Posts by candyman

Just wanted to update everyone on how the story ended :)

I went to check out a bunch of studio monitors at my local music dealer. I was a little disappointed by the HS7, because they somehow sounded less "complete" compared to most other speakers I got to listen to (same price range as well as significantly higher priced ones alike). I eventually ended up getting a pair of Adam F5 speakers and am quite happy with those.

Thanks again to everyone for their advice and input!

I use Yamaha HS7s, I've used them as close as 4 feet in a very small room and as far away as 12 feet in a larger room and was pleased with the results. I haven't compared the HS7 to the HS8 but I don't feel there is a lack of bass response with the HS7s, anyone who has listened to them has been blown away when them hear them.

All I need to do is play those famous four notes from "Shine on you crazy diamond" using Gundys Gilmore signature tone and it gets peoples attention!. Play the power chords from F to G and the room is filled with fantastic stereo bass goodness. :thumbup:

P.

Thanks Peter. i will see if I can find a music store that has the HS7 and the HS8 and compare them. Based on your experience, the HS7 could be an interesting option as they are a slightly cheaper.

I have a pair of Adam A5X and a yamaha DXR10.
    I find the sound from the yamaha more "guitar like", and I think it's probably due to the size of the speaker , 10" vs 5".
    I might also just be not good enough at tweaking the Adam...

Hey lef38, that's interesting. Do you feel you need more volume for the DXR10 than for the A5X to get a decent feel/response (disregarding that the DXR10 sounds generally better to you)?

Yamaha HS8's are perfect in a smaller room, they adjust for the room, they also work really well with a DAW setup, for drum tracks and VST's. They get a great range of sound without having to be too loud, but can rattle the windows if you want them to.

For the home, I'd vote studio monitors.

Sounds like the HS8 are a good choice for studio monitors for the KPA. Have read good things on this forum about them. Thanks JSB!

Hi guys,

I use my KPA PowerHead for band rehersals and the odd live gig (for rehersals I currently play the KPA through my Engl 2x12 cabinet, in live situations I would run the Kemper direct into FOH and use my Engl Cab as "stage monitor", knowing that it will not sound like what's coming out of FOH).

Most of the time though I play the KPA at home through headphones and I would like to get the possibility to hear what I am playing through some sort of speakers (mostly practice and playalong to backing tracks). I am wondering which of the two alternatives would be better for this purpose:

1) A pair of Studio Monitors (like the Yamaha HS series or the KRK RP Rokit series)
    2) A FRFR Speaker (like the Yamaha DXR series or the Atomic CLR)

I may also use whichever of the two I am going to get to listen to music / playback some practice recordings, but those use cases are not really a priority for me.

Can anyone give me some advice on what the pros and cons of either option would be / how you may have already solved the same challenge?

Cheers

Paul