Posts by LH

Exactly this!!!

+1 on an Editor!

I would really like to organize performances and rigs, tweak my rigs, change settings, and so on with my pc.
    It is like b_ryan stated, you have a better overview and faster access to a lot of features on a big computer screen.
    And i personally think it is more comfortable to keep your hand on the mouse and klick on the buttons on a screen as to move your hand over a vertical frontplate. You don't have to reach into your field of view when editing with mouse and keyboard.

But as someone stated in another thread, you can now connect a usb-keyboard (even wireless) directly to your kemper and edit the tags of your rigs.
    Also the new rig manager is capable of organizing performances.
    We're getting closer and closer, guys :thumbup::thumbup:

Regards,
    LH

This is awesome!
    Hopefully we will be able to scroll through rigs and performances with a keyboard in the future.
    And maybe the next thing will be mouse-support with a cursor on the screen!! :thumbup:

Regards,
    LH

Thanks for the great responses!
    Do you have any more ideas for possible functions?
    Maybe we can make a list for the kemper team :P:whistling:

Regards,
    LH

Hi,

i don't know how the Kemper Remote handles it, but when you tap the footswitch (Behringer U4K) of the already active Performance-Slot, nothing happens.
    I thought, that this could be used, so that you get more functions with the same number of footswitches.
    I have to admit that i got the idea from seeing something like this in a video about the MFC-101 by Fractal Audio, but that should not make it less convenient :P
    Here are some ideas to what can happen, if you tap on the footswitch of the already active Performance-Slot (e.g. Slot 1 is active and you hit FS 1 again).

1. It activates the Tuner.
    -> It may be distracting, that the tuner would be on different FS throughout the gig, but this way you would save the dedicated Tuner-FS and use it for something else (Like a Stomp).
    2. Activate a 'Default Rig'
    -> This would activated ONE previously selected rig. So no matter where you 'double tap' the FS it always loads this one rig. This could be used as a solo rig or something like a emergency rig when you mixed up your performances and just very quickly need a rig that fits most situations.
    3. Activate a global Boost
    -> Many People have asked for a global Boost function to make Solos louder. This could be activated by simply pressing the FS of the active Slot.

Those are just some ideas. I don't necessarily NEED one of those, but it might be a thing to consider. Especially, when you run out of FS on your Remote, FCB1010 or other Midi-Footcontroller.

What do you think? Would this be impractical? Do you have ideas for other functions that could be activated/switched by this?

Regards,
    LH

That way, if you tweek in browse, and want to update all the performance slots with the rewrite, you have the option?

Actually, i would think that this would not be ideal, as you would loose your "original"-profile for that sound.
    When you find a profile you like, you load it in your performance and start editing it there, but the "original"-profile in the Browse pool will stay the same.
    That way you can always go back to the original one and just tweak your sounds in the performance mode.
    Or did i get you wrong here?

Regards,
    LH

Hi Beano,

1. That's correct. From Kemper (Main Out, Monitor Out or Direct Out) to Poweramp and then to Cab.
    2. I often use my Kemper Powerhead into a custom made 1x12 with a Celestion Vintage 30 Speaker (60 Watt at 16 Ohm). So the internal Poweramp runs at 300 Watt max. Obviously the Poweramp is way too loud to crank it all the way, so i don't think i will ever have problems with blowing up my speaker when used at 'normal' rehearsal- and gig-volumes (I'm using the cab just for monitor purposes. The audience gets the FOH-Sound). With 20 Watt i would be more careful. You can't link the displayed master-value in the Kemper or your external Poweramp to a specific wattage. So you won't be able to say "Master Volume on 9 o'clock equals 20 watt". What i know is, that you can only be careful and listen to the speaker to hear if it gets distorted and is driven to hard. I think it would be fine for home-use, but you would likely get problems when competing with a loud drummer.

Regards,
    LH

Yes, I'm aware of the copy/paste function and i use it for exactly this purpose (to keep my amps and some stomps in all performances identical).
    You can call me lazy, but for me it would be cool to just know, that when i change one parameter, it changes in the other performances, that use this amp (or stomp), too. :D
    When i'm playing live and i notice that i need to increase the gain on one amp, i can adjust this in the profile i'm currently in and hit the save button. But i have no time to copy/paste this amp in every other performance that uses this amp.
    I know that i could be prepared better when going to a gig, so that i don't have to make changes anymore. But sometimes i just need to adjust something on the fly (which is one reason, why i bought a kemper and not an axe-fx by the way).

