Posts by Nikos

Good thread.Actually this issue is one of my biggest concern.I already ade the decision for not using any "modern ultra-bigh-gain"-amp for my live-gigs.Keeping it more in the traditional not so high compressed but more in the open sounding mid-freq I know all my live.

This needs a lot more expirience and then discussion.

Again, good thread.

@benefin

Seriously my friend.Haveyou ever thought about "the other side of the coin" which are the musicians like me;The main reason I bought the Kemper was because it sounded "best of all" ie digital modeling.The second reason because of the ability to profile my amps.

But there is also a third reason I prefered the Kemper and not the Axe Fx:The "politics" of the company.Keeping seriously complex and difficult issues as simple as possible.I must not worry to have "missed something" after being "off" for some weeks.

I am just a few weeks here in this forum.Still trying to learn,still trying to get used to this "new way of thinking".For me personally one major FW-upgrade every six months or even once a year is enough.Playing my guitar is far more important than studying new firmwares.I would even dare that this is the reason most of us here bought the KPA and not the Axe Fx.

I just looked up at maybe 10% of the free rigs in the exchange.And there definitly ARE! some nice profiles.

What surprised me most was that some "enthusiasts" made some kick ass profiles with out recording it in a studio but just at home.

For this i really dig one of @Fastredponycar"s profile of the splawn nitro.I would also like to give a big thank you to the Pros for their free stuff( like @TAF & @Sinmix)Thanks a lot guys!

There are some very good profiles of the Krankenstein but I have to
    Look again who made them.And while reading this thread I will try all profiles named here (like the AC 20)..so please keep them coming.

I will post this link here:

http://www.badmuckingfastard.com/sound/slipperman.html

For the simple reason that the "commercial profilers" know how to do it(hope so) and all of them do it in their own (professional) recording studio.This link with the "rules of recording electric guitar" is afaik a "new standard",posted in many blogs and the writer is a well known producer who owns a very well known recording studio in the east coast of the USA.

Who ever wants to make his own profiles but is not the super expirienced professional should read this.It is funny too.But more so very informative.Even if you cant do it exactly like "Slipperman" be sure that even if you follow only the most important rules your profiles will get better.Maybe one further step to improve the profiles in the "rig exchange". ;)

Welcome my friend.

At first I was a little disappointed with my guitars equipped with EMG’s (Steinberger, Schecters, LTD’s). It sounded OK but not fantastic and I always had to dial out presence (-1, -1.5)

Same "generation",same taste.Take a look into this thread;
    Tip #1 Select great profiles

The "wise guys" in this forum told me to use the "definition"-soft button in the amp section.This really helps.After some weeks owning the KPA it is a combination of the "definition",less presence and "power sagging" which leaves nothing else to wish for.Fantastic results even with many of the "non-professional" profiles.

The "learning curve" for the KPA is not as fast as I thought it would be in the beginning.Most of all for us "older guys" beyond the 40s.For real "tube feel" you will have to tweak a little bit.But the result justifies this effort.

No pease..

Just downloaded 3.0.2..works fine.I am still learning.Still checking,still so many things to find out about thise fine machine and so little time.

Imho we dont need every few months "new fancy stuff".The KPA is a machine for musicians making music and no "i am the fanciest nerd around to show you how to tweak it to make you an espresso"-toolkit.I honestly believe that this update-frenzy does no good.One reason why many musicians who bought "the other one" are turning their back on it and go for the KPA.Simply because it is still and most of all an amp/preamp and no freakin' computer.

@thanx paults

To be honest..I did not expect ofcourse to see some samples put into the KPA.I know ofcourse it is no synthi or sampler which can do that.But I was just curious to hear some more opinions on this issue.These VG-99 profiles are very interesting indeed.What kind of profiles is this stuff;And "how far" the KPA can go with such profiles with units like the VG-99;

Since I know the Kemper-.team started with great success in the "Syntheziser-buisness" long before the amp- profiler..is there any technical ability/possibility to "put" some ethno-style sounds into the profiler;I already have seen some requests for some Sitar-like-sounds.If this is possible(;) why not add some more ethno-style-stuff;For example the Oud or a bouzouki;

I know this is most of all a matter of "cost".I know it is impossible to profile a string-instrument so you need more "sample-like"-stuff.Hence I dont expect a "positive" answer that would include the same price of the unit as it is now.But I am just curious.I have seen the Boss SY-300 some weeks ago on youtube.Thats why I ask.

I just wonder what this Axe FX-guy means and how should this be possible when you do your own profiles;Does the KPA "recognizes" that I am doing a marshall-profile and then puts "one of the seven amp models" out of the pocket while doing automatically some EQs on ITs OWN to sound like MY own marshall; 8|

Wow.At least this would be the most clever digital machine since T9000.Artificial intelligence at its best.And this for just 1600 bucks.So happy I did not buy the "dumb" Axe FX..

