Posts by Nikos

You should not call someone a "beginner" if this person is a professional musician since the age of 17.To all other stuff you said I will not answer because it is obvious you´re out for provocations.

btw..did you ever earn a dime with music dear @Nemo;

With all due respect to Armin..

The correct title of this thread should be "dont sell your tube amp..keep them and use them for profiling-training".. ^^

After all the "hairsplitting"-threads about "how close" the KPA do sound to tube amps it is obvious that we are just at the beginning of an journey.Or to say it in a different way:

BEFORE the Kemper there was a time when recording tube amps was done first only by pros with pro-gear in a pro-studio.And nobody "back then" did care about "how close" the recorded tube amp did sound to the "amp in the room"..all that did count was "how great" the result of the recorded tube amp was..

TODAY with the Kemper everyone has become "an expert" having "an opinion" on "how close" xyz sounds to xyz..

If anyone is interested he should go back to the first years of internet.And the discussions in many music/gear-blogs about people who claimed they could "hear the difference" between different batteries used in their "vintage stomp boxes"..you think I am kidding;

Do the google..

So..dont sell your tube amp you have since years.Use them to "train" your profiling-skills.Getting "closer & closer" to the "original" whatever this means for a microphone in front of a guitar cab..

And one last thing..

For those who will tell me now it is "not only about studio profiles but also about direct" I will answer with a question;How many legend records in rocknroll history have been made with "direct recording" using the "line-out" of an SLO100 or a vintage marshall/fender/vox(what line out btw..) etc;

;)

Synthi-Sounds Kemper I:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Every lead is Kemper. What's the problem folks? 8o;)

Sounds great dear friend..

Like @paults already said I look indeed for "something" that "sculptures" stringed instruments in an accurate way.For example a sitar or a violin.

I now ofcourse that the profiler cant profile instruments,pedals & fx but there are some usable nylon-guitars in the RE.I gues this has been profiled through other modelers;

I believe that it is possible to "emulate" the sound/behaviour of acoustic string instruments..it must be a lots of R&D and a ton of work since you need dozens of high quality instruments,guys who know how to play them while they have also some engineering background or at least can give enough "input" for the developers to create..the programming must be a lots of work.I guess there would be also some little IR-measurement in play but the modelling/sculptering surely would need a lots of work to emulate the interaction of what happens exactly within an acoustic instrument.Enough for a whole team of developers.

A lot of musicians are waiting for this technology so..someone will do it sooner or later.I hope Kemper finds a way first..I hope this not only for reasons of "sympathy" but most of all I believe that these guys are the most capable to do it some day.After all @CK started with his world class Access Virus and came later to guitars.Fractal and L6 can only dream about this know how.. :/

Fractal will "not work on it at the moment" but maybe tomorrow they will continue.. ;)

Fact is they tried and they failed.I am sure Kemper can do this much much better.Anyway..it is not a question of life & death..just a future request when "all work is done" and the KPA-guys sitting around in some lounge hanging around with drinks & chicks and dont know what to do next.. :D

@Sharry

First of all..hello my friend..

I have tried all these roland stuff.Many of my friends playing the local ethno-stuff using all kinds of roland-midi thingis and some use even much more "sophisticated" laptop-vst-stuff..

I personally think this (no disrespect here) all is an utter disaster.The roland-stuff sounds cold,non-musical,and..I just dont like it.Even as all the tracking got "faster" and more accurate,no doubt about this.But I dont like it.Not to mention that I want my 2-3 "favorite guitars" to use for stuff which is this "playing from the heart"-thing..you know what I mean.A "cheaper" axe,sacrificied for this with all the drilling or "adding PUs" is not my way to go.

Actually I have read that Fractal is "on the way",they already delivered some very good violin-demos made by Dweezil Zappa...L6 has already some years ago started with their variaxes and special sitar etc presets (on their Vetta I think)..I thought back than that this would continue faster than it actually has because some of these sounds were really not bad.

Both companies dont have the experience Kemper has with synths.It would be a pitty if these two conpanies would manage to get into "new markets" (and believe me..there are new markets) for "alternative string instruments"-just using an acoustic or an electric going directly into the device and having as well rock sounds on your FC as well as some "weird" sounds-before Kemper does..

In my opinion the time is more than "ripe" to get into this.Till yet,whenever I tried "synthetical" instruments like a sitar sound or an oud there was also this "non-musical" behaviour(specially with roland) playing an empty drone-string while playing vertical lead stuff on the higher strings.These ethno-instruments have some special reaction to playing an empty bass string together with played higher strings.All these very musically and "reactive" overtones,harmonics,beautifull "interferences"-There is all the "sauce".and there is all the work which has to be done because untill yet it is not good.And who else could do this in a really musically way if not Kemper.Maybe a mix between modelling and profilling;I dont know but it should be now possible to get much closer to this than in the past..The new delays actually convinced me that the "next step" should be not that far away.

