a good pack to cover everything from clean to distortion? It´s for a top 40 band. I´ve hade several of his packs before but read somewhere that the sweet 16 pack is a little more open/brigher than the others. Is that true? His packs sound great but can be kinda dark.

I´ve been using Mbritt profiles for quite som time now. And I´m very satisfied with them . But thought I should look in to what´s new out there. Feel like there should be some new good profilers to check out.

Any suggestion to what I should look in to?

Well, yes, It can be more gear to haul around. But most of the time there are wedges at the venue. Or the bands stuf.

The advantage is that playing through wedges only is accurate but not really fun if you are used to a guitar cab.

Playing through a guitar cab is more fun but not that accurate since it´s not flat response.

That´s why using both gets you best of both worlds.

Maybe not for everybody but made an huge improvement for me.
    Think Michael Britt goes about it the same way. He uses in ear but still has a guitarcab on stage. I believe he even has it pointed away. But that feeling and response you get from a cab makes a big, big diffrence.

That is absolutely right that cabs aren´t neutral. But some are more so than others. Like Celestion seventy 80, that I use, that are in many modelling amps.

My whole point is to use a cab only for the feel. But since it isn´t flat response you use it in combination with an fr/fr wedge. Not only one or the other as most threads seem to talk about.

It´s not a problem at all to use both at the same time. Dial in the wedge for volume so you can hear yourself and get an accurate representation of Foh and your profiles. Then just dial in your cab as well for bass response and attack, just to get the feel from it as said.

Is simply to use both.
    There seem to be an endless amount of treads regarding what fr/fr solution is the best or if a cab onstage is better.

To me the solution is easy. Dial in a bit of your profile (I use kemper) in the bands wedges for accuracy and to get an idea of how it sounds Foh. And than you use a as neutral cab as possible and blend that with the sound from the wedge. Done. You get both the feel from the cab and the accuracy from a fr/fr system.

May not sound like a big of a deal. But people always seem to write about it like it has to be one or the other.

Anyone else goes about it this way?

I was about to order a Celestion Cl80 on thoman to use with a cab and ehx 44 with my kemper when I saw this one. The price is about the same as the speaker it self.. This has Celestion Cl80s in it as well.
    But then you also get a rather lightweight combo (16 kg), that has effect loop, aux in, and a rather sober look to go with the kemper.
    I haven´t tried it, and I know about Harley Benton.. But on paper it looks great for the Kemper!
    I´ll probably order one as I was about to get the speaker that comes with it anyway.
    http://www.thomann.de/se/harle…elestion+lead+80_152541_6

[Blocked Image: https://thumbs4.static-thomann.de/thumb/bdbmagic/pics/bdb/152541/9309052_800.jpg]

I had a 2nd Kemper as backup, but a friend has borrowed it for a tour. Will probably sell the backup, and use my old Digitech RP1000 instead if I bother to drag a backup with me at all. Do people have backups for their old tube-amps with them at all times? I've played tube-amps for 35 years and never carried a backup. Would an amp-sim would be any less reliable than tubes if you only stay away from betas and experimental software?

Well, yes. Always, always carry a backup.

Sounds like a good backup plan but what's your contingency plan if the hd500 fails first?
    not one to be doom and gloom but I am plagued by the same concern. Boy Scouts motto....

I don´t see it as a big problem if the hd500 goes down. The main thing is to get through the gig. So if the kemper is working at least I can still play, and sound good. Probably just use one overdrive sound and use the volumecontrol on the guitar for cleans.

Yes, of course a speaker always has a degrea of coloration.

But when using a kemper, to me, it's not the same thing as finding a speaker to go with a specifik amp.

I want something as close to the profiles as possible. So the difference between xlr to foh is as close as close possible to the cab.

That's why I thought about the cl80. Think I read somewhere that Mbritt is using that one for many of his profiles.

I use Mbritt profiles exclusively, and I´m very pleased with the sound going foh.
    But playing through just monitors doesn´t do it for me. So I wan´t to combine it with a cab onstage.

What kind of speakers do you have in your cab with kemper?

Since mbritt mostly is using celestion cl 80(?) I guess that would be the obious choice for a cab for his profiles.
    Has anybody tried a cab with his profiles with something other than cl 80? How dit it work out?

I don´t need it to sound identical to the profiles. I just wan´t to use it for that amp in the room-feeling. But getting as close as possible would be great.

Well, so I got a Pod hd 500x today to control my kemper with. Very happy so far!

To me it actually has more advantages than the remote. And the main advatage is that the hd500 also serves as a backup to kemper. So you don´t have to bring some extra gear. If kemper goes down al i have to do is connect the xlr to the pod instead and I´m ready to go.
    And you get the expression pedal that can function both as volume and wha.
    I can control effects on and off, use tap tempo and turn on the tuner on kemper.
    I use it in performance mode.

I can highly recommend it!

So I went to my first gig this weekend where we all had to use IEM. Haven´t played with it before.
    I went and bought a pair of shure se215 earbuds which sounded just fine to me at home. I checked my presets through them and with a pair of Akg k240 headphones and my studio monitors.
    So, got to the gig and got everything set up. Used the bands wireless, Akg Spr4. It sounded absolutely terrible. Cleans were ok, but with distortion it was embarrassing. Sounded extremely shrill, buzzy and just reallly unpleasant.

I have no experience with Iem so didin´t know what to do. I rolled of some prescence but i don´t wanna mess up my presets either. Which I hope sounded good out front. Tried pure cab also.
    I saw that they used diffrent kinds of wireless system in the band. Hopefully i didn´t sound that bad in the bandleaders mix.

What would you do? Is there anything you can do?

Haven´t read all the answers but I really get what markyboy means. Many options isn´t always a good thing. After a while you get lost and don´t know what sounds good or not if you are tweaking for a long time.
    I think kemper sounds amazing. But at a gig last night a brought my mesa boogie express and pedalboard. To me nothing beats the simplicity and feeling of a great tube amp with some pedals. Plug in, turn up and there you go.
    But next week I will need to use the kemper for my first gig. Will be interesting. Plan on using it the same way as with an amp. Just a good clean and then use my pedalboard as I normally would.

Just bought the pack 2. I´m blown away. To me it sounds fantastic and much better than the first. Much better dialed in from the start with better presence. Been trying so many profiles and adjusting to my taste the last month since i got it. The CAA PT100 is worth the money alone for me. The clean is big and bold, like a great twin but with more authority. And the crunch and distortion is EXACTLY what I´ve been searching for. In many years actually. Then again a CAA has always been one of my dream amps.

Thanks Michael Britt!