I am still trying to understand exactly what you guys have done with the "definition"-parameter.If it is like you say than it should also "interact" with the "presence"-button and maybe the "power sagging";By "interacting" I mean finding the "sweet spot" on an profile.making (as example) a 5150 sounding more like a "vintage marshall" with much less gain,much less compression (specially in the higher frequencies) but having more "open mids";

This would be very interesting.But this would also need much more "discussion" and information from the producers side.

I will give first the more bluesy,melodic approach of the TAF with the "original SLO" the chance to convince me.After all I dont like to tweak a lot.But be sure that I really love your profiles.As well your profiles of this "clone".I will have some more "metal-style" projects in my studio in the next months and your profiles will be my first choice. ;)

Hi Frank,I will give you an "non-direct" answer to your question which is just my 2 cents after 4 weeks of testing the sound-capabilities of the KPA.One of the most interesting things for me is the fact that every single great profile which sounds great with my Les Paul(custom made some 30 years ago) sounds also very good (I would say the "same good") with my 70s Stratocaster.And visa verca.What do both guitars have in common;Well only three things:Both are very "heavy" guitars and both have fixed bridges.Rest is (ofcourse) different.But the most common thing of these two guitars is that they really sound great.For what they are supposed to sound like.With the rest of all guitars I have tried with the KPA things always change from rig to rig.What sounds good with my ESP custom (with seymour duncan humbucker) does not sound good with an Ibanez RG or what sounds good with a Orville Les Paul does not sound good with my Gibson Les Paul special P90s..and so on.I could go on for hours.I am not sure (yet) about the whole thing but it is very interesting indeed.Maybe in the end and after many testing we will come to a simple conclusion;That every "very great sounding" guitar with a "pure concept" (like a vintage strat or vintage les paul) do sound great with great profiles of more or less "great sounding vintage amps";I am talking about all those stuff which we grew up with.."legendary music" with the best marshalls,fenders,Vox,HiWatts etc Jimi,Ritchie,Tony,Stevie,B.B. and all the other lads could get their magical hands on during the last 50 years.That the KPA is indeed capable to "catch" essential characteristics of "sound instruments";Would make sense to me.After all I bought the KPA because it is FUN to play.Means that it has "music" inside.Big thing for a digital device.We never had this before.At least I had this NEVER before.Now back to your question.Could it be that PUs have such a big influence on a profile;I dont believe this.I think the whole thing about the KPA is that you have a "clear concept" in mind when you do the profiling AS WELL as when you select and play a profile.Most professional profilers in here already try to follow this path.On their product sales pages most of them give all information (guitars,PUs,gain,cabs and mics) about their recorded profiles some one who is looking with a clear concept really needs to select them.Maybe it would be a good idea to give more information;Maybe about the EQs setting used;

Thank you all for your usefull tips.

@Ingolf
    I will go in the future for some Atomic or Yamaha-controller as I have seen that most of you guys are very happy with them.But right now and in the next months (with banks still closed/limited access) I am thinking about other monitor solutions.Using some of my tube amps as monitor is ofcourse out of question.But I have an old Axsys212 which has an aux-input going straight to the power amp/2x12 eminence-speakers.

If I dont find some thing better (which is very likely in the next days and weeks) I will give it a try with this setup.Till yet I used my KPA only at home checking the sounds with my tannoys.

Again,thank you all for your answers.Keep it coming.

Not too long and I will use my Kemper for the first time live on stage.
    Sure there have been many discussions here about this issue but I would like some kind of "rules" for anyone who uses his Kemper for the first time live.

Please share your expirience.

1.What are your "guidelines" for the "be sure to have taken care about" of the technical side;I guess most of you guys use their Kemper live with the main outputs FOH while they have a seperate monitor/controller or a 1x12 guitar cab close to them.So please list all your personal tips and "cautions" ie input,output,caps,volume level for different kind of rigs like clean,overdrive;Influence of different guitars,changing guitars "on the fly" etc..Your "personal check list" would be fine as an example.

2.What has been your biggest "problem" or "handicap" using your Kemper live.From small venues to bigger stages;

3.What was the reaction of the different venues sound engineers when "confronted" with the profiler;Any comment or objection from that side of the stage that led you to do something different on the next gig;

Sorry when this issue has been alraeyd discussed in any other thread.

Yeah..this was THE lead sound of all the lads back then in the late 80s/early 90s.
    Actually to get THIS sound you have to turn the master up beyond the half.. <X

One of the reasons I got the Dual Rectifier back than in the early 90s.. (which I use mostly for my lead sounds).Still had the money left to get the Steavens Poundcake for my rythem sounds.

But since then I still "dream" and WANT this single lead sound of the SLO. ;)