Posts by Slipkid65

Mine is doing something similar. I have a performance saved that I use for my band stuff. Every so often, randomly, the profile in slot one will change to different profile when powering up.

I am on the latest public release (as of last week), but it was doing this with it when it was the latest Beta too.

I've been checking this every time I start up the Kemper, and re-saving the desired profile when it's changed. FWIW, it always changes to the same profile that's in slot 4 for some reason.

Good Thread! I had my new Mission pedal working in no time. Only thing that is bothering me a bit is that the volume is at max when you switch rigs. That wasn't the case with my good old Beringer FCB1010.

This is my biggest issue with the EP-1 KP when used as both volume/wah. I often switch profiles during live use, and after a decade of using a volume pedal for lead boost, I am finding it difficult to adapt to this situation. I would typically keep the volume pedal in the heel position, which would be set to rhythm volume, and use it as a boost for leads. With this setup (which I LOVE otherwise!), I find it distracting when I switch from a clean to crunchy etc. profile or vice versa. Is there a workaround for this, or do I have to rethink the way I use my rig?

I agree that most of the mbritt profiles are too dark out of the box for my guitars (Gibson HBs and Gretsch filtertrons), particularly my HBs. It is easily rectified with a smidge of treble and presence, and then, holy cow do they sound good. Live and recorded. I've been mixing down band rehearsal and gig recordings from the last few months, and I am constantly amazed at how much better the Kemper sounds in the mix, compared to my miced JTM50 setup, which is a killer sounding rig in it's own right.

I am still new to the KPA. I just started using it in my "Classic" rock cover band. I've been using a few mbritt profiles.

One of his 5E3 (tweaked) profiles for basic clean, another , more modern sounding clean profile that I am not sure of the origin but I think it's a /13 and a couple of his '69 Marshall (also tweaked a bit) profiles for crunch and dirt.

What I like is that his stuff sits nicely in the band mix like an amp. I've played with some other profiles that I loved by myself, but they disappeared in the band mix.

As I gain familiarity with the KPA, I will add some other profiles. I am a HUGE Hiwatt fan, and bought the TAF DG pack, but have yet to tweak them to incorporate them into my rig, but I'm definitely gonna do it. It's gonna be cool to get Hiwatt gain at usable levels. Even outdoors, I could never really get my DR504s breathing like Live at Leeds!

Welcome to the forum, Slipkid!

Glad to hear it went well too. That first one's always gonna be accompanied by a few "What ifs?" floatin' around in the back of your mind...

Thanks!

LOL on the "what ifs".... I fly airplanes for a living, so I naturally, the first things I think about are failures and backups.

I've been using my JTM-50 clone and a few pedals for band stuff the last few years. I used a JVM combo before that, and a couple of Hiwatt DR504s before that. The backup was an Orange Micro Terror with a 5751 in V1 to give it usable headroom. The MT fit in the band mic case, and my pedals for the JTM sounded good through it, so it was perfect. I brought a 2 channel Traynor combo as a backup for the Kemper last week, and will probably do that until I get a backup KPA. ;) I can get by with just plugging into the Traynor with no pedals in a pinch.

I am still wrapping my head around the Kemper.

To be honest, I bought the KPA in in January, and kept it in as new condition in case I decided to send it back. I came close a few times. It is not the most intuitive piece of gear I've ever had, but once I understood the basic philosophy behind the menus etc, it got much easier.

I've had a few modelers (I still have a few Pods lying around), and while I always enjoyed them with headphones, I have never been able to EQ them so that they didn't disappear in the band mix. It also "felt" like someone else was playing them, even at loud PA levels. The KPA sounds and feels just like a tube amp, even through the PA.

So far, I am using 4 of the mbritt profiles, and one of the talkbox profiles one of the members here did (thanks!) with the band. I LOVE not having that giant Rocktron banshee 2 on my board. I use the "talkbox pedal" profile in the KPA, and it sounds almost as good......

My rig:

KPA Power Rack with a Kemper remote, and Mission Eng. Kemper pedal setup for volume and wah. I'd been using an EB MVP with my tube amps, and I typically had it on the left side of the board, and the wah on the right. I prefer playing wah with my right foot, but I played the rig below for one band practice, and switched the pedal to the left side afterwards. I found it fairly easy to adapt to using my left foot for the wah for the few songs I use it on.

[Blocked Image: http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/HiwattJP504/Band/IMG_3397_zpsdasqtxqt.jpg]
    [Blocked Image: http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww250/HiwattJP504/Band/IMG_3399_zps30vpcawf.jpg]

This invisible man approves!

Great post!

I had my first gig with my Kemper on Saturday night. I've had the thing since January, but finally got familiar enough with it to set it up to use it live.

I experienced most of the same "problems" you did, only I didn't steal the drummer's girlie drink, I grabbed the bassist's Jamesons on the rocks instead... ;)

Wonderful tool for the bar gigs we do!