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to say, that this is a flaw. It would just make this nice piece of gear even better (for me)!

Regards,
    LH

I'm glad i could help. :thumbup:
    What do mean with different signal?
    I don't see, why the cab merger would not work with the kemper, but i have no personal experience with this device.
    Maybe someone with more knowledge about the technical aspects could chime in? :)

Regards,
    LH

The internal Poweramp of the Kemper does only work in mono.
    If you want to connect two guitar cabs to the speaker output (red one) you will need a device like this:
    http://www.palmer-germany.com/…-Cabinet-Merger-PCABM.htm

If you want to use your two Marshall cabs in stereo, you would need an external Poweramp with two channels. Then you can connect the Main Outs of the Kemper to the two channels and hook up the first cab to channel 1 (left) and the second to channel 2 (right).

Does that help you?

Regards,
    LH

Perhaps instead the Kemper could have a lock function? yes it already does but consider another way. Suppose you could lock the amp block, but separately for each slot in a performance? that way, if you had a crunch sound in say slot four of each performance, any tweaking you did to the amp block in slot four would be the same as you banked through performances. And then did the same thing for the other slots. (or other features such as what was in an effects slot.)

That would be great as well. I actually thought of this 'workaround', too.
    You would have to stick to your 5 sounds, but that would be totaly fine for me. If this Lock-Feature would be possible i would be really glad :thumbup:
    I don't really know how difficult it is to implement such a feature.

A better option is this: Instead of dialing in a particular amp in the amp block section, the ability to dial up a "Live amp one" perhaps the Kemper could allow a certain number of live amp numbers, such as live amp 1, live amp 2, live amp 3.... and so on. Then you can assign a certain amp with the designation of live amp 1. Then all your performance slots that use live amp 1 will reflect any changes that you make to the actual amp profile. So if you decide to bump up the mids on your "Marsh 800 BM" profile, if you give the Marsh 800 BM profile the designation of being "live amp 1", you can make the adjustment once. then if I'm in the amp blocks of a half dozen slots in different performances are set to "live amp 1" I can make adjustments to all of them by making the adjustment to one profile.

That is very similar to what i had in mind with the 'virtual amps' :)
    It would be the luxury-version, and i think much more complicated to do ?(
    But it would be very sweet to have that feature.
    I'm glad, that i am not the only one :thumbup:

Regards,
    LH

Well, Performance-Sharing would be cool, but that's not really what i had in mind.
    I already have a Performance where each of the slots represent a channel of one Amplifier.
    But i use some more Performances with the same amplifiers but with different effects for specific songs.
    Imagine it like this:
    Performance 1: Default (For normal songs)
    Performance 2: Specific for Song X
    Performance 3: Specific for Song Y
    and so on

all of them have the same Amplifiers/Channels (Slot 1= Clean, Slot 2 = Crunch and so on)
    The Problem: If i am at the rehearsal and notice that i need a bit more volume on my high-gain "channel" i have to go through every performance and change the volume of Slot 5 (High-Gain "channel").
    Now if this would be seen as a 'virtual amp' that is not bound to a performance or rig but global, then i just tweak the amp (the high-gain channel in this case) in any performance that i like. In this case i would not be tweaking the RIG but the 'virtual amp' that lays globally behind this whole performance-organization (like in the example of the midi-controlled multi-amp setup).
    This way my Kemper would become a representation of an analog rig which has many effects and is controlled via a midi-switching-system.

As a Multi-Amp setup it would look like this:
    Performance 1: Default (Blackmore)
    Performance 2: Specific for Song X (Blackmore)
    Performance 3: Specific for Song Y (Marshall)
    Performance 4: Specific for Song Z (Marshall)

So you have different Amps but if you tweak the clean channel in performance 1 it will also change the clean channel of performance 2 (because it has the same 'virtual amp')
    When you tweak the crunch channel in performance 4 it would also change the crunch channel of performance 3 (and every other performance that uses this Marshall amp)

I totally understand that this is just my personal opinion and that it does not make sense to change something like this when i am the only one who would like it.
    But i thought i might share my ideas if someone thinks the same way. And i just wanted to make sure you get my 'concept' right :)

Regards,
    LH

put a profile of each into the slots 1-4

This is actually the way i set up my kemper at the moment. And this would be the same when we had 'virtual amps'.
    The difference is the organization-system that lays behind that.

BTW. Was that the correct way to cite??

