My solution to Fr/fr vs Cab

• Is simply to use both.
    There seem to be an endless amount of treads regarding what fr/fr solution is the best or if a cab onstage is better.

To me the solution is easy. Dial in a bit of your profile (I use kemper) in the bands wedges for accuracy and to get an idea of how it sounds Foh. And than you use a as neutral cab as possible and blend that with the sound from the wedge. Done. You get both the feel from the cab and the accuracy from a fr/fr system.

May not sound like a big of a deal. But people always seem to write about it like it has to be one or the other.

Anyone else goes about it this way?

• A monitor on the floor is not a guitar cabinet. It will not have similar speakers and will not be voiced for guitar.

• I'm confused...guitar cabs aren't neutral, that's the point - so when you say finding a neutral cab, that highlights the problem not the answer...unless I aslo misunderstood..

As a result profiles sound so different between guitar cabs and Frfr that its difficult ( I believe) to use both without a lot of fiddling. Might as well go FRFR and use the band wedges/monitors as your backline, although I've not had the balls to do this yet! Next gig...

• That is absolutely right that cabs aren´t neutral. But some are more so than others. Like Celestion seventy 80, that I use, that are in many modelling amps.

My whole point is to use a cab only for the feel. But since it isn´t flat response you use it in combination with an fr/fr wedge. Not only one or the other as most threads seem to talk about.

It´s not a problem at all to use both at the same time. Dial in the wedge for volume so you can hear yourself and get an accurate representation of Foh and your profiles. Then just dial in your cab as well for bass response and attack, just to get the feel from it as said.

• I got confused when you said wedge and then you said "neutral" cab. I assumed you were talking about regular wedges at the venue and an FRFR cab, not the other way around.

I actually don't see what the advantage of blending both sounds would be though. Just adds up to more gear being hauled around, one or the other should suffice for monitoring purposes.

• Well, yes, It can be more gear to haul around. But most of the time there are wedges at the venue. Or the bands stuf.

The advantage is that playing through wedges only is accurate but not really fun if you are used to a guitar cab.

Playing through a guitar cab is more fun but not that accurate since it´s not flat response.

That´s why using both gets you best of both worlds.

Maybe not for everybody but made an huge improvement for me.
    Think Michael Britt goes about it the same way. He uses in ear but still has a guitarcab on stage. I believe he even has it pointed away. But that feeling and response you get from a cab makes a big, big diffrence.

• I've been using both a of Dynacord monitor and an EV SX200 PA speaker for the last few weeks and its working well for me. Monitoring in Stereo is a little strange to get used to though

• I also use a DXR10 as a front Monitor and a passive Wedge loaded with a Celestion Creamback in my rear. It's a very comfortable sound-surrounding on stage.

The only additional effort (besides more gear to Transport) is the dialing in of the different volumes (FoH, Direct-Output to DXR and Monitor-Out to passive Wedge),
    because the volume-relation between the DXR and the Wedge changes when raisin the master volume (the Celestion becomes increasingly louder than the DXR) and you have to correct the relative-volumes in the Output-Volume-Screen.