Posts by alerich

That sort button has always been available on the front panel all the time. If I set it to Sort by Author it sorts them (groups them) by author but each author's profiles are not listed in alphabetical order for that author. They were in OS 6 on my KPA.

I just updated the firmware on my KPA Powerhead to OS 7.0.9 and Rig Manager to 2.1.13. I am absolutely certain I got the OS version for the KPA and not the one for the Stage. I prefer to sort my profiles on my KPA by Author. They would then be listed alphabetically within that author's group. After the upgrade they are no longer sorted within the author's group alphabetically by profile name. If I sort by author in Rig Manager they sort as I would expect - listed by author and then alphabetically by name under the author. On my KPA they are just mixed up by name within the author group. After the update and after I noticed the problem I powered down the KPA and powered back up to let it reboot with the same result. Did I do something wrong or perhaps miss a new setting in OS 7?

The Duncan JB is on the hot side but it's very smooth and not harsh. I have to echo the other sentiments. I have four guitars with JB bridge pickups and I don't experience any of the nastiness you described in your tones. Even both of my Charvel San Dumbass guitars sound great through my KPA. :)

Another 108 for stereo ? ??

I run a pair of DXR10's that I'm very happy with. They aren't going anywhere. I've been down the "X is better than Y" rabbit hole enough times that I learned not to second guess and outsmart myself. Guitars, cabinets, speaker, pickups.. you name it. Not this time.

I probably would have bought (or at least looked at) the HeadRush 108 if this thread had existed five months ago. Five months ago when I got my Kemper the DXR10 was the clear powered FRFR recommendation. Now I wonder what will be the next recommendation five months from now?

Here's a short video that explains it:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

This suggestion assumes that you will be getting either the Kemper Stage or a regular Kemper with the foot controller. If you are looking for a little more volume for a solo boost (instead of a bit more gain) you could use the morphing feature which I think would actually work better and that would free up a stomp slot. Basically, you have your profile setup and then you press and hold the profile selector button on the remote briefly. The two green LEDS above the footswitch toggle. Now you are accessing a copy of the same profile but you can alter it and those changes will be saved when you store the profile. On that copy you just turn up the rig volume a little and store it. Press the switch again and the LEDS toggle again and you revert to the original settings. You get the same tone, just a little louder. I believe this will work in either browser or performance modes. I'm not keen on using the global noise gate at the input for everything. I like to have a stomp set to a noise gate that I can alter from one profile to the next as needed or leave it off if not needed.

I tried something today that I really like so far and thought I would share. I have a powered head but have been using a pair of Yamaha DXR10 powered monitors off of the monitor output because I prefer this instead of a guitar cab connected to the power amp.

Just for grins today I also connected the output of the KPA power amp to a 4x12 guitar cabinet (Soldano 4x12 with Celestion G12H30 speakers). My DXRs are doing more of the work than the guitar cab but the guitar cab can definitely be heard and seems to add a bit of that elusive "amp in the room" that everyone strives for. I get a fuller tone with better bottom end and a bit of actual guitar speaker coloration in the mix.

I left the cab output on since the DXRs need that but honestly when running a guitar cabinet alone off of the power amp I can't really hear much difference between the cab on or the cab off and both sound fine to me. I tried this setup using a Boogie 1x12 Thiele cabinet with a Mesa MC30 speaker but I didn't like it as much as the Soldano 4x12 but I don't really like that Boogie cabinet for anything. Bought it to match my JP2C head that I traded for my KPA. That's about all it was good for. Aesthetics. My girlfriend tells me that it is very important for things to match.

This is just another alternative and I like the way it sounds and figured someone else might benefit from it. If you have a powered KPA try it.

It really depends on several factors. One is what signal level your effects loop wants to see at its return jack. Many amps these days have an effects loop that is switchable between +4dB (line level like you would see on rack effects gear) and -10dB (like most guitar effects pedals output). Some amps have a variable line loop level control. Whether the amp has a master volume and where is it placed in the circuit (before or after the effects loop) will impact it. Many Soldano amps have the effects loop before the tone stack which adds another variable. This kind of setup involves a bit of trial and error and will vary from amp to amp. It seemed to work well in the video with that particular amp but that won't always be the case as you found out. It is not as clear cut as grabbing your Kemper, your guitar amp and a few cables. It will sound good in some cases and not very good in others. To work well you need a super clean power amp that doesn't distort at all and a volume or master volume available to set the level of the power amp.

