Posts by JedMckenna

The algorithm to separate the cab from the amp is not perfect, therefore the result won't be "kosher" (wouldn't sound like this combination in real-life). That doesn't mean it can't sound great.

today i was testing a mbritts profile Helios that was sounding mehh but i changed the cab and omg glorius sound,i used a LRS ir

Guidorist said that he is not a fan of switching cabs but i think after some testing that switching can make some profiles sound awesome

Messing with pickups is definitely not guaranteed success and more often than not, will only bring marginal differences. This market has become ridiculous with all these crazy names out of Greek mythology with statistics and buzzwords used as marketing hype to something which is really just a pair of magnets and some wire of different lenght around it.

See if you can tweak it closer/further from the strings according to your liking and if not, the problem is likely not the pickups. If so, I'd suggest to exchange the guitar for something else.

Since you don't really need the preamps, I'd say the difference in sound quality between mains and SPDIF will be negligible on most interfaces. The most important in my opinion is stability/quality of the drivers (something that doesn't occasionally disconnect or is trouble) and specs (do you want thunderbolt or USB, supporting spdif if that's what you want, number of in/outs if you want it for a studio or tp track something else where you need the preamps).

That's anecdotal but in my experience, I've had great results with: Native Instrument Komplete (cheap) and RME and bad to terrible results with Audient and Apogee (which I'd avoid). The Germans win again I guess.

Not sure what is implied by your question here. If you want to adjust volume between patches, use the Rig Volume.

If you want to know how to find balance between lower gain rigs and higher gain rigs, try the free rigs of an experienced profiler (for example Michael Britt, Meulendijk, etc) in the Kemper Factory Rigs and examine the volume difference they have between clean and higher gain rigs and then take the clean and dirty profiles you like and match them volume-wise. That will put you in the right ballpark right away as this could be hard to figure out when building rigs in an environment without a full band.

Not sure what DAW you are using but if you are using Logic, you have to pan with the "direction mixer" if you want to retain your stereo sound; if you pan stereo using the pan knobs, it will just give you more of one side of the stereo.

Upgrades are a bit of a necessary evil and the more time between the last one, the more things can get messy. Find a time in your schedule when you have some slow time between project so that if something goes wrong, you can focus on fixing it or going back to the previous settings. The new KAOS seems to work great and is probably the most stable in a while for me at this point but I just upgraded to Catalina OS last week and now I'm dealing with a bunch or computer issues never seen before.

I usually use a tiny bit of compression on clean profiles but sometimes, there is also compression present in the amp block already so one has to be careful not to overdo it. I think the Kemper compressor is a bit limited and subtle but not bad at all for that purpose. However, these days I'm more into recording than live performance so I usually turn it off to provide tracks as dry as possible.

...to what everyone else considers to be a much more professional sound.

What is that even supposed to mean? "Professionals" use all kinds of sounds and using a Kemper/modeller doesn't make us special snowflakes. Go tell Scott Henderson or Joe Bonamassa how "unprofessional" they sound through their rigs. Make no mistake, the appeal of Kemper/modellers still mostly lies in their convenience factor.

If you have a friend who has another interface you could borrow temporarily, you can check if the problem is your interface. I have a soundcard that seems to work differently from season to season and I can't wait to replace it. Welcome to the rabbit hole of troubleshooting recording issues. How many times I had to re-track the same thing twice or more is actually embarrassing. Good luck.

Yes, same quality but you'll need a little converter box (which is cheap).

That being said, sound quality out of Kemper is essentially the same if you use main outs or SPDIF, but SPDIF is very convenient. I use an Audient ID 14 that sounds ok but keeps disconnecting and just being a lot of trouble. Depends how much of this depends on your livelihood but at this point I wish I'd have gotten a higher end one like Apogee or RME instead of the cheaper ones.

Didn’t mean to mislead anyone my friend, I am not calling them “Chinese Gear”. They are indeed by definition Chinese gear. Regardless of where the R&D took place, like or not, they are made in the PRC. But let’s be fully transparent here. Where are the profiles themselves made?

Get my point? I am sure they are not made in China for a reason. And I would go as far as take a good guess at the reason: You guys, Kemper, have the highest of standards in your German Factory and manufacturing process and even tough it would be much more affordable to produce it in the PRC, they are not (and likely never will)

So, I was just noting that the quality of the Kone is very nice, despite being affordable (because they are made in China) thats all.

Cheers,

Not to hijack the thread but we are not in the 80s anymore and the stereotype you are hinting at really needs to die. The early quality control debacle of the KPA Stage should be enough to disprove your point. There are reasons to not have your product made in China but bad manufacturing quality certainly isn't one of them anymore.

-Save your kaos file from v6 and old RM somewhere and back up your kpa.

-Install new release + editor

-Find out for yourself

-If you find occasional bugs that are deal breaker, go back to the old v6 + RM

The transition to OS 7 hasn't been as smooth at it was with other versions for me. Still running on the beta and first editor beta with many bugs but will upgrade as soon as I'm done with this recording project. I'm guessing by now it should be pretty stable.

I don't use an MS-3 but the way I look at it, it's redundant to have a multi-effect going through a Kemper. I've always been able to use Kemper alone without the need of any outboard effect and while I am sometimes picky with outboard gear when recording, it's not worth the hassle for live as I need to keep it simple and carry less. Also about the delays as well as the majority other Kemper effects, I'm sure you can get close or better sounds than most outboard gear if you spend enough time tweaking.

Some of those guitar-oriented youtube channels really do everything they can to distract people from actually playing guitar. How about focusing on the real stuff instead of on the variables that matter the least. You'll lose your precious cables soon enough as soon as you start having actual gigs.

I don't know if those two comments came from the same venue or not but sometimes you can't win, something about the electrical wiring of some places makes your equipment more susceptible to hiss. Try to ask if your hiss is everywhere or just from certain rigs. Try recording your rigs to see if the problem is you, then troubleshoot: try ground loops switches, different guitar/cables, disable effects. Maybe a noise gate could be more effective than an EQ.