Posts by MementoMori

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I again reiterate that Kemper runs a consumer-oriented business, and in that you accept criticism comes with it, constructive or otherwise. I don't think they are remotely as sensitive to the tiny amount of forum rants in the grand scheme of things as the people here are who get reflexively defensive.

Case in point: the last "negative" post was saying that "maybe it's released at NAMM" 2 days ago. More pointed rants are still much, much further back, yet we are continuing to post about people being impatient. It makes a handful of people who have been pretty quiet sound like it's an endless chorus who are banging the war drums.

They said Q3 and it's still Q3. Nobody expected them to wait until the last moment, but still technically within the time frame given.

"Feelings" about the timing of its release are nothing more than that feelings. No different than people for years predicting that "something huge is just around the corner" when nothing significant happened. Mostly a mixture of wishful thinking or impatience.

It will be done and released when it's done.

It doesn't invalidate the fact that when new hardware comes out, old hardware loses value.

It loses value, perhaps on the used market, but I fail to see how that is remotely important.

Further, if there are more than 2 (Fractal Axe, Line 6 Helix) that play competitively, I would like to know what they are?

People looking for all-in-one digital emulators. Atomic, Mooer, BOSS, Headrush, Positive Grid, Zoom, and many others. Just because Kemper, Helix, and Fractal lead in "perception" doesn't mean people don't do their homework and also invest in other devices.

So... what you are saying is that it would be OK if Fractal was still selling their Axe from 8 years ago? I am not sure that any amount of firmware upgrades would put it on-par with the Kemper of today .... but then again, we will never know since they quit doing anything on that old Axe (of any significance) quite some time ago ... don't you think?

I don't see how this is relevant or germane to my point. If you're happy with your Axe-FX Ultra, as some people are, then you're under no obligation to buy an Axe-II, Axe-III, or AX8. Mind you, Line 6 still sells POD's, so wouldn't be altogether unprecedented anyway.

No. They are not. Please read the note above again.

ColdFrixion was comparing the different versions of the Axe-II, not the Axe-III when he says models were compatible. The note you included from Fractal was in reference to the Axe-II update not sounding exactly like the Axe-III. His point was that is you bought an Axe-II, you didn't need to buy an Axe-II+ or Axe-IIXL+, as many didn't.

A lot of people already use the third party editor. I certainly do. It is very likely that anyone who does lots of automation already has tons of MIDI experience and equipment. As always, it will of course be nice when the editor is integrated with rig manager and can work through a USB cable :)

Most Kemper users wouldn't know about the editor because they're not members of the forum or another social medium like the Facebook group. Even plenty of those who've crossed paths with it haven't done so. Some express they're not interested in a 3rd party editor and want an official integrated editor.

Point being, a 3rd party editor is not going to add value the way a native editor will that comes with the device and subsequent software. Not even close.

The Kone isn't software and the editor sure isn't hardware. To me They can't be compared as what's worth more to a buyer later on because it is an apples/oranges comparison for one, and their individual worth iS in the eye of the beholder. Both together however does help the bottom line price wise, and that's a good thing.

Not sure to which point you were responding, but I'd just add that software or hardware, current and happy customers are more willing to invest in either. In that way I do think there is a correlation for sure, not to mention the Kone requires software to tap into the speaker modeling, and should hopefully be selectable within any editor.

OneEng1, off topic, but that line of reasoning is pretty cherry picked for a number of reasons.

• Your summary failed to account for frequency of updates and number of updated features. Compared to some other competing devices (and it aint just 2...), the frequency of Kemper updates isn't blowing anyone away. In fact, it lags behind many others. We can of course argue the "quality" of those other updates, but it's beside the point here if I'm to strictly interpret your reasoning.
    • Old versions of hardware still work, and the only "value" that matters is to that of the player. If you still use hardware that is no longer supported with firmware updates, it works no less for you than it did before. If we were to take the common sentiment expressed on the forum that people don't need new features because they bought the Kemper "as-is", I don't see why that's suddenly an exception.
    • Are users angry about updated hardware, or excited about newer features and possibilities? I think we know the answer.
    • Nobody has to buy new hardware if the old hardware still works for them.
    • "Value" when discussing other devices here is often meant solely in a market sense. If you're happy as a clam and never plan to sell your device, I don't see the need for such a preoccupation. It seems to be used more or less to try and demonstrate Kemper's superiority over others.

I also don't buy into the line that Kemper is going to sell so many more KPA's because a company written editor comes out. There has been a full featured editor for the KPA for a couple of years now. I don't see the Kemper version of the editor doing much for sales .... IMHO of course.

As I pointed out before, the more value Kemper adds to the device, which is adding features people need and ask for, the happier their consumer base will be and will continue to invest in Kemper products in the future. That's a more economical sales approach because it keeps existing customers. New customers are far more expensive to procure.