This is a tough one since one man's trash is another man's treasure. When I first got my Kemper powered head about four and a half months ago I used a variety of 4x12 and 1x12 guitar cabinets I had on hand and I liked the results overall but could hear each cabinet impart its own footprint on the sound as cabinets do. I wanted to try the powered monitor route. There was no way locally to carry my Kemper and audition various units side by side (and I live in a major US market) so I read reviews. I settled on the Yamaha DXR10 powered monitor since it gets universally good reviews across the internet and it gets a lot of love here on the Kemper forums. It took a bit of experimentation with it as far as position for me. Standing upright at waist level - on it's side at waist level - et cetera. I found that I like them best on the floor angled up like a stage monitor. I just walked to my front door to find that Amazon has just delivered a set of Rockville speaker stands. I am going to try that option.

I am very pleased with the sounds I am getting. I bought a second DXR10 not to run in stereo but to create a bigger sound field. One 10" monitor wasn't cutting it from a sound pressure standpoint after years of playing two 4x12 cabinets. Having said all of that, you might really not like the DXR series monitors. It's a tough question to answer. Why does one person favor an open back speaker cabinet while another loves closed back front loaded cabinets? There is no universal solution to some issues.

I have downloaded (and subsequently deleted) too many free profiles to count and have purchased about a dozen different profile packs from three or four of the more popular commercial sellers. The only ones I seem to play are the profiles I bought from Michael Britt. All of the commercial packs I have purchased are pretty good but the Britt packs are really amazing. I like higher gain stuff (not heavy metal but Marshall/Soldano/etc.) and his packs fit the bill perfectly. I like his profiles so much I have started selling my amplifiers. I have sold four amps in less than two weeks. I can't see ever going back to conventional tube amps again.

Like every thing else about music this is all subject to taste. There are some very highly regarded profiles available in the Rig Exchange that I think sound pretty meh. You may feel the same way about the Michael Britt packs. Try out his free profile pack available here on the Kemper site (I think they may come pre-loaded on the Kemper. I bought mine used). If you like those you'll love the stuff on his site. I have profiled many of my own amps and they came out pretty good I think but just like recording music there is an an art and skill set involved with creating a really great sounding Kemper profile. Michael has that art down pat.

I do a quick backup each night before I shut down my KPA just to save any tweaks I may have made to my profiles. I save the profile after each tweak but I like the added insurance of a full backup. Only takes a minute. A good habit to get it. I do an "Export All Rigs" every so often, too but those take a while.

I actually finally took it out of the box and hooked it up and am running the two in stereo. Not sure I can sell I now because it sounds amazing in stereo.. You were right MuddySludge.. Deep down I knew you would be.. Thanks!

I hear ya. I have a powered head and ran it through various guitar cabs for the first week and overall I liked it. Then I bought a Yamaha DXR10 and loved it so much I bought a second DXR10 and that was the ticket. I'm not running in stereo but the sound field in front of me is incredible. I am never going back to guitar amps.

As long as your software runs on it, there is nothing wrong with using an OS that's "no longer supported." Unless you own MS stock, of course. :)

I actually have an old desktop system that I still use sporadically that runs Win98SE just fine. We have a desktop system at work running XP and another running Win NT. The NT system has ancient manufacturer proprietary software that we use to log into their equally ancient hardware that we still use. The software will not load or run on Win7 or Win10 systems. As you say, as long as your software runs it's all good. The NT system actually has a sticker on the front dated 1999 that certifies it as Y2K compliant and it was quite a few years old at that time.

I do not see Copy and Paste buttons on the front of the KP Stage. If it lacks those functions (or even has them somehow embedded in the controls) it would be of little value to me. I use that often to copy stomps and effects from one profile to another. Also, where did the Rig Volume control go? Still, a really cool permutation of the KPA for the live player.