Posts by rockbadger

I'm more of a guitarist than bassist so have not dug too far into profiles for bass sounds as of yet.

I'm working on a solo project, firmly in 'rock' territory. At a production level, I've decided to go for the fat kick/skinny bass - i.e. give the kick drum lots of bass frequency and use a thinner bass guitar sound.

I still want it to have some power to it, and possibly have a Chris Squier-esque dirt to it.

Is anyone able to point me in the direction of some good profiles for this purpose? Or general tips for achieving this?

I'm using a Yamaha RBX775 5-string bass, if that makes a huge difference.

Thanks all.

This update is awesome! Loving it so much.

Obviously, the Ballerina thing is cool. Now I actually understand how that track works!

But I really <3 the simple but really effective 'Warm Pad' (have switched the amp section to one of my profiles). Used morph with heel at 100% | 100% and toe at all wet.

I officially no longer need a keyboardist. :thumbup:

No - it didn't take me long :)

If there's any interest (and even if there isn't!) I might take it to my friend's recording studio and profile it on lots of settings, with other cabs (the speaker is supposedly the weakest link on this). He has a few other amps there most of the time and I might be able to sneak some profiles of those too.

Hi all

This is nearly my first profile but it turned out quite nicely (for what it is) so I thought I'd share.

https://drive.google.com/file/…5V1ZwVlE/view?usp=sharing

I've tried to put it on rig exchange but the uploader didn't seem to do anything (using Chrome on Mac).

Anyway, here's an inexpensive Laney Cub12 miced with an SM57. The settings details are on the file, but it's set up so that a soft pick attack will give you a decent clean, and digging in with some double stops and you'll get a light but chunky overdrive.

To my ear, it sounds best on my LP type guitar, neck position for some bluesy comping.

Hopefully it all works for everyone and someone finds it useful/enjoyable.

I'll just make one final update here and then I'm done.

Used the KPA + remote live for the first time yesterday - had no time beforehand to setup sounds/performances just as Iike them but managed to get by OK. The very picky keyboardist/producer liked what he was hearing but I could only share the vocal monitors for my sound.

Got home and managed to play for hours and get a lot more set up, which is great - so I'm much more prepared for next time. Rolling with the @LanceKonnerth ToneHAWK Divided by 13 JRT 9-15 EL84 modes 2-4 now. Wow, that was a handful to type out. But they're the right kind of Voxy sounds for me. That's with an LP-style guitar primarily using both pickups.

And this morning I've been able to use the monitor out (with cab disabled) and run it into the effects return of my small Laney combo with pleasing results - that should work just fine so the drummer etc. can hear me OK next time round. At some point I'll hopefully sell that, get a decent cab/monitor. And I'll be selling my pedals too, to fund some expression pedals to get the full musical expression out of the Kemper.

But yeah, I had extremely high expectations of the KPA. And although they've not been blown away, they've been completely met. And when I went into this thinking that this is the most revolutionary bit of kit since overdrive was discovered, that's saying something.

Stage One: Buy Kemper
    Stage Two: Learn to play
    Stage Three: ????
    Stage Four: Profit.

I'm a newbie to the Kemper - but will also be using that interface. SPDIF is the purest way but that should be fine.

I can't speak on the other issues - but if you're recording like that, make sure you've got all the levels right so you're not getting clipping, and the ADC has the best information possible. The loudest peaks of your playing should just avoid turning the input sensor on the interface red.

Now I'm registered I can be my weird self here.

The first typeface is, or looks very much like the classic Helvetica (or the Neue version). This comes with Mac computers.

Kemper's obviously been making some money though, as the new version features the beautiful Gotham:

Try it here

Weirdly, thinking about this, fonts may just be the most similar thing to a Kemper profile file in terms of intellectual property. Profiling an amp is like taking a very high quality photo of some printed page and using line detection software to turn it into a font file. It's not identical to the original, the kerning/hinting might be wrong (similar to amp controls working differently). But it's a fantastic approximation - and with some further work (tweaking, playing with microphones etc.) a good designer could make it better - or use the inspiration of one font to create something new.

Sorry, it's almost 2am here and I'm having 'profound thoughts. Better go to bed.

I've now registered, so hopefully I'll be able to be opinionated on some of the other areas of the forum where I've been mute so far.

This thing is a beaut. Threw the bass, LP-style guitar and 335-style guitar at it. If you've got the right kind of profile for what you like, it's fantastic. I found that I much preferred some people's profiles to others that I tried (professional ones, not just rig exchange). But once I found one that I liked, playing with the pitch effects in particular was loads of fun.

The Sinmix blackstar profile the chap just gave away for free is fantastic with the LP. I've not used high gain amps, admittedly but that's great. Transpose down a tone or two and fun stuff happens.

Loving toneHAWK's JRT 9/15 and Champ profiles.

Still all headphones though. It's well past midnight here. I'll get to play loud soon though, and try my hand at profiling.

They arrived yesterday!

Props to GAK in Brighton for the best price (by a long way) and a free speaker cable when I asked for one.

I've only had a chance to play through headphones, with one guitar, for less than an hour.

First, I installed the rack into a case (safety first). Then I installed 4.0.6 software (didn't want to learn stuff that I'd have to unlearn when I upgraded). Finally, after dinner, getting kids to bed etc. the time came.

I hooked it up to the laptop and got rig manager running. I'd already searched out and found a load of profiles I particularly wanted to try. First on the list was the famous Morgan AC20 profile - and I was immediately home. Noodled around for ages, playing with gain, pick attack and pickup controls to see how it responded. Very nice.

I've heard about the difference between amp-in-the-room and miced-amp-in-the-next-room. Maybe I'm weird but I immediately noticed this and *liked* it. Much better to hear what the listener is going to hear (through FOH/in the mix etc.) than what I'm necessarily used to.

Lovely reverbs. No fizz (well, some fizz on the fuzzier pedal settings, like Early Fripp - which doesn't sound as right to me as it allegedly did to Robert himself).

My other favourites I've tried so far are the Fender Champ + timmy profiles from ToneHAWK (which I bought before getting the KPA!). Also some Divided by 13 sounds.

Hopefully I'll try it out through a speaker cabinet tonight - and maybe with some other guitars. But loving the little I've had so far.

Sure - and I can certainly see that detuning one string etc. would be impossible without that sort of pickup. But you get acoustic simulator pedals and the like and I figure Kemper could probably find a way to make it sound much more awesome.