Posts by Carp

If you're not already, try using the bridge pickup--that usually helps.

In regards to technique it's kind of hard to describe, after tapping try to pull off slightly towards the floor instead of straight away from the fretboard. This almost has the effect of picking the second (pulled-off) note and gives you a bit more clarity. That way you're not depending on gain as much. If you can get all the notes to sound without max gain, you don't have to deal with as many noise problems.

Similar to the morph discussion, something that would be very useful to me in an editor is an easy way to view every parameter that is locked. I spent half of rehearsal last night pushing buttons trying to figure out why things weren't sounding right. Locked functions seem to be one the most common reasons for this but it can be a challenge to remember/find exactly what you locked.

Hey deadpan, my profiles don't sound as good as Frank's--I want my money back!

Seriously, this thread doesn't have as much action as some of the others but I'm loving this amp. Great tones and much more versatile than I expected.

And thanks for the latest update--I saw Metallica a couple of weeks ago and have been playing their stuff a lot lately. The new profiles nail the Ride the Lightning sound.

Sometimes if your noise gate is set too high it can cause problems like this with legato phrases. Try turning it down a bit and see if that helps.

Easily done! I switch from FRFR to using a cab and always hear this when I forget when I leave the cab sim off!

Have you plugged into your KPA, got no sound, played with all settings, panicked, only to realise you've plugged into the headphone socket ? I have...

Yes, more than once. . .

Seeing The Doobie Brothers live a few times has changed my philosophy a bit. I've covered China Grove and Long Train Runnin' for years and always tried to get the sound exactly right. (old Fender, Marshall, etc.) But now, Tom Johnston plays PRS guitars and amps. The Archon isn't even in the same ballpark as an old Bassman but it sounds awesome and the audience loves it.

There are probably 100 other similar examples out there and even more where a guitarist's live rig is completely different from what they used in the studio. So now, unless I'm covering Van Halen, Boston, etc., I just pick something that sounds good to me. As far as I know, The Gin Blossoms never used a Dumble but now I know it would have sounded great if they did.

My only concern was that people keep telling me that it's mostly good for profiling your own rig to carry around instead of your amps. It seems like it offers more than that, but I just don't have one that I can borrow anymore, so I'm going to have to go on your advice.

I've been using a Kemper exclusively for more than 3 years and never profiled an amp--even though it's sitting next to a 5150 right now. There are so many great free and commercial rigs out there that I've never felt the need to profile my own.

An approach that works great for me when I don't know the songs I'm going to be playing is building "generic" performances based on the amp that was profiled. For example, I have a 5150 performance with several rigs from clean to heavy and a lead rig that has a boost and usually some delay, etc. I always follow the same convention where clean is slot 1 and lead is 5. This way if a song comes up that fits the 5150 sound I can select that performance and instantly have all the sounds I need for the song without having to think about it.

Add a couple of Marshall performances, some Fenders and whatever other amps you prefer and you can handle any song that comes up.