Posts by jaybird666

I agree, but with the abundance of profiles I find it much easier to scroll through profiles in Rig manager by filtering for the amp type or tone. In this specific example if you put "TSL" in the search field. you will get at least 24 marshalls TSL that reside in Rig Exchange, plus if you have imported many profiles packs in rig manager, you will get more, another click on the gain level filter and you have them sorted by the level of gain from high to low. It takes minutes and you might find the exact tone your'e looking for.
    Going through cabinets, I find to be a bit time consuming that's somewhat not inline with the original purpose that I got the Kemper for and in addition to that I get a bit OCD about changing cabinets because the resulting sound will not be the most authentic due to speaker impedance interaction that's captured most accurately and most authentically in the studio profile I'm not saying you won't get good sounds changing cabinets, they just won't be more authentic, unless you're using merged profiles with other cabinets from other merged profiles.

From prior experiences , prior to Kemper, and due to ear fatigue while playing at loud volumes and changing impulse responses, I would end up with, what I thought then, is an amazingly satisfying sound, to come back the next day, with fresh ears, to find that it was actually horrid. Even though I no longer tweak hardly, I have limited my parameters to going though Studio profiles. Aside from little EQ to match to the guitar type I'm playing, It's much less time consuming and the results will always be closest to real world amps.

So this hits on an important point for me. One of the reasons I bought the Kemper was to try and reduce "fiddling" time. I tend to get sucked into this, and spend more time tweaking parameters than actually playing my guitar which is a problem for me anyways. I was hoping to not get into changing cab's , 3rd party IR's , adding eq's , etc to get what I'm looking for. I will admit I'm really anal when it comes to tone though, so maybe the technology available just isn't there yet for what I was hoping for.

I don't want to spend countless hours on tone questing. But I wasn't going to find out unless I took the plunge and bought a unit to try for myself. Not giving up yet, but I will say I'm a bit surprised at out of the 14,000+ profiles my Kemper came with that only a handful really impress me. To me that say that there is a fair amount of studio skill required to do a great profile , and most "lay" users don't have much of a chance of making "golden profiles".

This is just the opinion of a new user who didn't spend much time lurking the forums prior to purchase and didn't know what to expect out of this thing really.

Question - what's a studio profile? Just a "professional" one?

Try the pure cab for this. This harshness can be part of the close mic phasing thing that exists in close micing that pure cab addresses. I would also say choosing different profiles might help in this situation as has been mentioned previously as it wouldn't surprise me that these profiles sound identical the amp the was miced and it might work for some depending on the mix.
    For High gain, Guido's profiles are my favorite and I have to say that his XTC profiles are a must have for anyone who likes high gain, they have just the perfect hair and include the full spectrum of mid range and bass for a real tight feel, for under $5 it's a crime not to get them.

I have Guido's XTC profiles , and they are my favorites at the moment so I agree!

As far as the pure cab goes, I said that I have added it and played with it a bunch. It does help but doesn't eliminate the problem entirely.

Thanks Monkey. That's what I was thinking. My Kemper came with 1,000's of profiles, many , many of them have this issue. So it seems that there's lots of "operator error" out there regarding making profiles. Too bad.

If you or others can point me to some high quality / fizz free high-gain stuff to check out it would be appreciated.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses so far! So yes I do own Mbritt profiles, and they do sound much better than most. I also own his stuff for the Atomic Amplifire. I think one of his "tricks" is that in his cabinet IR's he really lops off the top end pretty low, probably around 6k Hz , maybe lower. That doesn't leave room for high pitch noise , well because there is no top end ! And yeah his tones are great for cleans and mid gain stuff, but not really a fan of his high gain pack.

So I plugged my DT 770's into the Kemper headphone jack and I do hear the harshness.

Here's a quickie clip from a ChopTones profile of a TSL Marshall. It's not the worst sounding one, but while I had a spare 10 minutes did a quick clip. But when you play for say 30 minutes your ears get really fatigued listening to a top end like this.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Maybe it's just a profiling thing that you need to take care of the high end, or decapitate it like MBritt does ? ;)

I will do that. Fyi here's what shows up when it screws up (blanked out S/N):

opened new KPA with serial XXXXXXXXX version 5.0.3.12660B
    Timeout in GetGlobals
    KPA Connect unsuccessful
    Timeout in GetGlobals
    KPA Connect unsuccessful
    Timeout in GetGlobals
    KPA Connect unsuccessful
    Timeout in GetGlobals
    KPA Connect finally unsuccessful

It's still there when I go direct to the JBL's, so it's not an interface thing.

I'm using the main 1/4" outputs.

My profiler had bunch of profiles from the previous owner, and I downloaded some. Not sure how to tell if they are Studio, Merged, etc yet as I am still learning!

Hello !

New Kemper owner here of about 1 week. So still definitely getting my feet wet. Having some issues with hearing some sort of digital noise / fizz / hair on many profiles. Hard to describe, but it's annoying high pitch overtones , especially on high gain profiles. Overall the sound isn't bad , not hard clipping , but its not really ear pleasing either. Its one of the reasons I am moving away from Atomic Amplifier that I just can't seem to dial it out. I'm not distorting the input, tried 2 different audio interfaces (Scarlett 6i6, ID14) going direct to my JBL-305's. I added in an EQ with a high cut in the "X" slot. It's still there. Also tried many settings in Pure Cabinet. Some profiles it's more prominent than others for sure.

Do others hear this and just live with it? Tips to eliminate or reduce it severely are appreciated!

Hi there!

I just got my Kemper 1 week ago , so just getting started here! Been playing for about 30 years, just for enjoyment though sort of seeking a band at the moment. I appreciate all kinds of music, but hard rock and metal are definitely my favorites. Nothing better than a tricked out Marshall roaring for me anyway :)

I've had a couple of modelers before and still own an Atomic Amplifire at the moment. I have a Cameron modded Marshall plexi and Bogner 4x12 as my main rig, but looking to add new dimensions with the Kemper - hoping it's a fruitful journey! :thumbup:

Hello,

New Kemper owner here so 1st post! I am running Rig Manager 1.6 for Mac, and 5.0.3 on the Kemper. If I have Rig Manager up then boot the Kemper it doesn't see it. If I exit (sometimes have to force quit) Rig Manager , then relaunch it then works.

Is this normal behavior?

Thanks!