Posts by Antipodes

The Matchless profiles in the first Tonejunkie's pack were quite appealing so I was looking forward to the full sets and the demos were really nice so I couldn't resist. The full sets (C 30/15 and C30) cover so much more ground - there are 41 for the C 30/15 and 46 profiles for the C30. All the original offerings in Pack 1 used the Greenback but these new packs are split between the Heritage, the Greenback and the combination of both. Some of the most desireable drive pedals have been used - Analogman King Of Tone, Xotic BB preamp, Klon Centaur, Morning Glory, Timmy and a TS808 - to very good effect.

These amps are powered by 4x EL84s in the Vox tradition but with a range of tonal variation not seen on those amps. The C 30 set has quite a range of characters with an EF86 based preamp channel switchable with a 12AX7 channel.

I like to work with clean to just breaking up tones a lot and both sets had very sweet tones in that range and the C 30 set caters exceptionally well with so many variations in character between the 3 speaker options, the two channels and finely graded steps up the gain range. As an example - one patch uses the LO input on the EF86 and just the first step up on gain and I can play anywhere from pure clean to jangling drive just with variation in pick attack - these are so dynamic and flexible. The tonal balance seems to work with anything from a tele bridge pickup to a neck humbucker

The clean boosts like the Klone and Morning Glory are used with modest gain levels which I think was a great choice as they worked really well for me with just about every kind of pickup from Fender single coils, P 90s and humbuckers.

Further up the gain range these amps have phenomenal tones. The King of Tones patches (overdrive and distortion) were just glorious with P 90s and just as impressive with my LP. The pure amp tones - most of the set just use the amp channels with varying levels of gain - were consistently excellent.

These comprehensive new sets are not quite like anything else I have played and would serve well across a wide gamut of styles from country to blues to classic rock and indie stuff. These profiles bring more raunch to the table than most of the other Tonejunkie sets: there's less emphasis on the pure Fender style cleans - although sweet clean tones are here in spades - and more of a full spectrum of rhythm and lead tones, from clean chords and lines to driving riffs and ripping lead tones.

I found myself looking up what amps like these cost in my area and quickly decided that they were too rich for my blood. I just hope Jonathan has more boutique and vintage amps like the Morgan and the Matchless and Suhr at his disposal as that is probably the only way I will get to appreciate them.

Thanks for sharing these Selmer Zodiac profiles. Nice job.

Just a tip for any other tweakers and Selmer afficianados: the cab on these Selmer Zodiac profiles is really quite a gem. I tried locking the cab from the cleanest of these and saved it with some of Neil Connor's "Selmer Twin Bass 30" profiles which are on RE. Worked beautifully.

That amp has two clean profiles (one with Sennheiser SE606 and the other with a Shure SM58) and some more pushed profiles and they are excellent as they are but seem to work very well with the Gold/Greenback combo cab that Oraakkeli has used on his.

Ivan, you've outdone yourself - a really nice job on the HR50. Great meaty tones with plenty of oomph in the lower mids. I particularly like the higher end of the gain range on the Low channel and the lower end of the range on the High channel: Very satisfying with humbuckers.

Are you going to do some more sometime with your EVH cab etc? I tried locking the EVH cab from one of your profiles from another amp and running the Soldano direct profiles through it - sounded superb.

I think the Helix Native phenomenon is worth noting. If that move - which is a big move for a company selling comparable hardware - pays off (ie big sales = big $) , other competitors may feel compelled to follow. Line 6 were doing software (amp farm) before they sold even the first Pod so they are no strangers to slinging guitar amp sims as software.

Potentially, Fractal and Kemper could port their code to modern in the box processing (Intel/ARM etc). They could use a hardware breakout box/interface to prevent piracy and allow controlled connectivity perhaps. It could be that some think these latter companies are not keen on the software biz but the Virus has been ported to plugin land in a comparable way.

Matt was kind enough to sling me a set of the JJ-Watt profiles and I've spent some time with them. The JJ Watt is a 50 Hi Watt clone built by Jason Jurczyk. This set is like the Acey and the JMP in that it has several steps in gain - in this case 4 steps from Clean to Mid Gain, High Gain and finally, High Gain +.

It employs the same 4x12 cabs used in the JMP set with Alnico Blues, Greenbacks, Lynchbacks, V30s and Classic Lead 80s which are pretty warm and round sounding and, from what I gather, are close relatives to the C90s Mesa Boogie use in some of their cabs and seem to be MBritt's driver of choice.

The amp was profiled at all 4 gain levels with bright and normal settings and all 5 cabs.

This amp has a character that is clearly distinct from the Vox and the Marshall - plenty of top end and chiming clean tones. I think it is a geat amp for rock or blues and styles like ska and reggae and the clean sounds would work with any style from jazz to country to ambient - they took effects really well and the clarity they retained even when drenched with mod, delay and reverb Fx was really impressive.

I found the clean profiles sounded absolutely beautiful with humbuckers - LP/335/PRS type guitars with mahogony bodies/maple tops will work really well with these profiles. The clean profiles are right up there in volume - not weaker sounding than the higher gain ones - and they are so clear and warm with the humbuckers - no muddiness of shrillness - just a beautiful balance of frequencies with exceptional clarity. I don't know if Matt is using ribbon mics at all but this is the sort of warm transparent sound I associate with those mics.

The mid gain and high gains worked just as well for lines and rhythm parts - you could not make these sound bad with a 335 with 11s on it - finding the sound you want is just a matter of dialing in the volume level on the guitar and you have tones that are just breaking up, crunch sounds or singing, sustaining lines.

I had good results with single coils also. The HG+ and HG gave me ripping rock lead and solid rhythm tones with a tele and the crisp Clean and Mid Gain profiles came up well with lower output from that guitar. I think the HG+ profiles are going to work best for strat and tele players. The thicker tones from P90s were a great match for this whole set and I think semi acoustic guitars work exceptionally well with this set.

When I dump these into Rig Manager the first profile in the list is the clean bright Alnico profile and that first one sounds so immediately impressive that I think the set is worth having for that profile alone. I have to complement Matt for the tones he is getting out of those cabs with the signal chain he is using - (C'mon spill Man! - What are these profiles recorded with?) I have all four of his latest sets now and they have been on high rotation here over the holidays. I look forward to where he goes next with his latest methods.

Thanks - that is an excellent set, covers a lot of bases. The KPA does such a nice job on profiling these things - no noise, just clean and solid tone. They work a treat with a JB or with active p/us. The only change I make is to put some subtle modulation - like the One Way Flanger - in slot D and they are good to go.

I've just discovered the Stereo Widener through your profile, and suddenly there's an fullness coming out of my speakers. Wow, great effect =O

Maybe I'll do some more profiles tomorrow

Yeah - I got that setting off someone else's shared profiles - possibly Meambobbo's - and I just have it locked in the X position these days. A keeper ;-).