Posts by skullsession

This isn't a live shot - but it's my live rig.

I keep the Kemper and the battery backup in a removable 4-space rack so I can transport it back and forth from rehearsal to home or to the studio when needed. Otherwise, everything remains plugged in at all times. All I've got to do when I open the case is put out the remote and hook up the expression pedal to it.

The three little cubbies on the left/bottom side of the case: The top one has a Shure pedal style wireless in it - which I was using prior to buying the Kemper so I decided to keep using it rather than selling it and buying a rack version. The middle one is just for storage...IEM's, picks, capo's, and a guitar cable in case the wireless experiences dropouts or interference in a venue. The bottom one is where I store the expression pedal.

On the back side of the case I've got a foam lined box in which I store the remote for transport.

The 1x12 cab is actually the extension cab that Epiphone used to sell to go along with their little 5w Valve Junior head they put out a few years ago. Eventually I sold the head but kept the cab because it actually sounds great with every amp I've ever run through it...from vintage Marshall to Triple Rec...handles it all very well. It's made with birch plywood and the speaker is an Eminence Lady Luck rated at 70w. And, obviously, I removed the Epiphone badge and made my own custom badge for it.

After a show at a club where power in the entire club was wonky, and power on the stage was dipping below 90v during the show, causing my Kemper to reboot THREE TIMES...I decided to research these forums for what folks are using to prevent this. Not much to be found. A few opinions. Mostly from folks who've not actually run into this sort of problem. So I figured I'd just throw up a post for the sake of getting it out there for others who wonder.

I'm using the PowerRack, so we weren't exactly sure how much power I'd need. So we checked out actual draw with a clamp meter. I use a 1x12 cab for stage monitoring the Kemper, and with that thing SCREAMING loud, worst case scenario, I was pulling about 2 amps. Which is quite a bit lower than the plate on the back of the Kemper states as max draw. The math says that 2x120 = 240. I looked around and found a 1U rackmount UPS rated at 300w for right at $140 US. It's made by Cyber Power. Here's a link to their info page.

https://www.cyberpowersystems.com/product/ups/or500lcdrm1u/

I charged it up. Cranked the Kemper and pulled the plug. The readout on the UPS showed that I had about 40 minutes of run time before the battery went dead. It also has an on/off switch so that it's not driving you nuts by beeping every time you unplug it to transport it. The unit is 1U and only 9.25" deep.

The only downside is weight. The UPS adds 18 lbs to the system. But I would much rather deal with that than having this amp rebooting due to poor power conditions.

Ahh..yep. I did find that feature on a video tutorial last night as was able to get it to work as you describe. It looks like I have two options...to setup a rig with a wah and use the switch to turn it on/off the old school way. Or setup a rig with wah ON at all times and just switch rigs.

I'm very impressed with some of the brilliantly thought out programming. Obviously, a lot of guitarists have spoke up and got this thing to make sense in a real-world, live application.

Thanks for the help.

I think I'm answering my own question...but it looks like you have to set it up as one or the other.

So my question really is...are these system settings global or are they for specific rigs? Can I set up a specific rig so that this is a wah and then it's setup in a different rig as volume?

Thanks for the info.

I think I've got it setup right within the Kemper for this. But I'm not sure how this will work exactly once it's complete. If the potentiometer is setup as an expression pedal for volume in jack 3, and the mono switch is setup in jack 4, how does the Kemper know to use the potentiometer for the wah once it's engaged?

It appears to me that the mono switch requires just a momentary switch...not one that is on/off. Can anyone confirm?

I'm rewiring a wah pedal to do both volume and wah switching as an expression pedal...but I'm having a little trouble getting the mono switch to play nice.

Thanks.