Posts by Antipodes

Thanks for the pointer, Kosta. I grabbed the Choptones Bassman set after a listen to the demos and I am really impressed. I don't want heavily distorted bass tones and these are right in my wheelhouse right out of the box. They cover a diversity of very useable tones - pretty much all of which I could find a use for. Some really solid deep tones with the Ampeg and Aguilar 15s and some brighter sounds from the Hartke and plenty in between. The R121 mic patches and some of the patches using the 2x10 Mesa and Markbass cabs are some of my favorites.

Just a further suggestion on cab management for Rig Manager and the KPA.
    I have lots of cab impulses from Ownhammer and others that I would like to audition on the KPA. I imported a bunch via USB stick but they all get dumped into one folder that way. It takes ages to scroll through the list and the names are truncated- which can make them indistinguishable if the difference between items in the series is late in the name (eg here's what cab maker does with the new MAR-66 impulse set of which there are 724 names like this : OH 212 MAR-66 417-H MIX LG - 2015-06-04 19-24-46.kipr).

Ideally, stepping through these using a folder imported into Rig Manager would be the way to go. Being able to group the impulses in sub folders inside the cab list on the KPA would be a major improvement failing that.

This issue reminds me of the early days of VST plugins (late 90s) when hosts like Logic would lump all of them into one giant list with no sub-folders allowed. It was a major relief when hosts allowed sub-folders within the VST Plugins folder.

I am downloading the latest version of RM (1.35). So far two failed downloads. On the previous version it seems that my Rig Manager has corrupted the Rig Exchange collection. On opening it reports 0 rigs in Rig Exchange. It then connects and downloads them the number increments by 16 at a time and it takes ages to get through the 6301 rigs. Then, it stops 3 rigs short of the total and downloads no further FOR HOURS. If I then close Rig Manager it says "are you sure you want to do this when the task is incomplete?". If I go ahead and close RM, the next time I open it, it reports 0 rigs in Rig Exchange and starts all over again. I have gone through this process 3 times. This can't be helping the server load on Rig Exchange. Hope the new version, if a download ever completes addresses this. (This is on Win 7 64)

Update: New 135 version resumed RE at 6200 after last close 3 short (so about 100 rigs short of the displayed total when I closed Rig Manager 132 down with RE download still incomplete after some time). RM 135 downloaded the remaining rigs without stalling short of the total. New total for RE is 6269 which is 32 less than the earlier total. I don't know if this reflects rigs copied to local folders or what but at least the process concludes and closing and reopening RE finds the previously downloaded RE still there.

Hi,

I was wondering if the Kemper OS would allow users to assign a MIDI program change message to a Kemper Rig or Performance preset so that selecting that preset (eg via the Kemper Remote) would automatically send a MIDI message to an external FX device (eg in the FX Loop) connected to the Kemper MIDI Out?

This way, you could assign specific external patches on external FX to a given Kemper Performance or snapshot.

Regards,
    Antipodes

I was interested in the picture of the cab micing which came with this library. The speakers had no grilles and were miced up with many mics including multiple (what looked to be) Royer 121s. These were pitched forward at about 30+ degrees from the vertical and mounted in front of the driver cones - some in front of the cap and others sort of off center and off axis but with the ribbon approximately parallel to the cone surface. I am not sure if this to find optimum tone or more a strategy to protect the ribbon from air movement ( Royer recommends inclining the 121 15 degrees or so off the axis from the sound source when micing a kick drum reso head for example) . A bit of an explanation of the micing technique used would be pretty instructive I expect.

Great samples there, Kempafun. I was so impressed with them I took the plunge and invested in the big pack deal and the DSL really is a blast to play. The big pack has 500 profiles in it and will take some time to explore but it looks to be fantastic value at the current price. Great stuff DeadlightStudio. :thumbup:

Tolerance of latency is a bit variable. Latency comes up a lot with people playing amp sims and drum samplers in their DAW. The better interfaces like the RME ones offer buffer sizes down to 64 and even 32 samples so round trip latencies can be low single figure msec in these cases. Some players don't like working with buffer sizes of 128 samples or above because they find the delay disturbing. In the case of looping, where you are trying to synch with a cycle, I guess the limits of precision are with the player but there is an argument that the tools shouldn't be making it any sloppier.

I think MIDI activation of the Looper function is a good idea but I can see that the CAT 5 solution is going to be tighter timing wise.

DIN MIDI is 31.5 kbits/sec and CC messages are 3 bytes long (if I recall correctly) and have to be sent and received serially before the message content can be registered at the receiving end.Even if there were no other latency in registering the button press in the remote or buffering of the incoming data at the Kemper end, those 24 bits are going to take a bit less than 1 msec to convey a message to the KPA. Realistically - the delay between button click and action in the KPA is more likely to be more than double that so, for accurate timing, it seems far from ideal. Even 100 Mbit ethernet is of the order of1000 times faster.