As for the "Kemper 2"..a new synth module sure would need much more CPU-fire power than what we have in the current KPA.This is how things go...τα παντα ρει ;)

A look into the future..since Kemper started with one of the most successfull Sythesizers out there..

A Kemper II "as we know it" with with the usual profiling-abilities plus all the cabs/fx adding a second,a "new module" for synth-sounds of all kinds..

This "synth-module" should be more "string-instruments-oriented" than anything else.Like classical string instruments(most of all violin-stuff ofcourse,classical/flamenco nylon-guitars would be nice),ethno-stuff from all over the "world music",moog-like "Jan Hammer"-leads etc...all sounds which can be "bend" and "vibrated".

Ofcourse it would be nice to have also some pianos,trumpets,saxophones and "big-atmo-spheres" but there are already a lot of Midi-stuff for that.But looking into the many requests for a nice "lead violin" ...or (in my case) ethno-thing like an Oud,Lute or Bouzouki or (there are so many requests for this) a nice "authentical" Sitar..there is nothing really meaningfull out there and personally I believe that there is a big market for this.

I appreciate the fun in this thread, but I'm kind of surprised with those making it seem that there's a real issue with the KPA getting close to the actual amp when the many successes every day of those who are getting near identical results, including yours trully, are too many to list. Just google and you will see real people like you and me getting damn near identical results!! ?(

Yes this is strange indeed.Or..not really... :D

I guess that this thread at least has helped to find out who of us has really "interest" into the issue and who has "other reasons" to ignore the fact that the KPA has already delivered great results,acknowledged by an army of professional musicians around the world.

I am also out of this thread.

Yup.

When a profile does not sound "good" or "the same as the amp" then why should it be automatically the fault of the KPA;I dont understand this;

More so since there ARE great profiles out there.So what did the guys with the "bad profiles" do so different from the guys who did great profiles;

Me thinks this should be the main issue..

Instead of this it is often "I made a profile and it is not good..what is wrong with the Kemper;"..or even worse (world class pros on "secret deals" with @CK)..

Obviously the KPA can do great things.The issue should be all about how to achieve these great things as often as possible.I always thought that this is so obvious that I would never have to type this stupid assumption but here we go.. ;)

@ColdFrixion

I would not even call it "user error"..IMO no need for that.I just would like to hear from some people that none of us is as experienced with the KPA as we should and will be for sure in the futrue.We still have a lot of work to do.Actually this is all I wanted to say..

you mean my direct profiles have a micing problem ? wtf :D
    but you're right if the drums and bass are mixed well the guitar will not matter that much

Where did I say that;

Besides all that I have some problem now to understand exactly what your issue is..at least I did admit that it is also my opinion that the profiler may have some serious problems or profiling fuzz-stuff.

What else do you like to hear;

What I said is that I dont see enough selfcriticism.And I stand by that.

ignoring and trivializing the limitations will just end up in unaccurate or simply unsatisfying sounds ...

Agreed.,,As will ignoring and trivializing limited understanding and experience of micing tube rigs.. ;)

Self criticism can be as usefull as blaming others for their shortcomings.And to be honest..I still fail to see this selfcriticism by some guys who "blame" the profiler while they dont ask themselves if it is MAYBE some failure or mistake on their abilities and understanding of the complexity o the issue.

The right mix will be the key to find better solutions.

@Dimi84

Keep on fighting... :D

I always like to post this link
    http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

..of a madman who discusses the "difficulties" of recording a tube rig.It is funny too but the essence is that this guy is able to explain things I could not allthough I "hear" them and have done tube rigs recording trying instinctively what he talks about "cabinet involvement/participation" "speaker excursion","best sounding speaker" etc,etc..

You need to read it in any case.

@Dimi84

I cant decide this.I would need to play the amp and the profile.You know what I mean;

We talk a lot about "difference" and "in the mix" and what ever but there are so many more parameters..

The question is only if the difference in the vid you made does change your way of playing and the result of how good the recording/song/songwriting process or what ever pans out in the end.

a)I played many profiles which have what @sinmix says..the "fingerprint" the wooden sound in some frequencies.In the lower mids or whatever..

b)But I also played profiles which are so amazing that I just cant believe it.I cant stop playing,I cant sttop creating..same with most guitar players which hear/try my KPA..

So which of both assesments is true;

I will tell you:Both!

Why;

I dont know..yet.. ;(

Lets find out.

Now that is the discussion I would like to continue..

@Dimi84

For me it is exactly the reason why the KPA is so different from any other modeler and the favorite of the pros..

If someone knows his stuff he will achieve a profile which keeps the "character of the rig".My client WILL recognize HIS sound he needs to be creative and to play the way he wants.He will get the exact reaction to his playing from his beloved tube rig.Will it be "slightly different"..maybe..but the "character",will be there.The KPA DOES react like the tube amp/cabinet which has been profiled corretcly/in a sufficient way.

I would claim that this is completely out of question,no;

Again..maybe the KPA may sound "slightly different" than many,many profiled amps BUT it still will sound as good as it needs to "get" the client playing his stuff without thinking "this is not my amp"..and this is all that counts.The KPA will feel,sound and play like the profiled amp ie its characteristics.

