Posts by Jose7822

One of my favorite cleans is from a 1957 Fender Deluxe pack sold by Armin (Soundside) above (Pack #03). There's also a Mesa/Boogie TA-30 clean profile in the Rig Exchange that's awesome as well, especially for single coil guitars. That one's free!

Another favorite of mine comes from Rig Exchange and it based off of a Bassman amp, but I don't recall the name if the profile. I'm sure there are plenty more, but those are the ones I've found so far.

Good luck on your quest for great tone!

This should help:

External Content m.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

John,

My reasoning is exactly what I had just explained above. I know that Mick tested several amp/speaker combinations before deciding which one to implement into the Xitone wedge. That's probably the main benefit of buying a powered monitor (that you are getting a matched amp and speaker).

That said, I did state that I haven't compared the Xitone to anything else (meaning, take my word with a grain of salt). For all I know the built in power amp in the Kemper may be a better fit then the Matrix amp that comes with the active Xitone wedge. But, then again, it may not be better. All I'm saying is for the OP not to discard active monitors so easily. There may or may not be merit in it in terms of tone, which is what we all ultimately care about (otherwise we wouldn't be spending money on a Kemper). That's all :-).

Here you are, Rag...

You can thank me later.

http://www.xitonecabs.com/mode…ive-1x12-wedge/index.html

I second the Xitone wedge, though I've honestly haven't tried anything else. I just know that it is very transparent and that the Kemper sounds great through it. That said, I'd still consider buying the powered version only because the Matrix amp that the powered Xitone comes with is half the reason why it sounds so good. The amp and the speaker are matched to each other, thus you get a better combination. Just something to consider.

Good luck!

Welcome to the forums!

If you don't plan to use the Kemper live, and just use it for practicing and recording, then I would just get an unpowered Kemper head and play it through a decent set of nearfiled monitors (not regular computer monitors).

If you do plan to use it live, then I would recommend getting the rack version instead. It'll protect your Kemper and you can also add a power conditioner to it. As far as which Kemper to get, powered or unpowered, that's more of a personal preference. I went with the unpowered rack version since I wanted to use it with a stage monitor, which would give me a couple of advantages:

1- I don't have to carry a heavy cabinet to my gigs.
    2- I get the full tone of the profiles, as intended when they were created, since it includes the cabinet as well.

Anyway, that's what I would suggest. As you said, you only live once so why not get the best if you can afford it? At least, that's how I usually justify my expenses (provided they're not prohibitly expensive, of course). YMMV.

I'm sorry to hear that. I think perhaps you got a dud, cause it doesn't make sense for it to sound the way it did on your clips. As everyone who has chimed in here to help you has said, the Kemper doesn't sound like that. To me the Kemper even sounds BETTER than my Mesa/Boogie Mark V (I've compared them side by side in my studio).

Anyway, good luck!

Don't get me wrong, I really liked so many things about the Fractal product. It was really, really good, but to me, just not great from a purist perspective on just amp tone alone. I'm not a big effects guy, so lifelike is so, so important to me.

The things that really put me off, and I mean way off, was the owner. Is he brilliant for what he has created, no question about it. That being said, he attacked me personally, and I could not have been more professional. Anything I did have negative to say, was minor. He just has very thin skin, and can't handle any kind of critisixm. So when he told me he would buy back my AX8, after he apologized to me in the forum, I simply thanked him and agreed to take him up on his offer. I can't see me ever doing business with that company again, not after the bad taste he left in my mouth. Which was too bad, because he should be proud of what he has accomplished, but also realize he is a competitive market and upsetting customers is simply not a very good idea.

Regardless, I'm very, very happy with my Kemper......

I had a similar experience with the owner of Fractal and, for that reason alone, I swore I wouldn't get ANYTHING from them (at the time I was considering getting either the FX8 or the AX8). He really does have a problem with people saying anything remotely negative, no matter how you say it, about his devices. But, like you said, it is really a shame that he is this way because he does make great modeling devices. No one can take that away from him. In the end, he did me a favor since now I have both a Helix and a Kemper. Couldn't be happier :-).

Anyway, welcome to the forum, Barry! I'm glad that the Kemper gave you the tones that you were seeking.

A quick clip using one of the Dual Delay presets:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

In my experience the cause for this kind or problems almost always has to do with a loud signal being clipped somwhere in the signal chain. If the monitored sound is good then levels are good up to that point. If the monitor sound comes direct from your profiler, then the cause could be either cables or clipping in the 2i4. If you take monitor sound from the 2i4, then clipping has to occur later, which probably would mean in the recording software. Clipping in the audio-interface and/or in a DAW should light up some indicators.
    Does the 2i4 auto-sense TS vs TRS? If it does it could be expecting a much weaker TS-signal, like from a directly connected guitar, as the connected KPA's output is TS while the KPA deliver line-level. I've seen autosensing interfaces make such mistakes before and if you can't override and lock the input to accept line level you are left with lowering the KPA output until you reach a level the audio-interface can handle. The same thing happens with some audio-interfaces if you use XLR and the audio-interface is designed to assume that XLR is synonymous with a mic-level signal. The profiler should have had switches for the main output to force the signal to line-level or mic/instrument-level depending on what equipment you connect to. It is possible to work around the problem by adjusting the output level, but I think physical switches would have eliminated much of the confusion.

I've noticed this, and was wondering if the S/N ratio changes when you lower the Output signal of the Kemper, or is the S/N ratio constant no matter how low you set the Output level? Obviously I'm not gonna set the Output level of the Kemper extremely low, since that would introduce noise from the preamps if they are being pushed farther than they should. I simply would like to understand what Output level would yield the best S/N ratio when recording the Kemper into a preamp/audio interface.

Thanks!

Holy crap dude!

That does sound bad. Besides what the guys have suggested, I'm not sure what could cause this. Have you contacted tech support? Hope you get this sorted out soon. But the Kemper can sound WAY better than that, for sure!

I'm not a Bassist, but I do play Bass when tracking. Just getting that out of the way first :)

That said, I record my Dingwall NG-2 Bass through the Kemper + Darkglass B7K pedal, and it sounds crazy good, IMO. I just use one of the stock profiles as is, but you can tweak them to your liking (as mentioned earlier). There's also the Rig Exchange portal where I'm sure you can find free profiles of Bass amps that already combine the B7K in the signal chain.

Worst case scenario, you get the Kemper, don't like it and return it. As long as you buy from a retailer with a good return policy, all you'll lose is time. But I have a feeling you won't be disappointed :-).

Take care!

its really making me wonder why with so many wanting this that we hear nothing on an editor. we are adults here...if there are no plans for one we will have to deal with it and we can stop threads like this. if there is something coming down the pipe i dont think we need a "surprise" or christmas gift type of feel to it. we would just like to know one way or another......

Exactly!

The Helix does have an awesome software editor. Something akin to it from Kemper would be amazing! However, they need to incorporate Rig Manager to the software editor so that we can have everything in one app. Maybe via a Tab, so we can seamlessly switch between RM and the software editor.