Posts by Frodebro

My first reaction to my Kemper was about the same. I was excited that I had something new and cool to play with, but the sounds I was getting out of it weren't exciting me at all. It took a couple of weeks of really digging into it and learning how the different parameters worked before I started getting closer to what I wanted, and then it was just a matter of finding the profiles that were in the ballpark and then fine-tuning them to suit my own taste. But the real "a-ha!" moment came after I started profiling my own amps, that's when everything clicked and I finally understood why so many people were so excited about this unit.

It's a pretty mellow place, really. A few people get pretty "enthusiastic" about things, but mostly it's laid back and polite, with just enough humor to keep it interesting.

The Rig Exchange is a funny thing. Your first temptation will be to start at the top and start previewing EVERYTHING. Eventually you'll get tired of it, and you'll learn to be more selective about what you preview. Some of the profiles are REALLY good, most are decent to average, and some are pretty bad.

If anyone has heard or tried the guido's profiles of the Bognar XTC, and they realize that anyone can have the awesome sounds of Bognar XTC for less than 5$ if they own a Kemper, it quickly becomes a bit or really hard to swallow

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Here's another thought: How many people who have loaded Bogner profiles (free or commercial) would have actually purchased a Bogner to begin with? They're a small company catering to a niche market, as is the Kemper-but they're actually not competing in the same market at all. Tube amp purists are not going to buy any digital solutions (KPA, Fractal, Line6, or any of the others) anyway, so that market is about as secure as it's ever going to be as far as having a relatively loyal customer base.

If he REALLY wants to point fingers at who has put the biggest obstacle in the longevity of tube amps, he should be looking at the militaries of the western/NATO countries. They were the biggest customers for tube manufacturers, and when they went solid state in the eighties the demand for tube production dropped so significantly that it actually ceased. That's why the only nations still producing vacuum tubes are China and Russia-they're the only ones still using them. Once they catch up with the technology of the late 20th century the supply of new tubes will disappear completely.

Yes, a parametric EQ with high and low shelving in the stack area would be a handy feature, I use the X slot almost exclusively for the Studio Equalizer. I don't typically run many effects beyond delay and reverb (with modulation occasionally) so using the X slot isn't a real problem for me, but because I use the EQ a lot it would be pretty convenient to have it already available in the amp stack all the time.

Many here are not native English speakers, so sometimes posts can sound differently than intended. Even if somebody really is grumpy, I just assume that they're not and it just sounds that way in translation. Makes it easier to think happy thoughts. :D

Thanks for the reply, Frodebro, although some of that is a little over my head, as I'm not the most savvy of people when it comes to music tech, and midi etc. I've currently got one H9 in the loop, performing mainly reverb/delay duties and receiving preset changes from the KPA. I was contemplating putting the other H9 before the KPA mainly to perform modulation fx for flanger, chorus, phaser etc, and having both units midi controlled by the KPA for preset changes. I'm using the Kemper Remote.

It's all just preset changes, exactly like you're doing with yours, except I'm sending three different PC commands on three different MIDI channels to the three different units. I have a handful of presets that I use for a lot of things in the H9s, so instead of copying them to each preset slot to correspond with the different presets in the Kemper I simply program my MIDI controller to point each H9 to the preset that I want.

Hi Frodebro. Could you please tell me how you have got your H9's routed please? I've currently got one H9 in the loop, and have just bought a 2nd, but am scratching my head a bit when it comes to hooking up the 2nd unit.

Cheers
    Andy :)

I'm just running them in series-mono send from the KPA into the first one, stereo out into the second one, and back into the stereo returns on the KPA. I have them assigned to separate MIDI channels, though (KPA is MIDI channel 1, H9#1 is channel 2, and H9#2 is channel 3). I'm using a Ground Control Pro MIDI controller, and have it configured to send individual PC #s to each unit. This way I don't have to build presets in the H9s for each preset in the Kemper. For example, spring reverb in H9#2 is on preset 1 in that unit. So any presets that I want a spring reverb on I configure the GCP to call up PC#1 on MIDI channel 3.

I made some experimental direct profiles of a couple of my Mesa/Boogies, and using my KPA powered rack into a 4x12 there was no shortage of punch.

As usual, the strongest opponent to new ways, features, habits... is the lack of fantasy. Some famous statements coming to mind:

"I can't see what a private person would do with a computer" (IBM CEO)
    "What are people supposed to do with this... telephone of yours?!" (to Meucci)
    "Guys, this is not your trade...go to work" (to the Beatles)

Rings a... Bell? :D

"Free your mind and your ass will follow." -George S. Clinton

Excuse me boss but i m not agree with you:

We use the kemper because it s a réal "picture " of the sound (99,9% the same) BUT if you change a parameter, it s the kemper who changes the sound to obtain something different. But the kemper cannot imitate the behaviour of an amp. So we are coming from a 99,9% real sound to an artifical sound (try a clean mesa recto, change the gain from 1 to 10 and the new sound isn't the same that a rig of a mesa with a big gain...)

Morphing is cool if it works with 2 différents rigs, not with one rig.

I honestly don't care if a profile is exactly like the "real thing" throughout the range of the gain and tone controls, all that matters to me is if I can get good sounds out of it.