Posts by Atlantic

More gain sounds better in all your examples. Don´t overthink it. You decide how you want your sound to be. So just use what sounds better to you.

I guess that the "turn down the gain" is so the guitars don´t get lost in the mix. Maybe with a Metal zone at max gain...

But anyway. Every day we learn something and if you have been watching mixing videos I am sure that you have learnt some useful things.

Learning is never a straight line path. Enjoy the ride.

I decided to buy my Kemper after watching the "Can Kemper Save Chappers" video.

After 20 years of owning just my JCM 800 with pedals I wanted to explore other amps and the Kemper has completely changed my life as a guitar player.

Can´t imagine how many people are sold on Kemper after watching any of these blindfold challenges with a Kemper because anyone that has followed Chappers for some time knows that his skill to recognize guitar tones is amazing.

Great ad for Mbritt profiles, by the way...

That is a TC Helicon cable that comes with the Voicelive products. You can find it in amazon. But the construction is awful and they always break.

It´s a great idea but badly executed. It´s just better to make one yourself if you want it to last.

Some more demo presets with CK in this other video from Brithish Audio:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Hi,

I hope I can give you some advice but my experience is only in band practice as I don´t have any experience playing live.

If I understood correctly you have a Voice Live 3 Extreme? If that is the case, you could use a double cable (in ear+guitar) to connect yourself to the voice live and not need any wireless system.

That is what I do and I connect the ambient microphones thath the VL3X has so I have some room sound mixed in my in ears. But I always have control of my own level, not depending on the level of the voice in the mixer.

If you want, the voicelive also has a monitor IN so playing live you could ask the tech to just send the general mix to your voicelive and then just mix it yourself with your voice in the unit.

For in ears I use the Shure SE215 that are very good for the price and get very good reviews. They are my first in ears so I don´t have anything to compare to.

Hope this is helpful to at least start trying some things...

I find myself tending to use my own profiles or MBritt most of the time too. But surely you should be experiencing the opposite regarding bass and volume.
    Equal loudness curves (Fletcher-Munsen etc) show that our ears are more sensitive to mid range than high and low frequencies. Therefore, when listening at low volume we need to increase bass and treble to compensate (its one of the reasons so many bedroom metal players use an extreme V shaped graphic eq). However, as we turn up the volume that bass and treble should become over powering relative to the mids. Therefore, in theory the MBritt profiles should sound a bit muddy in the mids until the volume is turned up to stage levels if I understand the theory correctly. Having said that I firmly believe that practical first hand observation trumps theory and I haven't really found any major issues with hi profiles at any level so far - time will tell as I start using it more in a live context.

I just follow the observations of other forumites or even MBritt himself (I don´t remember now) about pulling back the Bass knob at about 9 (-3) for low volume playing as a general rule of thumb. Maybe I missunderstood something, but I have tried it and it really works.

Right now I´m just going to use what the general consensum thinks sounds good at stage volumes. And that is MBritt profiles.

Of course it is true that with my headphones at regular volime his profiles sound way too bassy. And it improves if I increase the volume to the point of getting tinitus for some minutes after I stop playing. Of course I don´t do that all the time.

Playing with my cab the sound is different, of course, but still very good if I crank the volume.

I have not stepped on a stage since more than 10 years ago. And back then I just used my red JCM 800 miked and a bunch of pedals. But I got a bit tired of the same basic sound. That was the main reason to buy a kemper. Try other "amps" without having to really buy them.

What I mean by that is that probably in a couple of years using the kemper live I will have my own opinion/method, but now is just guessing or using other people´s opinions.

Anyway... at least I have a couple of months before I have to really worry about that because we are not going to play live soon.

Probably @10w73 there is some middle ground between the over thinking and the "just fine" approach.

Right now my idea, because I use a Powered KPA is to use a good IR of my real cab so I can trust the sounds to sound quite similar.

In my case I don´t want them to sound exactly as the real amp that was profiled, but rather my own version of it. And that includes my own personal cabinet (by the way, just a typical Marshall cabinet with V30s on it. But a it´s red one that looks great).

Let me know if you think this approach should work for me and if some one can suggest a good IR of the V30 Marshall cabinet it would be great.

I understand the question of @JesseLuciani because it is also I concern that I have. Not all of us have access to good studio monitors to evaluate our FOH sound. So it would be nice to have some info about the possible options in headphones that are at least good enough.

In my case I don´t need/want a 100% accurate reproduction because I don´t believe it´s that important as long as the tone is good. And anyways the front desk guy will always have the power to make or brake your sound...

The problem is not your tones nor your ears. The problem is how you manage the eternal dissatisfaction inherent to human beings.

We always want what we don´t have. And you focus in the guitar tone as other people focus in other things.

My advice would be:

- Think that perfection as happiness is an illusion and/or just brief. It does not exist. So aim to 85% of your "perfect tone target" and it will be good enough.
    - Just focus on playing and writing music. That is an infinite task and you will keep your brain happy and working. If you focus on guitar tone, once you think it´s over and that you have it, your brain will try to find some way to keep working by finding imperfections.

There are many ways of enjoy guitar. Some listen to it, others even play it. Some like to trade them ad infinitum and are always looking in Reverb.com, ebay, craiglist ot whatever...

You seem to spend more time in the search of the tone and it´s not working for you, because you think it should have an end and it doesn´t.

I have something new (for me) to say about the transpose effect. Up to this moment I had only used it with very high gain profiles and it works very good. Yesterday during band practice we where trying some new sounds and I decided to try a completely clean sound in one song that we play in drop C (guitar tuned in drop D with transpose at -2). And under those conditions, with all clean profiles that I have in my Kemper, the transpose had a lot more of latency to the point that I had to play a little bit ahead to the beat.

It´s interesting that it works a lot better with distortion than with clean sounds. This might be one of the reasons it works better for some people than others.