Posts by easstudios

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

results here so far are quite varied so far. will reveal results soon but just in case anyone is curious…

The image in OP looks like it’s using the amps FX loop rather than speaker outs?

You can do this, but you won’t be profiling any of the poweramp. The poweramp, and the colouration from the cabinet attached to it are a huge part of the tone and only having the preamp may not sound familiar for certain uses. However, if you are using the kemper with a similar poweramp to the amp you’re capturing the preamp from, it can work quite well.

Most interfaces these days list a specification of what the maximum input level is in dBu. It can be a useful value to know, especially when recording DI's and reamping when using a variety of different DI boxes and reamp boxes, as well as different converters (which can have their own dBu to dBFS reference).

I just measured the Kemper's Input headroom and also the Direct Send (used for profiling, but also reamping). With all input and output settings (clean sens, reamp sens etc) at unity/0 , I measured pretty much exactly 5dBu for the DI and reamp headroom.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

The video's above show how you can work this out using sine wave's, a multimeter, and some maths equations.

I also tested recording DI'd guitars with these settings at 0 - they seem very loud and are audibly clipping.

[Blocked Image: https://thegearforum.com/attachments/screenshot-2023-04-20-at-18-11-49-png.6620/]

If I reduce the clean sens. to around -7dB, then my input headroom is 12dBu. In this setting, there was no audible clipping and the levels look healthier. This is more typical for many "prosumer" type devices. UAD Apollo's and Focusrite 2i2's have their maximum input level for their DI's at 12dBu - more high end converters typically allow you to adjust, but they can go up to 24dBu or so (so nearly 20dB more headroom than Kemper at default settings!).

The manual states:

Quote from "Git Studio" - Similar to “Git+Processing”, but here the instrument signal is sent out at studio level, which is much louder than the original level. Thus, no separate DI box is needed to record the pure instrument for reamping purposes. Since the instrument volume is high, the recommended leveling of “Clean Sens” in the Input Section is important

Which suggests that having a very high DI signal is expected if you don't adjust "Clean Sens".

Is anyone able to verify 5dBu is correct?

If anyone is using a Kemper as a DI recording device for using with other amp sims, or for reamping later, I would suggest the -7dB/+7dB settings above as a minimum.

Going to check these out. The IR packs are the best out there that I have found anywhere.

Thanks! very kind of you to say…. I’d love for the kemper community to really latch on to these IR’s as they work so well with direct profiles (and especially the ones I’ve created as I generally dial things in for these). As we all know, the cab/speaker/mic/position all make such a huge difference to the tone, and to be able to freely adjust the IR’s to fine tune the sound really make every profile more useful. I much prefer having all that control rather than scrolling through a long list of profiles hoping that the stars align

New Profile Pack added - Marshall JMP 2104 Combo.

Absolute monster of a JMP, its the best one I've ever come across. Freshly serviced by Marshall. Clips of the actual amp here:

Direct Profiles available here: https://mirrorprofiles.myshopi…/jmp-2104-kemper-profiles

Discount code KEMPER50 is valid until 30th October and works on this brand new pack.

Its also included in the complete bundle for £25 (you get all the profile packs I make included, with new packs added regularly).

I had wondered what the "load box" was that people talk about when creating DI profiles! If I understand you correctly, you're saying it simulates running into a cab, without which the power amp wouldn't respond authentically?

Yeah exactly - basically the power amp will change its tone based on what is connected to it. The interaction works in both directions (rather than just flowing out of one into the other). It also varies between different poweramp designs. It’s kind of complex but it’s a huge part of an amps sound.

The best load boxes are usually designed to have a very similar response to a particular real cab, so that a poweramp reacts in the same way. A resistive load doesn’t push back like a cab does, and makes the poweramp sound flat compared to how they sound driving a cab load. Reactive loads with an impedance curve based on a cab fare much better.

The DI is just the amp, before it gets to any speakers - like if you just plugged e.g. a JCM800 head straight into the mixing desk instead of into a cab. The speaker/cab/mic(s)/mic position(s) - that's all contained in the IR. If you're not sure what IR's are, google "Celestion digital" or Ownhammer IR" for more info. When you buy a set of IR's, for any given cab or speaker you'll generally get a good range of options of mic type and placement - this is how you customise the tone to your tastes, by finding an IR which complements the raw amp tone contained in the DI profile. There are a bunch of free Celestion IR's included with the Kemper btw, and most companies offer a few free samples too.

Definitely important to bear in mind that Direct Profiles do (usually) have the influence of a cab/load on them, but they're still capturing the sound that comes directly out of the output of the amp before the cab. The cabinet (or load) affects the sound of the poweramp. If you capture a direct from an FX send (or preamp output), then it wont have the poweramp colouration on it - these sound quite flat to record with as the poweramp adds quite a lot of tone to things. They can be sometimes useful for running into an FX return of an amp though.

capturing a preset from another device doesn’t really give you the experience of using the original device. It actually annoys me a bit that people care so much about modelling a modeller when there are so many cool amps and cabs out there. But I suppose that’s the fun of it

when it works properly, the results are quite good. The main issues are how long it takes to make a model, and the quality of the captures varies a ton.

Kemper has huge advantages in those regards - even if the accuracy isn't quite as good, you could make tons of profiles in the time ToneX takes to make one, and you have more control to edit parameters afterwards. I think for the most part both can be indistinguishable.

ToneX does sound a bit more accurate to my ear, but sometimes it lacks a little bass and sometimes the attacks soften. Its not perfect, but it fills a void that the Kemper doesn't (and the Kemper does lots that ToneX doesn't).

I've been trying it and having very mixed results. Kemper may not always get it perfect every time, but its always close and you have the ability to fine tune and correct things yourself.

Some of the results I've been getting have ranged from much more accurate than a kemper to significantly less accurate. And on my computer, it takes 2 hours to make their highest quality capture, which is a huge trade off. It might go somewhere but its a seriously premature release as it stands.

btw that video with the Friedman above is mine, I've also done some others of other amps.

It works but the Kemper truncates IR’s a lot, and IMO Rig Manager is kind of clunky to navigate IR files because they need to be converted and the file names can get messy.

There are purpose built pedals to do this that are fairly cheap, I also like HX stomp for this as it has 2048 IR lengths available

Another new update!

12 Direct Profiles of a 1982 Marshall JCM800 4104 50W. Existing customers get this for free. Now up to 17 amplifiers and around 500 profiles (with more to come). https://mirrorprofiles.myshopi…iles-pack-kemper-profiles

You can also buy just these Profiles's for £3: https://mirrorprofiles.myshopi…rock-pack-kemper-profiles

and I made one Profile from this pack free to download here: https://mirrorprofiles.myshopi…e-profile-kemper-profiles

Enjoy! and hopefully something for everyone :)

New update today - 18 Direct Profiles of a Marshall DSL 100H. Existing customers of the Complete Pack get this for free, just check your emails for a new download link. Even better value than ever, with more pack's and profiles to come. I'm determined to make this the best (and best value) direct profile pack there is.

Some examples here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJ9EycchnEY

https://mirrorprofiles.myshopify.com/products/dualsl-100h-kemper-profiles