Posts by Crogdor

I've been trying to get into recording, but my current workflow on PC is a big detractor. My rig is not near my PC, so I need to move everything to my office, and dealing with my USB audio interface and ASIO4ALL has been quite a negative experience. I just want to hit record when inspiration strikes.

I've been looking at digital multitrack recorders. Once I've recorded something, I'm happy to import the results into my DAW for editing. Thing is, I'm not sure a multitrack recorder can do what I want. I was hoping someone might be able to point me at a recommendation for something that can let me do the following (or alternatively point me at better solutions for a smooth recording workflow):

1. Load up a collection of backing tracks and play them in the background.
    2. Play a metronome or drum loop for when I'm not using a backing track.
    3. Re-record a section of a track (for when I mess up) by scrubbing to the appropriate location, and then have a count-in to record over top of it. It would be best if it kept track of bars/beats instead of minutes/seconds based on a tempo/time signature I choose.
    4. Record multiple takes of a section (specific number of bars), review and choose the final take I want to keep.
    5. Record both a dry and wet signal, and be able to re-amp the wet signal through the Kemper. (It's not the end of the world if it can't send out the dry signal for re-amping, since I can do this in the DAW, just that it would be nice to have.)

Just for clarification, when you said simultaneously, I assume you didn't mean using the ALTERNATIVE input to simultaneously act as a guitar input and a sound card input. Because it's just one jack.

Acting on that assumption, yes you can connect your guitar by using the FRONT input and your sound card by using the ALTERNATIVE input, and you will hear audio from both at the same time. You can use both ALTERNATIVE input and RETURN input at the same time for stereo input if you want. To hear the ALTERNATIVE/RETURN inputs, you would need to turn up monitoring for them in the OUTPUT screen on the Kemper, which will send the audio on these inputs to the Kemper's outputs.

If the device you're connecting uses a stereo jack instead of left/right jacks, you may need an adapter cable like this: 1/4in TRS Male to two 1/4in TS Male

You can also use the INPUT menu to specify which input is the guitar input, and switch it to the ALTERNATIVE or RETURN input if you want, but this limits your ability to use these auxiliary inputs for anything else.

For your second question, yes the Kemper can route back to your sound card. Just run a cable either from the MAIN outputs or the MONITOR output to the line in on your sound card.

P.S. Aside from the MIDI and S/PDIF jacks, all jacks on the Kemper are 6.35mm (1/4in) with the option of XLR for some of them.

Ok second solution because I'm a dumbass. The option in OUTPUT only caused the raw input to be sent through the MONITOR OUT. The option I wanted was in the INPUT menu, where you can configure which input is used. I hate having to admit my stupidity but I don't want someone else reading my first two posts and getting totally confused. :)

Ok I solved it myself by accident.

The OUTPUT section has an option called 'Aux In >Headphone'. Turning it up fixes my problem. The confusion here is that I'm using the monitor output, not headphones. I guess it makes sense for them to be linked together since it would be the same audio, but I feel I would've found the option sooner if maybe it were called 'Aux In >Monitor'.

Hello,

My shiny new Kemper just arrived! I have a newbie question about the inputs on the back that I couldn't figure out from the manual.

I'm trying to connect the output of my PC audio interface to the ALTERNATIVE INPUT on the back of the Kemper so that I can re-amp a dry channel by sending it back through the amp. Right now it only works when I connect the audio interface output to the *front* input of the Kemper. It's not the end of the world, just would be a lot cleaner to have the wires all in the back. Is there some kind of option I need to change in the interface menus to enable this rear port? I also tried using RETURN INPUT but that didn't work either.

Thanks!

Dave