Posts by EcoRI

Is this with all distorted profiles or only with specific ones?

I'd suggest to see if this happens with the high-gain factory profiles as well. If that is not the case, it's the profile you are using. Concerning the output clipping: Check amplifier volume (3rd page of the amp settings), Cab volume, Rig volume (the volume next to the EQ dials) and all of your effects (e.g. EQs, boosters, etc. Everything that has its own volume parameter).

In case that does not help either, try recording a DI track and a wet track using a high gain factory profile, and post it here. This way we can double check the sound on our units to exclude any hardware problems.

Just so you don't get your hopes up, kemper has stated pretty clearly that they won't provide interface functions.

I would get a $200 interface with spdif as an addition to your existing one instead of waiting if I were you :)

Could you elaborate a bit and what exactly you're doing?

Do you use the Kemper purely for fx (would be my guess since you mentioned 4cm)
    Do you use any Kemper profiles? Did you have cab enabled on those?

Very few details on your side to actually make something of this. But I'm not sure if trouble shooting is what you're going for since you already sold the amp?

This video explains spdif reamping with focusrite devices quite nicely.

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Let's see if that gets you out if the feedback loop.

For metal tones, I'm using the (commercial) Darkglass profiles from theblackstymphalian.
    Obviously, the driven tones are not what you are after, but I usually track an overdriven bass tone and then just set the gain of the profile to zero, add some compression to the profile and record this clean tone again for the chunk.

It's always hard to understand what you are getting and what you want without any samples.
    Maybe you could provide us with the Kemper bass tracks you weren't satisfied with and also upload the tracks you did DI w/ compressor so we can hear what you are shooting for.

Hi, with the new FW - I have a feeling that Kemper boosts the low freq? What do you think? Last MW profiles also have a lot of low freq. IMO
    My Comparison Mesa SIngle vs Torpedo vs Kemper.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Stay Metal!

I'll agree with Deadlight. There is a little bit more low end to the Kemper sound, but the difference between Amp/Kemper is quite insignificant IMO (especially compared to Amp/Torpedo). I guess this comparison was done without any EQ changes on the Kemper? I know this thread is about A/B comparisons, but I guess you could dial out the additional low end by reducing the bass just a little bit. Other than that, the Kemper profile seems to be spot on...

Edit:Just did a quick random A/B test of the mixes. I wasn't able to distinguish between Amp and Kemper mixes. (Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 -> Shure SRH840)

The JBL Lsr305 have been received quite well. It's hard to find any bad reviews about them and they are only 300 a pair. Huge plus is that they have a pretty large sweet spot due to their tweeter design.

The equator d5 are also in your price range, but I went with the JBLs due to the sweet spot issues. I want to be able to move my head around while playing without the sound changing too much.

I don't have a reference but I am very happy with the JBLs so far. Only negative thing is that they have a little bit of background noise (only audible when your room is quiet). From what I've read, this is quite common, so if that is a no-no for you, you probably shouldn't consider them.

Edit: The JBLs are rear ported! So they should be placed 15-20 cm from a wall. This of course is true for all rear ported speakers. Just something to consider if your desk is near a wall.

Oh my bad on that last part. Couldn't find a way to change the Volume setting on the pedal from within the KPA either. I guess you really need a pedal attached to do that.

Concerning your SoundCard: I'd say, get a dedicated interface - that will probably help a lot in the future (e.g. latency while recording). There are a lot of options in the 200€ range, in case you'd be willing to invest that.

Nonetheless, the asus webpage states:

Digital S/PDIF Input:
    Coaxial and High-bandwidth Optical Combo Connector Supports 192KHz/24bit (Shared with Line/Mic In)

To me, that sounds like some kind of port which accepts both coaxial and optical connectors. So maybe have another look at it and see if you cannot just connect the KPA to your card with a normal coaxial cable via spdif.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

How do you get your signal from the Kemper into the DAW, i.e. which interface sits between these two?

Usually you should be able to adjust the input gain on your interface, so you don't get a hot signal....

Edit: Just quickly read through the analog output section in the KPA manual (I'm purely using spdif, so I have no hands-on experience here):

Git+Processing (Not available for S/PDIF OUTPUT).
    Similar to “Git Analog” but AD conversion is taking place. This puts the noise gate from the Input Section and the Volume Pedal in the signal path (if Volume Pedal is set to “Pre Stomps”)

So you should also be able send send the Git+Processing and use a pre stomps volume pedal to attenuate the signal, if I understand correctly