Posts by ElDoca

If you're using 3rd party IRs, a simple wav editor (I use Audacity) can merge different cabs into one file and then use Kemper's Cab Maker to convert to kipr. If anyone could figure out a way to convert kipr cab files into wav, that would solve the issue without the need for 3rd party IRs

Sometimes we get enveloped in this research and gear it towards guys who are catering specifically to our needs, and those of others using the Axe-FX, Helix, BIAS, etc. Truth is what sounds great to another person may not for another. Some guys here say nothing beats the Atomic CLR for cab feel, others say it sounds boxy and nothing like a cab. Some say the DXR10 is the best bang for your buck, others say it never feels like a cab and the Alto TS212 is more affordable and they prefer it. Others say they've not liked any FRFR solution they've tried because they don't want to hear a mic'd guitar, they want to feel their Celestian V30's filling the room. Others have built their own solutions while others have found satisfying results using speakers or combo amps that nobody would have considered had they not taken a flyer and tried it out.

Well said

Additionally, I'd like to point out that us guitarists tend to buy, sell, trade and borrow instruments all the time. I do not know a single guitar player that doesn't buy and sell one or two guitars a year in order to find that perfect instrument. Why should your cab be any different? Buy one, try it out. Find something better? Buy it, sell your old one. There is plenty of used FRFR available now that you can do this without losing much money. For some reason, people are agonizing over their FRFR purchases as if they can never change their minds.

ElDoca says earlier in this thread that 75% of the tones he gets from Rig Exchange are unusable.

I still stand by that quote, but would also like to add that the ADA MP1 3TM profile by tomvonfantasy is my main rig and I got that free off the rig exchange. There are so many free profiles available, it can be a bit overwhelming. But, I've always been a gear whore so, to me, it's an absolute blast to go through all of them. My suggestion is to find the profile authors you like through the stock profiles available on the Kemper and the sample commercial profiles that are offered for free. Once you find an author you like, then you can start purchasing from them. When I first got my Kemper, I went on a purchasing rampage but soon learned there was really only one author that I used the most so a lot of money went wasted.

Too many variables to say a Kemper studio profile will ALWAYS sound better than a merged IR. It's all about the person who is doing the profiling and, honestly, 75% of what I get off of the Rig Exchange is unusable. But, a quality IR can sure wake up some of those bad profiles, including my own.

Just picked up a Reverend Sensei 290 for a great price. I was looking for a guitar with P90's and this one sounds awesome.

Hey ajmxbend, I was actually thinking about picking up one of those Reverends...either that or a Godin. Tell me the things that you do NOT like about it.

I've done a few and every build is different depending on the hardware. Most people run into issues when they use spare hardware they have lying around and trying to get it to work. If you are building from scratch and only use known and tested compatible hardware, it's quite simple.

That 300€ lil box is pretty funky and appealing , I dream of a pocket sized KPA like this from the day I bought my kemper.

I've actually thought about that a lot. At home I'm constantly going through and testing various profiles but, when I'm out playing, I really only use three on any given night (clean, drive, lead). Maybe a simple two switch pedal that holds a few profiles and no effects since most pedal guys have their favorite effects in pedal form already. I think I'd prefer something simple like that as opposed to the full-on floor version KPA everyone seems to want

Works perfectly for me, I use 3rd party IRs almost exclusively...especially with profiles from the Rig Exchange. It's amazing how a mediocre profile really wakes up after merging in a professional cab IR. And I include my own profiles in that statement as well. I think most people just don't have the time or patience to test out the hundreds of various IRs that come with commercial cab IR packs.

As for updating Cabmaker, no point in doing that until the next gen KPA comes to market as is able to use higher quality IRs

My guess is that fractal doesn't want to have their products compared with other products directly now that there are many modelers that have similar amp modeling at much less price, this would diminish the hype they have built in recent years.
    Imagine going out of a fractal booth after trying an AXE FX II or AX8, then going to the atomic booth and trying amplifire then asking yourself : the modeling is just different flavors and practically similar results are attainable with both units; if I don't need effects, why should I pay that much money? Then you go down to the line 6 booth and helix is there plus a plugin again at a fraction of the cost!!

With Helix Plugin at $399, line 6 is cornering the market and will take away Fractal's and Kemper's potential sales with the Helix plugin, in case anyone might think I'm just being biased against Fractal because Helix the hardware already took many potential sales from both Fractal and Kemper.

If Fractal and Matrix are at NAMM, they are likely in a hotel room nearby showcasing their products for those interested. Back in the day, those types of companies would put out ads saying which hotel and room number. Now, I'm guessing, it's more by invite only (mainly press) No reason to spend all that money for a booth and display if none of the retailer attendees can order product.