Agreed, but unlike other companies, they don't just release new products that includes these upgrades, forcing you to buy a new unit. This will be available for all KPA's

To be fair, in this industry it's the norm to release upgrades and upsells to existing hardware. It adds value to your existing product and also keeps your consumer base happy and engaged. They are the most likely to continue investing when you eventually have new hardware or complementing products. If a company has shown to give added value to a product you invested in, it's easier and less expensive to keep you as a customer rather than trying to procure new ones.

You can't try to delegitimize peoples arguments, then accuse them of nitpicking when they dissect your reasoning.

Besides, I don't think team Kemper gets nearly as bent out of shape over the handful of cries for an editor as the people here do.

should I avoid the ‘amp gain’ & instead add boost/distortion pedals?

That's up to personal taste. I've tweaked the gain on the front to more satisfying results than any of the stomps. I don't personally care for the boost or distortion pedals in the KPA, and I'm not a pedal guy in general. If a profile has a gain structure that I don't like, I usually just toss it and find another, or create my own profiles.

Is it true that you should avoid adjusting the EQ & gain on profiles?

No, there's nothing inherently wrong with it. The reason some people elect to not use it as much is it functions more like a studio EQ. The further you change a parameter, the further you get from the original source tone since they aren't meant to emulate the controls on the front of your specific amp. If someone wants to stay more true to the tone they mic'd, they're less likely to change a whole lot.

That being said, it's not as if the controls are unusable. They can be useful, at the very least, for boosting or shaving certain frequencies, especially with a different set of pickups. I notice the controls work well with some profiles, not so well with others, so it's better to use your ears and rely on your own judgement.

The axiom goes: The customer is always right.

The reality? The customer isn't always right. Sometimes the customer is just an a$$.

Well, in this case the customer who was being responded to shared his ticket number, as have others. If the claim was that it has never been brought to their attention, it's been demonstrated otherwise. That's not really being an ass.

ckemper, Hans etc (all of whom I have the utmost respect for) would never behave in this manner towards customers.

Not long ago CK called me a troll for bringing further light to an issue that was already being discussed and had been many, many times on the forum. Mind you, I was being polite and constructive, especially with the person who invented the device I own. I brushed it off, but it can't help but make you think about how a company views and interacts with its customers, especially when the purpose is to discuss imperfections with the agenda to make the product that you own better.

It's been brought up and discussed many times, including marathon threads. I'd rather not dive into the issue again because it sets off an avalanche of people who take it too personally and constantly move the goalposts.

I will say that some are much closer than others, but the ones where differences are apparent, you get a ton of guys who simply can't hear it, won't acknowledge it, or are unwilling to have biases confronted. At this point, it's not worth the time and energy.

That's the problem, too much garbage. Most of the profiles on the rig exchange are mediocre at best. Some are just downright bad. I'm not sure why, I've profiled quite a few amps including my own and have been able get relatively good results and in the case of my Uberschall profiles excellent results.

Not everyone has the same tastes and same monitoring. Also bear in mind that most people doing these at home are probably listening to the profile back through their cab or with headphones (right next to their cab and getting plenty of bleed), which is a far cry from when you play it on flatter monitors with cab emulation on.

In my experience making profiles, given my own limitations, something may sound ok through my Mission FRFR cab in the room, but on monitors is unusable. It's forced me to shoot lots of profiles with different mic positions and settings to assess later. It's very time consuming to do it this way, though, and I've burned entire days profiling only to end up deleting everything. Judging by what's on the exchange, I highly doubt as many people are putting in the same time and effort.

Also, judging by how many people hear comparisons with clear differences between source and profile and then talk about how exact it is, I don't have much faith in your average guitarist's ears.

The problem with sorting in a universal way is that Kemper would likely be getting into sticky territory with trademarks. If Kemper labeled profiles based on company names and amp models, it opens up a litigation window because the company is using them without permission. Not doing so allows for the consumer to label things in any way they like, the drawback being uniformity is impossible.

Kemper has grown to the point that there are so many profiles and profile sellers. For Kemper this is a good thing since it's the customer who is actually adding value to the product and doing the legwork, so to speak. Its methodology allows for so many variables, so the possibilities of unique profiles are seemingly endless. The downside of that is you're going to get a ton of garbage with it.

The reason you find those is because, say someone has a sound they've used and like out of the Axe-FX, but also has a sound they use and like out of their amp and cab. The Kemper allows you to have profiles of both.

the profiles of those modelers IMHO trashes up the rig exchange

It no more "trashes" up the exchange than profiles of real amps done terribly, which I would say is the vast majority of profiles. I wouldn't get hung up on the source, I'd judge it by sound. Again, listen with your ears not your eyes.