Posts by Ruefus

Maybe you’d consider the Fishman Fluence Single Set. there‘s a lot of Information available - I like them pretty much

I've got a set of their Gristle Tones in my Tele. Best upgrade I've ever made.

If I were going to replace the pickups in my Strat - these would be my first choice. Hands down.

I've been using a 3 loop MIDI switcher to control 3 pedals with the Remote. It all functions properly, but there has always been a ticking sound that appears whenever at least one loop is engaged. The workaround has been to be super-quick with the volume pedal. But sometimes that doesn't suffice, and let's fact it - a workaround like this shouldn't be necessary.

I've been working through this problem for the last 18 months. If I were to list all of the things I've done/tried/bought/sold/returned to troubleshoot this problem, we'll be here all day. I've tried it all and stumped more than a few techs with this one. Nothing other than unplugging the MIDI cable quiets the noise. Even a wireless MIDI connection passes the sound.

The wireless MIDI connection passing the sound gave me one last idea. The KPA has to be sending signals, even when normal messages aren't.

What I believe to be the source of this sound is the KPA's MIDI Out constantly sending what's called active sensing messages. If you don't know what that is - count yourself lucky. Its part of the MIDI specification that serves as a way to ask connected devices 'are you still there?'

I've been told by Kemper Support that active sensing cannot be disabled in the KPA. I can't be 100% sure it's the culprit....because I can't disable it to check. But I've (literally) tried everything else I or anyone else I've spoken to can think of.

Since I'm nearly out of ideas.... Is it possible to filter out these unneeded messages and prevent them from reaching the MIDI switcher? Or....is there some double-secret/super-user method of disabling active sensing in the KPA firmware?

I’ve had good luck with free and paid profiles.

I used the free packs to find profiles I liked. I found that I gravitated towards the same profile maker(s) and tried more of their free stuff.

When I found something I really liked - I bought that specific amp pack and have been very pleased. Guidorist makes badass profiles.

Rather than look for a specific amp and ‘that’ sound (like certain Marshall or Fender or whatever), I just go hunting for the sound in my head.

You’ll find that stuff you’d likely never think being killer.

The solution to your problem is more guitars. In fact, that is the solution to any problem. ;)

A favorite of mine:

Q: How many guitars are enough?

A: This is a math problem. The correct equation is:

N + 1 = Enough Guitars

The variable N represents however many guitars you have now.

If you’re asking if the Kemper can create custom tunings like:

DADGAD (Celtic tuning)

DGDGBD (Open G)

The answer is no.

DGCFAD is D standard - all strings a full step down. The transpose function (in the Rig menu or as a stomp) will do this.

It isn’t perfect. It adds some latency and also affects the tone by making the highs less prominent.

Go to performance mode and the slot you want. Turn the browser knob and enter the profile you like. You'll be browsing through the browser mode menu. Then hit save. Repeat for other slots.

In addition, (and just in case):

If you’ve been using Rig Manager, make sure the rigs you want to add to a performance are stored on the Profiler and not on your computer.

Rigs, Presets and Performances all have a ‘folder’ that show “your” Profiler. If the rig isn’t in there - it’s not on your Profiler.

I think the history of ‘celebrity made’ presets demonstrates the difficulty with doing this.

As Kellerblues points out, there are so many variables involved that have nothing to do with the amp/effect sounding the way it does. It’s frequently useless .

I’ve tried presets that were purported to be near-exact re-creations of an effect. I never found one I considered even close. With *their* gear? It probably does….but not with mine.

With few exceptions (Eric Johnson being one), a player’s live sound is….kinda-sorta-not-really like their recorded sound.

Making the EQ curves match the amp profiled would be a disaster. Every amp would react differently to the controls. Confusion is all you’d get.

How do you remember what one amp does versus another so you can get the results you’re looking for quickly? And AC 30 reacts very differently than a Fender Twin or JCM 800 or…….

No, thank you.

As already mentioned, don't go cheap on the earbuds.

I would not suggest people buying el-cheapo IEMs, but as a first step a set of Shure SE215s are impossible to beat for all around value.

No - they do not compete with good, multi-driver brands - but they’re also WAY less expensive at $120 or so.

I’ve got a pair I’ve used at church since 2015 or so. Are they great? Well….they aren’t bad and they’re as durable as can be.

I replaced the cable once….in 7 years, being used a 4-6 times per month depending.

Bukovac is a beast. One you’ve never heard of - but definitely heard. An absolute monster player.

A first-call session cat in the order of a Tim Pierce, Steve Lukather or the late Tommy Tedesco.

The volume of the amp on the stage is a huge thing. I also run sound and have probably done almost as many gigs as a sound guy as I have with a guitar in my hand. I have done many gigs doing both at the same time. Many guitar players don't get the affects of the volume of their guitar amp on the FOH sound. I used to run sound for one band that was like pulling teeth to get the guy to turn down. I would have him all the way out of the mix and he was still too loud. I approached him one night after two or three songs and told him he got to make the decision on how the band sounded that night. He could either turn down and let me make them sound good, or he could leave it where it was and all people out front were going to hear was his guitar and his singer's voice would not make it through the night because she couldn't hear herself over his stage volume. He got ticked off at me but he turned down. I dialed them in during the next song and we moved on. His uncle was there there night and they talked at the first break. His uncle told him it sounded really good out front so he came over and told me that he heard that it sounded great out front. I told him that is because he turned down and let me do my job. Guess what happened at the next gig...I had to tell him to turn down again...

Years ago, a club owner told me that last week’s band had a guy with a Twin on 6 or 7 that would not turn down.

“It’s my sound.” He said.

The owner paid them at the end of the night and said something like “You guys are OK, but (pointing at the guitarist) this prick made it impossible for my servers and bartenders to hear our customers. You chased people away and cost us money. Don’t ever come back.”

Remember who agreed to book you, who’s paying you and what you’re there for.

You’re there for their customers. Not yourself.

I’ve played at church for 8+ years with in-ears only and play in a Rock band using a Kabinet to monitor while wearing quality filtered ear plugs.

I have no issues going back and forth.

The Kone and Kabinet are really for monitoring. They’re for the player - to get an amp in the room sound.

I point the Kab at me and away from the audience. The audience gets the mains sound, the sound engineer doesn’t have to contend with a speaker they can’t control and I can tweak so I can hear myself.

It works beautifully.