Regards,
    LH

The difference is simply in terms of organization and maybe tidiness.
    When i now go into the Amp-Setting of a Slot and search for a specific sound, then i have 'loose' profiles. There i have to search for the sound i want to have.
    With those 'virtual amps', i just have a few amps that i choose from, then i choose which channel i want to have. To me this feels more natural, as i normally would choose which amp i plug my guitar in and then which channel i want to play with.
    Also a 'channel' in this 'virtual amp' could just be a different setting of a single-channel amp. This way you have your different settings of one amp organized together and not in a big pool.
    I know, i could just delete all the profiles i don't use and just keep like 10 profiles, but those 'virtual amps' might as well be better to understand for people who are new to this digital world and make the step towards digital a lot easier.

The other (maybe the main point for me) would be the link-function where this 'virtual amp' behaves like a real amp. That would mean, that when you change a parameter in one rig, not only this rig will change, but the whole 'virtual amp' that lays behind this. So you don't tweak one rig at a time but you tweak your 'virtual amp' that is used in that rig.
    I liked the sound i got from my analog amp. I just wanted to have something more portable and loaded with every effect i might need. So basically i would like the amp-part of the kemper to just behave like a normal amp. Or better: Like a bunch of normal amps.
    This way, the whole structure of performances would work like a midi-controlled multi-amp setup where you have a midi controller that selects the active amp and effects. The Amps themself always remain in the last tweaked setting no matter what preset you're in.
    In other words: the Amps and the Presets (Rigs) are independet from each other. You just choose which of your 'virtual amps' should be active in that particular rig.

I don't want to say, that this is the ideal way, and those who use a lot of different profiles might not want to have this kind of organization, but i think it would make things a lot easier to understand for beginners.
    Does this make sense for you?
    Maybe i just like a tidy and organized system :D

Regards,
    LH

Hi there,

i really like the Kemper and the comfort you get when using it live instead of a heavy tube-amp.
    But i have to admit, that i still find the handling of rigs and profiles a bit too bulky.
    It's not that i am not able to do what i want to do. But i have the feeling, that it could be easier.
    Here's what i thought of to handle it more like a simple tube amp:

I would like to build a virtual amp inside my kemper.
    For example: I profile every of the four channels of my Engl Blackmore and combine or merge them to one Amp.
    So when i create a performance i do this:

1. Load this amp into the amp-slot
    2. Open the amp-menu
    3. Select which channel i would like to activate

In combination with that, it would be awesome to "link" this amp over multiple performances.
    So when you change the gain of channel 4 in one rig, every other rig that uses that amp will change too.

I personally think, that many guitarists (like my father) know how good digital equipment can sound today but don't buy those things simply because of the complex structure of rigs/presets etc.
    I don't want to say, that the user infterface of the Kemper is not designed well, because the amp-like layout of the controls was one reason for me to buy it.
    But for me (!) it would make using the kemper easier or faster.
    I hope you can understand what i try to say :) (i'm not a native speaker).

What do you think?

Regards,
    LH

I think that would be a great feature! (as an option)
    Like that you would not have to go through each performance slot and change that one parameter.
    I think it could work like a "link"-feature. So when you load an amp into a slot that is already part of another slot, you can choose to link it. Then all changes will be made in both slots.
    If you don't check the "link"-checkbox it won't change there.
    The same would be great for stompboxes and effects.
    I usually use the same boost in the x slot for solos. When i want to change the boost-level i have to go through each rig.
    I know, that i could lock the x-slot, but for clean rigs i want to have slightly less boost for example.

Regards,
    LH

It would also be cool to couple this with the tap tempo and beat scanner, so the "heart rate" reflects the tempo of the song.
    If you exceed the maximum delay time, the patient is dead :D

Hi,

I also had some profiles that I liked and tried to find the best profile for each sound. I noticed quite fast that this is maybe not the best approach. The profiles sounded to different and to me. it didn't feel good to switch between a Marshall sound in the verse and a rectifier in the chorus.
    That may be a very subjective view, but I think a gig should have a consistent sound. Otherwise it gets confusing and you can't deliver YOUR unique sound.

So I chose one amp for clean and one for distorted sounds. Then I saved the distorted amp with different gain settings. Now I have a consistent sound in some variations. To me this feels more like using a real amp.
    (I even play in a coverband and don't think every song needs a different amp to match the recording).
    This, of course, is just my personal opinion :)

Regards,
    LH