Posts by mf

After i typed "pandora korg" i could see someone would use it's lack of knobs and small screen as an argument. The thing is, there are lots and lots of other pedals, multieffects units and recording interfaces that have all the controls physically on the unit but still have a dedicated editor (and for a ridiculously cheap price). Zoom, Digitech, Line6, all have offerings with knobs and good screens and also a pc editor. One does not negate the other, and as you say, different strokes for different people.

Not that i'm saying that i don't like my kemper (i have one and use it daily), but i can only see the lack of an editor as an extremely cheap move to cut costs (it's a 2000usd unit and they couldn't spend resources in making a simple editing software?), or just the company being stubborn, which in turn takes away sales. As i mentioned before, i know some people that would go another route due to the lack of editing software.

Something that i have not seen being mentioned is one of the main reasons why i'd want an editor too. Call me cheap and paranoid, but manipulating the knobs and buttons on the kemper will eventually wear it down, specially if you are a constant tweaker. I'm not too fond of having to service the unit myself and sending it back would suck (overseas). Other than that, having options is never a bad thing (as in, why not both?).

I also want to clarify that i'm not wanting to start a riot or fight and none of this is written as an attack. It's just that i find a bit dumb that there are so many other units (both cheaper and more expensive) that do have an editor, and the fact that i love the KPA makes it a bit more sad that it's limited in that way, and i do believe most people that complain about wanting that software are in a similar position (loving the unit, hating the lack of editor).

Have to agree with the editor thing. Even my old korg pandora has a simple editor program and that thing was outdated and cheap even at the moment of release (i still love it for quick practices tho, it was released like a million years ago? lol). KPA having a software based editor is a no brainer. When you can buy a 50bucks pedal and it comes with a dedicated interface and the KPA doesn't... you kinda figure out something is missing :D

I still love my toaster tho, but i'd definitely love it more with an editor... hell, i even know people (and previous posts mention this too) that would get an axe instead, just for the editor thing.

I've had a couple of lock ups too. I can remember one when trying to import from a usb stick (that works fine), waited for 15 minutes and got bored and switched it off (and it took a while to switch off, wouldn't go into tuner, etc).

Also had problems with rig manager not being able to send the preview signal to the kpa, as in i would choose a profile to preview, it would show as loaded on rig manager, but it would make no change on the kpa (and yes, i had usb connected, haha).

Other than that i've had some trouble with the tuner not showing the notes at times (the "needle" moves but no notes are displayed just a _ sign).... so yeah, i have to agree that there are problems with the firmware. Hope they get solved in time.

That's funny...again here's an excerpt of his conclusion

"So, at this point unless I hear that the AX8 won’t be out for two years or something, I’ll probably wait for that to release. If it is going to be a while before it comes out, then I’ll probably go with the Axe-Fx, simply based on the effects capabilities."

My bad! i wasn't aware that the AX8 was a full axefx pedalboard (when i glanced at it some weeks ago i assumed it was just the fx blocks of the axe in pedalboard form factor)... then yup, i see your point and stand corrected :)

Still dont get, why one needs effects, if they have an accurate amp ;)

(dont take this too serious...)

+1. I do have a kemper instead of an axe haha.

Well according to mbrown3 latest post he hasn't made a decision at all ;)

Really? it was pretty clear to me that he decided to get a kemper and an axe8 if they don't set a way too distant release date. Otherwise he's going to get the axe 2 (or at least that's what i got from reading his conclusion). Nothing wrong about that, and he's saying exactly what everyone seems to know for a fact: if you need effects? axe, if you want more accurate tone with a bit more responsiveness? kemper.

(Not that i care to defend him tho, but his decision was pretty clear to me :D)

Just tried these on both a les paul and a strat/type guitar and i must say, i really liked them. For some reason i liked the clean profiles more on the les paul and the gainy ones on the strat, but i'm assuming that it's because i do like brighter guitar sounds overall. I might be wrong but i do think the jubilee is darker/moodier than most marshalls so it makes sense. Top work tho, will get more profiles from TJ in the future (i'm pretty much broke now :D).

Not that i should ask this here but, i did find that the hall reverb that is set on default on the profiles takes away from the overall brightness of them, is that normal? never noticed it before. Might be some ear fatigue on my side tho.

Always fun when there is a new TopJimi Marshall profile!
    Will pick this one up for sure!

If you ever come across one, a JVM410HJS would be appreciated!

Many thx!

I second that, i'd love to see a regular JVM410H done by TJ too. Can't wait to get paid to get the AFD and silver jubilee!

Just wanted to say something similar to what meambobbo said, i read the whole at FAS some days ago and people there were pointing out he was biased towards the kemper and was just creating controversy or trying to pull a troll/publicity stunt (which is the same people commented here, but in reverse, lol). My guess he's trying to be objective with both units but not in a "clear for everyone" way.

As for using the kemper with headphones, open headphones go a long way. I use some pioneer A1000 (got them on sale when they got discontinued) and i don't need the headphone air setting at all to get great "spaced" sound. They don't bleed that much either (i've even recorded vocals with them) if you use them at reasonable volumes, and i'm guessing this should be true of most open headphones.