And this is the "magic" of the KPA.

@Dimi84

Are we "in (full) control" while micing our clients (or ours for that case..even if we "know our rigs") tube rigs;
    I mean in control by a degree that we always mic the tube amps as they sound "in the room";And even if we achieve this do the tube rigs always sound the same,every single day during a recording session;

Or is it more like micing them by our and the clients ears..sitting in the control room unless the "whoaa...yeah..lets keep it like this..." and the recording gets started;

I never had the feeling of being "in control" before my clients gave the OK..even if I liked my micing of my clients tube rigs one silent comment of the guitar player (mostly just more like a whisper.. ;) ) like "I am not sure about the way my amp sounds right now" was enough to make me very "unsecure" from time to time..and then the running between control and recording room seemed endless even if it took just a few minutes..and then the next day the same guitar player asks if I changed something because "it does not sound like yesterday" anymore..did this never happen to you;

What I mean is that there are so many parameters during a recording job of which are most "human factor" so of what kind of "control" do we speak here when it comes to micing tube rigs;

We give this question of doubt to the tube rigs.That they sound (very often) even completely different during every day of a recording job.That they sound even (if @CK put it very correctly) even different within an hour after the lunch break.

If it sounds good I dont care.If it is "rocknroll all the way" during a recording I dont care.Would it be great if the Kemper would sound ALWAYS exactly like the profiled rig;Yes sure.For many jobs this would be great.But it does not obviously.As the tube rigs do not sound always the same during a recording.So okay...lets try to find a way (together with the KPA-guys) to make this happen in the future.That would be nice.

Why do I have an impression that most users who participate in this thread are talking past each other..

I will try to post my "main issues" this thread COULD be about:

1.Do the KPA does sound exactly like the profiled amp;

2.What needs to be done to achieve this;

3.What are the limits of the KPA:

And my main issue..

4.Does the KPA does always sound slightly or much different than the profiled amp and does this affect the sound quality,the fun of playing or does the KPA does indeed sound in many occasions different but "still good" as a well miced tube amp;

Actually this^^,number 4 could be a very,very interesting topic..why;Because on most "legend recordings" the miced tube amp did not exactly sound like the ampintheroom but the producers,enigeers tried to "change" the sounds of the very few amps they had "back at the beginning of rocknroll" to "something very special"..they just did not have thousand different amp-developers.Marshall,Fender,HiWatt,Orange..even Mesa came much later.

Well..do guys like the most famous producers actually try to tell us exactly this;Does Sneap or Wagaener actually try to tell us that the KPA is a very,very professional tool that "can work out" miced tube amps as THEY NEED it;

I believe yes.Actually I think it is quite obvious.

And this is the reason these guys use the KPA (and not shitty L6 stuff or even better sounding AxeFX)..they need it as tool to make their tube amps sound the way they need it through micing,filtering,"blending" different tube amps into one sound.

It is sad that we have here (also in this thread) selfdeclared hybrids of Paul Gilbert & Tony Maserati (dont forget @SoniceExplorers ability to play faster than anyone else on this planet "detecting" latency on 356-quintuplets as well as his "40 years of recording experience") who never talked about these tricky little things you WILL do if you are indeed somehow at least a professional sound engineer not talking about to be a producer..

The KPA can do a lot.

Are there things it can not do;Ofcourse.But if someone talks ONLY about the things this little magic box CAN NOT do,claiming that world class pros are idiots or at least "on the paylist" of the smallest of all modelling developers..well then there should ring some bells I guess.

;)

What could have become a very interesting thread has been completely derailed by the usual suspects who (each of them for his own reasons) try to descredit a small company and its very famous users like Sneap & Waegener..

SonicExplorer

I am still waiting for proof for your hillarious claims.If you continue to claim (with no evidence at all) that the worlds best producers are on the "paylist" of Kemper I will claim that you are a troll on the paylist of L6.I got no proof.I just take your funny and completely hillarious claim and use it as circumstantial evidence(and yes you did say this Sir) that your L6-POD has a better latency than the KPA...and this despite your alleged "40 years of recording experience".

Enough said.

Couple general comments to catch up in the discussion....

- Producer/Engineers (PE's): Whether it's Sneap or MW or whomever, we need to understand that it's about business for both PE's and Kemper. We don't know the details but logically speaking the KPA makes life easier on PE's for everything from consistent signal over time to overdubs to getting good tones for lower-budget clients, etc. For Kemper, it can provide valuable marketing credentials. So the glue is probably and endorsement arrangement of sorts, formal or otherwise (loaners etc). So I would not put much behind which PE's use the KPA as some kind of rationalization WRT the problem we are discussing in this thread.

Do you have even the slightest proof for this discredtiting a whole company and some of the most famous,hard working producers on this planet;

What you are doing is the lowest form of product bashing and it has nothing to do at all with citicism.