Posts by vtgearhead

Following a suggestion from Steve Conrad (Elantric) on VGuitar forums, I use a little dbx 'Go Rack' between Profiler and amp. These gadgets have a built-in preset with FM compensation and were being blown out at ridiculous prices a while back. If things sound right at polite levels with the EQ inserted they generally translate well to stage volumes. With a bit of care you should be able to dial in an appropriate curve with a parametric EQ of your choice.

Haven't tried the Beta yet, but am puzzled to hear no mention about FuzzFace modeling with the new code. I never thought the legacy drive did a convincing job on this and it's about the only device that Helix clearly has done better to date.

Easy trap to fall into with pitch-shifting. I'm always surprised at how little sound leakage is required to mess things up to your ears. When playing with IEMs, I quickly learned not to hold the guitar against my ribs - the bone conduction is enough to create issues.

I can think of a half-dozen ways to remove a permanently latched Ethercon plug without damaging the unit. If need be, just saw through the barrel with a Dremel cutting wheel and disassemble the innards from the outside. If I managed the US Kemper repair group that person would disciplined or dismissed.

It may be a stupid question, but I always have this doubt. I have a mooer baby bomb 30w power pedal and I can't even use the volume at 2 and the volume is already impossibly loud. The monitor out volume is already at -26db. How far can I go without sacrificing sound and headroom? Those who use external power pedals, at what volume do they leave their monitor out? Thanks

Don't be afraid to attenuate the Kemper output level as far as necessary if you have range left. It will not affect the tone and being able to crank open the Mooer device will actually improve headroom.

I have the Bam set to 12 o'clock on all the dials. Not sure what to do with gain and master. I have gain up a tiny bit otherwise there's no sound, and master a tiny bit, because otherwise it's extremely loud. I'm just using this setup for bedroom playing.

Please see graphs in my posting above. The BAM is not particularly close to being flat with controls at 12 o'clock. Follow the settings in the second graph and you'll be at a better starting point. As far as gain and volume: With gain too low you run the risk of overdriving the input stage. Probably best to have gain at about 10 o'clock and volume at same. Then, back the Kemper output down (may need -20 db or so) and adjust BAM volume to taste.

So, I finally got my Kabinet and ended up going with the Bam200, but I'm not all that impressed with the sound. It doesn't sound like an amp to me, it just sounds the same as it always does, just loud, that is... a mic'd recorded cab. Maybe my settings aren't right, or are there only particular profiles this works well for?

In Output I have Kemper Kone enabled, Monitor Cab Off, the Master Ouput is set to Master Mono, but I've tried the others as well.

Is that how it's supposed to be set?

Be sure that you've adjusted the BAM200 tone controls.

Wow, hard to imagine this… the TC unit must be surprisingly good.

It's not anything special, just a well-engineered Class-D amp that's designed and built in house (as opposed to using ICEPower OEM modules). But, at the risk of being repetitious, it's not flat at neutral control settings and has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amplifier. By my measurements you need to setup this way to get something close to flat:

• Bass @ 10 o'clock
    • Mid @ 3:30
    • Treble @ 10 o'clock

Also, for reasonable gain staging be sure to have the input gain around 10 o'clock and volume about the same. Then back down output from the Profiler to get sound level in the ballpark. If you try for performance level with BAM200 settings on the low end you run the risk of overloading the instrument preamp stage.

I think I’m done with searching my ”Perfect Digital Amp Rig” with Kemper + Ritter Camplifier + Kabinet + Remote.

Man this thing sounds good! I mean Kemper + my Atomic CLR is super nice setup... But Kabinet just sounds even better!

Took the words right out of my mouth. My CLR isn't going anywhere, but Kone is quite impressive and has some stupidly great voicing available.

Are the high cut and low cut that have been added to the output section supposed to work the same was as the high cut and low cut in the EQ? I had been putting an EQ in the X block, with the cuts at at 100 and 6.3k. If I remove this and put the same values in the output section, it sounds like it has more bass and treble. Since the output cuts are coming after the reverb and delay, it would make sense if it has less bass and treble, but not more. Anyone know how this is supposed to work?

Are you using the Kemper display or Rig Manager for this adjustment? There appears to be a bug in RM that results in an incorrect frequency display. Not sure where to report Beta bugs, unfortunately. Is there a dedicated forum?

Interesting indeed. I got actually somewhat similar results when I compared CLR and Kabinet+BAM to each other. I'm curious how did you come up with the flat response settings for the BAM? Did you compare with the PS170 by ear or by measuring both or something else?

Measurement using REW. If you have access to the private forums there are graphs posted.

that doesn’t sound right. There is a separate hi/low cut for the monitor out. looks like that might just be a bug.

Hmm. I just packed up the Profiler for practice tomorrow, but I could swear I saw only one page on the built-in display with filters on it. Just assumed it was for both. But, I did notice that corner frequency in Rig Manager isn't correct so probably an outstanding bug.

The latest Beta added a high-pass and low-pass filter to the output module. Unfortunately, the way these controls appear in Rig Manager leads one to believe they affect only the main output. When I started working with them I discovered they also affect the monitor out (which is desirable to me). I suggest updating the GUI to make this more obvious.

how did you set up to measure with REW? I have ised it for tuning my room but never thought about measuring amps etc with it.

Very straightforward. Just run the audio interface output (usually R channel) to the input of the device and send the output back to the mic input. You may have to reduce the mic gain when testing line level devices. Be sure to disable any microphone calibration curve that may be present. Also, be very careful when checking the output of a Class D amplifier! The majority of these have both output terminals floating and can be damaged if you ground either of them. The BAM200 has an active balanced XLR line out, so I used pin 1 (Gnd) and pin 2 (+ out) as a single-ended output.

After living with a Kone for the past month I'm joining the club and moving away from FRFR (for Kemper, at least). Kone provides an eye-opening experience in terms of presence and lack of grating "fizz". I'm running mine in a Seismic 1x12V cabinet (open back), largely because the Kabinet was unobtanium for months here in the USA. I note they are back in stock at Kemper store now, FWIW.

Do the icepower amps sound any better due to them having no EQ?I have a bam200 which is great but would love to hear opinion on those who have tried both, seeing as they seem fairly easy to install

I have both: Seymour Duncan PS170 (ICEPower) and TC BAM200. Unlike the PS170, BAM200 is tailored for bass guitar. With all controls at 12 o'clock it has a pronounced mid-range dip with boosted low and high end. To get something close to a flat response you need to set with Bass at 10 o'clock, Mid at 3:30 and High at 10 o'clock. That provides a response that's flat to +- 1db from 30 Hz. to 10 KHz. Also note that the BAM 200 has a lot more gain than a dedicated power amp. Set the Kemper monitor out at around -30 db and run BAM200 gain at around 10 o'clock. Set BAM volume to suit.