Now, closed headphones? hate them almost for everything :D

It's fun because i just read this whole thread and the whole thread at FAS forums (yeah, i have free time, lol) and two things struck me. 1) the folks over here seem to have a more open mentality 2) people seem to really stuck on small details such as shipping over the FAS forums haha.

Other than that, i can't say much than what was already been said about the whole KPA vs Axe debate, but wanted to add something that happened to me recently. I love my KPA (not a long time user tho, have it from a couple of weeks), and i have an ex band mate that owns an axe 2. We did some comparison (got together to jam) and we both agreed that if we don't rely heavily on effects, it's more of a personal preference which one we'd like best (axe has an edge there).

That was until i connected another guitar into my KPA. I usually use an esp horizon 2 (sd pickups) and i'm pretty happy with the sound i have with the kemper, but i plugged in a les paul "clone" (an edwards lp, also with sd pickups) and oh boy. What a ride, i couldn't choose a better sound for myself. All of this using the same jvm401 profile i use with the esp. What i gathered from that is the main difference which can be either a pro or con for both: I could dial in an awesome tone for both the horizon 2 and edwards with the axe (same profile, some tweaking), but with the kpa? i got a better tone using a different profile (same amp, different profile) for each guitar. After hearing the les paul no amount of tweaking made me completely happy with the same profile on both guitars on the kpa.

Whichever you like the most is your personal preference (profile vs tone matching), and my friends and my opinion didn't change either (both amazing units), but it's something to consider. I still like the kpa "feel" a bit more, but it might just be that i'm getting used it. Also, i had a pod hd before it and ... oh boy, do i hate tweaking settings constantly, lol.

Hey all, I don't usually post just to aplaude a company but the Kemper is really amazing, like so many have said it is. I have been through countless numbers of amps and even a couple axe fx's, while they sounded outstanding, I was always looking for something else. When I first got the powerhead I plugged in and was a bit disappointed with its lack of realism. Then I updated the firmware and that immediately helped. I later purchased a few profiles and that took it over the top. It feels like a real amp and sounds amazing. The amount of versatility is amazing and I could not imagine getting tired of it. Glad to be here :thumbup:

Welcome, i also went through that process. I've only had the kemper for a couple days and i'd say the 1st day (and part of the 2nd) i regretted my purchase incredibly. But it got better little by little (by using other profiles and tweaking), up to the point where now i love the thing (just a few days later). Hope you find the sound you are looking for!

The problem would be that you can only use one input at a time - SPDIF or main guitar input. If you use the SPDIF, you won't be able to play alongside. It'll also route the SPDIF signal through your guitar FX chain, unless some tweaks were made.

That's what i was referring to, being able to use spdif as an input at the same time than the regular guitar input (as in just behaving like the aux input). But i didn't thought about what JeffTD said, if the spdif signal is sent already decoded into the kemper (by my audio card) then it would make no difference vs the aux input quality (at least that's my guess). I'll just take down this request and settle on using an interface as mixer (to feed it hq audio plus the kemper signal) :)

Wish the darn thing would just work as an interface tho haha.

Yeah, i figured that much (about the different gain stages and modes). I haven't tried many of them (mostly the ones that are on rig exchange) since i've been playing more than tweaking, but the ones that stuck with me so far are Deadlight Studio's OD1REDSM57, and one of Chris O profiles (renamed it so i don't remember which one). Both are high gain, but are the only ones i liked at first bat (with almost 0 tweaking). I'd rather be using clean ones with od (so the transposer doesn't distort so much, love that thing and have used it a lot) so most likely i'll look for some later.

And honestly, i just love my profiling toaster a bit more everyday :D

I think you're mistaken on what SPDIF is as a format - SPDIF is a digital interface; it doesn't process audio at all. It's a strictly digital signal, despite having an RCA style jack. Can you explain what you mean by "SPDIF input offers better audio quality"?

Now that i think about it you might be right. My idea was to connect my audio card spdif out to the kemper and feed it audio (either from my daw or an audio player software), but if the kemper gets the already processed audio signal it should sound about on par with rca... not sure about this one, if you can confirm this would indeed get worse or equal sound quality i'll take it down, thanks!

Hey,
    This post is for people on the fence while shopping. I decided to get the Kemper Power Rack to replace my JVM410H and my huge foot pedal collection with GLab looper controller.
    The sounds are as good as any amp I have played and the volume knob rolloff is legit.
    The Profiles sound good with zero tweaking and the focus is on the amp tone not special fx.
    It is lightweight and consolidated. I can record with the same tones that I jam with. No tubes to pamper.

what are your favorite reasons ?

You own a JVM410H? have you tried profiles based on that unit? i'm looking for one but if you have any input on which is the most accurate i'd apreciate it.

To answer the question, i mainly got the KPA because i was tired of tweaking lesser mfx units (i mostly play in my bedroom with headphones) and wanted something that sounded like a real amp but without the huge space problem. Some might say it's overkill but it's perfect for that purpose (since it's compact and you can use different profiles). The quality you get when recording is another plus. Just one amp of this quality would have cost about the same, so i figured it was my best choice.

I agree that it would be nice. A selectable mode option would be enough, because having it the way it is is for recording purposes (and it'd be a pretty big loss if they'd replace it), but for those of us who play with tracks spdif has way better audio quality than aux input.