Posts by audiomitch

I wasn't that excited when I heard about Liquid Profiling, but now that I've used it I think it brilliant! The Gain Control is awesome and so much like a real amp. No more auditioning multiple profiles for the perfect amount of gain!

Probably already requested multiple times, but the VST Plugin for the Access Virus is superb. With USB audio it should also be possible with the Kemper. This along with Liquid Profiling would complete the feature set as far as I'm concerned. I'm using IK Multimedia Tonex more than Kemper right now for the sheer convenience of a plugin. I capture my favorite Kemper profiles in Tonex via SPDIF. It's another step, but helps streamline in the heat of a session.

Just got done moving in to a new place, and finished setting up my little recording setup. Yay! Anyhow this will be the cleanest it will ever be, it's all downhill from here ;) The monitors look wonky, but it's because of the lens on the camera.

Notice how my Marshall DSL40c makes a great stand for my Kemper?

Now to finish the rest of my new fixer upper house! What have I gotten myself in to?? ;(

I just use an old M-Audio ProFire 2626 in standalone mode. It's a old firewire interface that's no longer made. I see them for like $100 or $150 on the used market. It has great routing features, and I can route the coax S/PDIF to the first 2 ADAT channels. You'll need a computer with Firewire to configure it, though. It's a cheap alternative, the preamps aren't terrible, but the best part is going line level bypasses the preamps completely. That is awesome if you already have great preamps in a lunchbox or something.

But... If I were you, I would probably go analog with the KPA. The Babyface Pro preamps are not bad, and trying to figure out all the digital hoops may not be worth it if you have to take a crash course to get the technology to work. You won't notice much or any difference in sound quality, some people here prefer the analog outs.

My two cents, anyway.

I'm not saying that the Kemper clock worries me quality wise, but for the paranoid users out there it might be worth mentioning that e.g. RME interfaces interpolate external/received clocks up to their standards. The feature is called Steady Clock IIRC.
    I'm not sure about other manufacturers, but I guess RME aren't the only folks that incorporate ideas like that into their devices.

Exactly. Digital clocks sync with each other, they don't replace. If you only have the choice of syncing a poor clock and a quality clock, choose the poor one as the master. The better clock will stay in sync much better than the poor one.

There are other arguments for using S/PDIF than just fidelity. I use digital on my Kemper, yet I use analog on my Virus.

Is there a huge sound difference between S/PDIF and analog? Not really. But there are a LOT of things along the way that can change that. Bad cables, RF interference, dirty contacts, accidental phase issues, etc.

Introducing some unnoticed hum or analog induced distortion in to the signal will add up after stacking the tracks.

On the other hand, S/PDIF tends to either work or not work. And when it's not working it's REALLY obvious.

Then there's the personal OCD factor for us anal types. I just don't like the idea of added conversions. So sue me.

Thanks for the replies. Will this actually sound good or is this a cheesy solution?

It's going straight to the power section this way. You definitely want to avoid going through the DSL40c preamp, I can't think of any other way of doing it.

But like I said, be careful, you won't have any kind of volume control on the Marshall, just the KPA (and turn off the KPA cab!)

FWIW

I still buy profiles, mostly because they are such a bargain. A short while ago I was spending hundreds on plugins that don't sound nearly as good. None of them come even close to the KPA for sound.

That said, I'll usually buy a Rig Pack and use 2 or 3 profiles out of them all. They're trying to cover as much territory as possible, and some of them just don't fit what I need. But $15 to $30 for the ones that work is totally worth it.

A lot of the value is in the setup of the amp. For example MBritt has a real touch for setting an amp up, and he's seemed to find the right formula for miking a profile. ToneJunkies uses the built in effects to great effect. Most commercial Profilers have their strengths.

A lot of the Profiles on RE are brilliant, but you have to do a lot of digging. I use about 50/50 free and commercial profiles.