Posts by jonwrightguitar

Hey all. It’s been a while since I’ve been on here, last few years have been tough work wise, though the KPA has been in regular use for remote guitar sessions. Until it had a hardware failure of course. It was 6 years old, so it had a very good run.

Unfortunately the experience of getting it repaired was not great. If you guys want to know what happened, this video has the whole story. Hopefully it might be useful to someone.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

It’s up and rocking again now. Hope you’re all enjoying the delights of the KPA!

The currently KPA may be very useable without an editor, but if Kemper do either of the following, they will surely need one: floor based unit, or Kemper 2.0, with biamping ability.

Personally I would LOVE an AU plugin for preset recall. But I dream...

Fairly simple feature request that might be beneficial useful for those running stereo monitors via Monitor and Direct Outputs - the ability to apply the Monitor Output EQ to the Direct out.

It seems a fair few folk are using the Monitor (e.g. Master Left) and Direct Output ( e.g. Master Right) for pair of powered speakers, or in some cases a powered speaker and a power amp+guitar cab. Having just picked up my second DXR10 I'm planning on the same. But you can only EQ one side currently - if that Monitor EQ could also be applied to the Direct Output that would be excellent. I guess it would be a tick-box on Page 3/6 in the Output menu.

Cheers!

Come on guys, calm down, it's already there 8o (Almost) Instant shuffle (no dots!!!) on your Kemper:
    All you have to do is use a quarter note delay program. Now use the tap button and start tapping Quarternotetriplets. Voila: There you have your eighth note triplets ;) If the tempo changes tap again!!! :thumbup:
    Now at least you don't have to stay angry until CK decides to implement it, right??? :saint:
    8)8)8)
    HTH

Well, it's a possible solution if you're able to reliably tap triplets with a foot while possibly playing straight, but the point of tap tempo is that the whole patch, or even the whole bank if you have a bank for a complex song, is synced so if you want a triplet delay in the verse and a straight 8th note tremolo (for example) in the middle 8, you're stuffed. It just doesn't make sense to have to set the tempo of a track to the completely wrong tempo, totally altering anything else that linked to the tempo.

Anyway...

Now that we're clear on the difference between triplet delays and dotted 8ths, and demonstrated iconic use of triplet delays, could we talk about whether they might be implemented in future?

Jon

Triplet delays - the Police's 'Wrapped around your finger': 2:10

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

See also 'Walking on the moon' - though the recorded version the timing is a bit 'approximate' it's definitely a triplet live.

I'm not sure why it's necessary to post evidence of it being used in order to validate a desire to have it, but there you have it.

If we could get past this, what we're saying is that there's no triplet delay. You can get a triplet delay on most delay plugins, which suggests there is a use for it. I certainly had a use for it, and as I say had to use a plugin. It seems strange to me that we have the exotic values like 7/16 but not a simple triplet.

Also, triplet 8th and triplet quarter notes sound really great when you're in 3/4, 6/8, or 12/8.

Is there perhaps a programming reason that they haven't been included?

Have you guys played triplet delays in the past?
    Would love to hear some clips.

CK

I didn't have a particular example in mind, I just wanted it for a session I was working on. In the end I used SoundToy's Echoboy plugin instead, which was a shame as I ideally wanted the delay before the amp.

A triplet delay is heard in a bunch of Pink Floyd songs: Run Like Hell, the bass on One Of These Days, the lead guitar in Keep Talking, and I'm sure others. I hear it in dub reggae too. Strymon's Timeline offers a triplet ratio on the dual delay. It's fairly common on delay plugins, including Logic's most basic 'Echo'.

It's also heard, although sadly only post-amp, in the guitar work of...me. :)

It's strikes me personally that it would be more commonly heard than 7/16, 11/16 etc, which I've yet to find a use for (though I think it's great that they're included).

Thanks
    Jon

I must be missing something - how do you set up a triplet quarter note delay?

On Single Delay (set To Tempo) it offers 1/4, 1/8 dot, 1/8, 1/16 - no triplets.

Don't usually use triple delays so have never noticed it missing, but I need one now. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Jon

Well, 5.0 has been stable so far and the new delays are excellent. I love the consideration given to mono compatibility and the other new features are very useful. Brilliant update.

Thought I'd do something a bit more experimental to show some of the stuff the Kemper can do for noisemakers and avant-garde players, including those making soundtracks. There's some cool delay stuff towards the end. *warning: it's not a 'nice' listen :)

External Content www.youtube.com

I see no posts about 5.0 either! Really curious. Are they deleted because people can't discuss betas or something? Or is there a special place to talk about them that I haven't found?

Super interested to hear about 5.0, particularly delays.

Yes, a delay in the mono stomp slots works, but I rarely want delays before the Stack.

Putting a delay in the 4:4 in the X slot seems to function exactly the same as the Delay slot. (I'm guessing 4:4 means setting both delays to the same value (i.e. a quarter note).) The delay times are the same but any modulation on the delay leads to the same phasing.

A soft key option in the delay module (next to the 'To Tempo' button) to set the delay to mono or stereo. It should be so simple.

Yeah so this is still a thing. It's not a truly mono delay if you set the delays to the same time - any hint of modulation and you get phasing through a mono output (e.g. Monitor Out). (I wonder if this would lead some people to dislike the delay modulation.)

I don't think I'm missing something, but I'd be happy to be told I am.

However wonderful the Kemper is (and I use mine all the time and would hate to do without it) the fact that there isn't a mono delay after the stack is a huge oversight. Roll on 5.0...