Says a 50+ year old guy in hair metal bands from the 80's ;)
    Now ask me how I know... :D

We should start a club! But, those NAMM shows in the late 80's-early 90's were pretty groovy. I still get flashbacks when I see neon color guitars

Closed headphones are for sound isolation (recording, DJ, etc), not good for dialing in your tone. A good set of open ear headphones are preferable for this. The room has a big effect as well, try different rooms and I always used the DSP monitor setting for home use. When testing out speakers, always try to use stock profiles without any tone tweaking for a more fair comparison.

Love love love the Ethos OD, glad to see some profiles of it. Ran through some of them really quick and if I replace the cab sim with a Fender Deluxe IR, it sounds pretty good. If you do a direct profile and merge the same cab in, I bet it would sound even better. Don't forget you can save just the cab from any of the stock Kemper profiles. I used the cab from D'Lux Dirty - Cactus

Main difference for me is that the tone changes on the DXR10 going from bedroom volumes to live levels. At low levels, it's very boomy to me and it lessens as you raise the volume, but I always needed to dial out some bass going from my studio monitors or headphones to the DXR10. The CLR sounds the same at all levels and I don't have to touch a thing going from my studio monitors. Of course, you will always have to adjust for the room, but at least the CLR takes out one factor from the equation. But, with all that said, if I hadn't gotten in on the Atomic holiday sale (CLR Neo MkII @ $999), I'd still be playing the Yamaha.

I guess I am in the same boat - I purchased two DXR10s a while back and I ended up selling them because I too found they sounded boxy. Also to me, one thing I found missing was the usual punchy midrange we all look for (at least I do) in a good guitar cab.
    I am now contemplating the purchase of a CLR, but then again, I wonder if I'll end up selling it after trying it. ;(

If you're looking for the sound and feel of a real cab, I think you will be disappointed in the CLR. Think of it as a big studio monitor but with better projection. The Gemini might be a better fit, but like I said in my review, I needed to really turn it up to get the cab effect going. The big stores stock them and don't have a problem taking returns if you don't like it, not much of a risk.

Got to test out all four of these at the same time. I invited all SF Bay Area Kemper-ers to come but only one showed up! Maybe he will give his opinions as well. I can try to answer any questions, but everything is packed up and ready to ship out so I won't be plugging them in anymore. The Matrix I bought used so if anyone is interested in buying it, PM me.

Atomic CLR Neo Mk II
    Yamaha DXR10
    Matrix FR12
    Mission Gemini GM1-BT

Right down to it, the Atomic is the undisputed champion in my eyes...er...ears. Sounds so crisp from whisper quiet to knock you over decibel levels. It does everything well from vintage Fender Twin to double triple quadruple rectifier chuga chuga. I mostly use quality studio monitors to refine my profiles and I find I need to change very little when playing through the Atomic. The only question is if it is worth more than double the price of some of the others?

The Yamaha can certainly shine just as well as the Atomic with a few tweakings or switching the DSP settings on the rear. Under low volumes it really has a tendency to sound boomy. Offset that by switching the DSP to the monitor setting and the boominess is gone, but you still have to tweak a bit if you dial in your profiles using studio monitors like I do. And it is LOUD. The DXR10 is definitely the best bang for the buck, but I'm keeping the Atomic.

The Matrix FR12 is the one I wanted to like the most. The weight of this thing, or should I say, lack thereof is amazing. My 6 year old could probably carry it and roadie for me. But, it really sounded thin at low volumes. You really need to turn it up to get the lows and mids to where they need to be and it actually does come close to the clarity you get from the Atomic. The Matrix has 3 DSP settings but the effect is negligible to my ears and didn't compensate enough for my low volume issues. If I were a regular giggin' kinda guy, I could see myself using this exclusively at rehearsals and gigs for the weight and convenience alone. But, for a bedroom poser like me, it just wouldn't get much use.

The Gemini is the one I am having the hardest time parting with. Like the Matrix, it is pretty anemic at low volumes but sounds better and better as the volume goes up. The Gemini has one advantage, a dial where you can lessen the high frequency driver, which helps a bit at bedroom levels. Or, completely turn it off and just use the 12” EV speaker (and turn off cab IRs). What I like most about the Gemini is that it absolutely feels like a real cab when you turn it up. It does change the sound though, but just like a real cab, it's in a good way. You get warmth and richness from the real birch that you don't get from other FRFRs. The reason I'm not keeping it because, like the Matrix, I just won't be using it at the levels needed. But, wow, this really sounded like a real cab when cranked. If you're having trouble liking FRFR, try this one.